Jeff
Site Admin

Re: HxC Gotek and Sharp Mz-80b

Post by Jeff »

Have you an oscilloscope ?

arnuph1s

Post by arnuph1s »

no. Too rich for my blood and I have never had any real use for one. I have seen a video of a MZ-80b loading from a Gotek. If only the guy who did it could come here and chime in. Assuming he had the same I/O card I would love his input on the cabling. Because I am stumped.

My only hope is once the Lotharek HxC arrives it will work and I can just blame the Gotek!

arnuph1s

Post by arnuph1s »

Well. The Lotharek arrived and still no dice. Cannot get any images to load. The message 'RA' appears on the Lotharek when the sharp seeks it on boot and when I try to choose a boot floppy. Any more suggestions or should I start looking at refunds for the HxC software, Gotek and Lotharek?

Would love to hear from someone who got this working because I am not convinced its MZ-80 FIO compatible.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

This means that your wiring is wrong AND/OR that your floppy ribbon is defective AND/OR that your machine is defective : Gotek and HxC are two totally different hardware with different firmwares and you get the exact same behaviour.
Does the machine boot from the floppy drive ?

arnuph1s

Post by arnuph1s »

I showed you the wiring layout I used and it was been tried with two cables. Unfortunately I don't have the floppy drive unit for this machine as it is very hard to find. The IO card as far as I know is working as it was pulled from a working machine. If you have a suggestion for a wiring configuration I would be happy to hear it.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

arnuph1s wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:29 pm
I showed you the wiring layout I used and it was been tried with two cables. Unfortunately I don't have the floppy drive unit for this machine as it is very hard to find. The IO card as far as I know is working as it was pulled from a working machine. If you have a suggestion for a wiring configuration I would be happy to hear it.
The MZ80B compatibility was tested almost 10 years ago :

viewtopic.php?p=5868#p5868

Get the oldest HxC tool available. The v1.6.11.16 for example.
https://sourceforge.net/projects/hxcflo ... p