Oberheim DPX1 floppy

HxC Floppy emulator support for all others Keyboards/Samplers...
k-Tracker

Post by k-Tracker »

tuf wrote:I'm having a hard time getting .eii images to work with my HxC. I'm not entirely sure of the process of converting an image with the software...is it enough to load the raw file and convert it or do I need to make sure all the image geometry is set before I convert the raw file?

Thanks!

Tuf
Tuf, are you talking about Emu EII images and HxC connected to EII? if so, it's not supported. However if you meant HxC connected to DPX1 and want to load .eii files then first you need to convert it to *.dpx format by e2todpx utility from E-Synthesis.

tuf

Re: Oberheim DPX1 floppy

Post by tuf »

It's been a while, but I'm just getting back to playing with all this stuff!

I've added a Kyroflux to the mix, but I'm still having problems. Perhaps someone with a Kyroflux and HxC can help me out here. This is what I'm doing:

1) I 'rip' a real Emulator II floppy using the Kyroflux. I use the EMUIIFD/EII image option provided by Kyroflux, and it works fine.
2) Using the HxC software, I convert the EMUIIFD image to an HFE file. I couldn't find any detailed instructions on how to do this, but I've tried every way possible using the software.
3) I place the HFE file onto my SD card and attempt to load it using the HxC. I've got two HxCs to test with btw (including a REV F) and I get the same response on both.

What happens is the DPX boots and tries to load, but it seems to stop on the 2nd sector (as shown on the HxC). No matter what I do, this is always the result.

Does someone who's had success with the DPX and the HxC (and hopefully the Kyroflux) let me know what settings you use in the HxC conversion and also how your HxC jumpers are set?

Thanks!!

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

tuf wrote: 1) I 'rip' a real Emulator II floppy using the Kyroflux. I use the EMUIIFD/EII image option provided by Kyroflux, and it works fine.
2) Using the HxC software, I convert the EMUIIFD image to an HFE file. I couldn't find any detailed instructions on how to do this, but I've tried every way possible using the software.
3) I place the HFE file onto my SD card and attempt to load it using the HxC. I've got two HxCs to test with btw (including a REV F) and I get the same response on both.

What happens is the DPX boots and tries to load, but it seems to stop on the 2nd sector (as shown on the HxC). No matter what I do, this is always the result.

Does someone who's had success with the DPX and the HxC (and hopefully the Kyroflux) let me know what settings you use in the HxC conversion and also how your HxC jumpers are set?

Thanks!!
Mhh in fact i don't see the point with Emu Floppy and DPX floppy. Is the DPX able to read EMU disks ?

tuf

Post by tuf »

Jeff wrote:
Mhh in fact i don't see the point with Emu Floppy and DPX floppy. Is the DPX able to read EMU disks ?
Yes it can read EII disks directly. I'm trying to image the EII disk using Kyroflux and load it on the DPX using the HxC.

tuf

Post by tuf »

Jeff wrote: Mhh in fact i don't see the point with Emu Floppy and DPX floppy. Is the DPX able to read EMU disks ?
I'd be happy loading _anything_ from an HxC...I've bought two over the last 2 years and have yet to load a file successfully from one :( (I've only ever tried with the DPX)

Need some help here. If I have an "EII Sector Image" ripped with a Kyroflux, what is the process for converting it for use with the HxC? I've tried both "Load" and "Load Raw Image" from the HxCFloppyEmulator software and then "Export" but the image it generates does not load successfully in the DPX-1.

Jeff_HxC2001

Post by Jeff_HxC2001 »

tuf wrote:
Jeff wrote: Mhh in fact i don't see the point with Emu Floppy and DPX floppy. Is the DPX able to read EMU disks ?
I'd be happy loading _anything_ from an HxC...I've bought two over the last 2 years and have yet to load a file successfully from one :( (I've only ever tried with the DPX)

Need some help here. If I have an "EII Sector Image" ripped with a Kyroflux, what is the process for converting it for use with the HxC? I've tried both "Load" and "Load Raw Image" from the HxCFloppyEmulator software and then "Export" but the image it generates does not load successfully in the DPX-1.
Before this why don't try know working image ? :

https://hxc2001.com/floppy_drive_emulat ... l#download
https://hxc2001.com/floppy_drive_emulat ... Images.zip

To convert EMU II image, just rename the file extension to .EMUIIFD, drag & drop the image on the software then export to HFE.

k-Tracker

Post by k-Tracker »

tuf wrote:

That's strange, I upgraded two DPX1 with HxC. Disconnect all drives. Check floppy ID on HxC it should be the same as 5.25" drive.
I'm loading DPX images that are previously converted from EII SD dumps to DPX format by EMXP DPX utility.

Jeff_HxC2001

Post by Jeff_HxC2001 »

k-Tracker wrote: That's strange, I upgraded two DPX1 with HxC. Disconnect all drives. Check floppy ID on HxC it should be the same as 5.25" drive.
I'm loading DPX images that are previously converted from EII SD dumps to DPX format by EMXP DPX utility.
So if i understand you, the DPX1 is not able to read native EII floppy disk ?

tuf

Post by tuf »

Jeff_HxC2001 wrote:
UPDATE: I found the problem - the stock floppy cable that comes with the DPX-1 is notched, but the notch is on the wrong side of the cable so it ends up being plugged in backwards to the HxC. Unreal!

So, I am able to load floppy images now...the blank images return the proper "dE" on the display for Disk Empty, and the Kyroflux image I made loads up to sector 71 and hangs, so I'll have to go back and play with that now that I've got the major problem worked out.

Thanks Jeff, you inspired me to re-check everything.

tuf

Post by tuf »

k-Tracker wrote: That's strange, I upgraded two DPX1 with HxC. Disconnect all drives. Check floppy ID on HxC it should be the same as 5.25" drive.
Hey k-Tracker:

I'm curious as to how you have your jumpers set up on the HxC. I'm assuming you left the 5.25 floppy drive in the DPX-1s. Currently I can't find a combo that works with both drives hooked up, but on its own I can get the HxC working jumpered as ID1A or ID1B, or ID3A or ID3B (acts the same no matter which one I try). I can't find the right combo to work with the 5.25 at the end of the floppy chain.

tuf

Post by tuf »

Jeff_HxC2001 wrote:
The DPX reads both (plus others). Mine properly detects the HxC image as an E2 image and loads it. I'd imagine it'd do the same with a native DPX image as well.

k-Tracker

Post by k-Tracker »

tuf wrote:
Hey k-Tracker:

I'm curious as to how you have your jumpers set up on the HxC. I'm assuming you left the 5.25 floppy drive in the DPX-1s. Currently I can't find a combo that works with both drives hooked up, but on its own I can get the HxC working jumpered as ID1A or ID1B, or ID3A or ID3B (acts the same no matter which one I try). I can't find the right combo to work with the 5.25 at the end of the floppy chain.
DPX1 could load EII images only from ID that corresponds to 5.25". I don't know the way to combine HxC and 5.25" drive. BUT it could load DPX format from both IDs. I don't have any floppy drives connected. My HxC has only one jumper. (don't want to confuse you, ID1 if I'm not mistaken).
I transfered all my library using EII together with SD, I don't need any kind of floppies any more :)

tuf

Post by tuf »

k-Tracker wrote: DPX1 could load EII images only from ID that corresponds to 5.25". I don't know the way to combine HxC and 5.25" drive. BUT it could load DPX format from both IDs. I don't have any floppy drives connected. My HxC has only one jumper. (don't want to confuse you, ID1 if I'm not mistaken).
I transfered all my library using EII together with SD, I don't need any kind of floppies any more :)
I was hoping to keep the 5.25 floppy in the DPX so I could 'preview' sounds, but I couldn't seem to get the HxC to work with the 5.25 also attached. It does work fine as the only drive in the system.

I noticed that the original cable in the DPX is not twisted, and the 3.5 floppy is set to MS and D0. I assume the 5.25 is set also to MS and D1.

And thanks for the help btw, totally understood everything you said :) The info about EII only being available on the 5.25 ID is interesting, and I'll check it out.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

tuf wrote: I was hoping to keep the 5.25 floppy in the DPX so I could 'preview' sounds, but I couldn't seem to get the HxC to work with the 5.25 also attached. It does work fine as the only drive in the system.
This should work... it the 5.25" drive working with the hxc ?

tuf

Post by tuf »

Jeff wrote:
tuf wrote: I was hoping to keep the 5.25 floppy in the DPX so I could 'preview' sounds, but I couldn't seem to get the HxC to work with the 5.25 also attached. It does work fine as the only drive in the system.
This should work... it the 5.25" drive working with the hxc ?
No, I can't find the right combination of drive jumpers, or the DPX does something weird with the 5.25 drive. I also noticed that with both the 5.25 and the REV F HxC hooked up to the DPX power, the DPX malfunctions (the display blanks out). I think there might be too much power draw by the HxC to work with the other floppy attached.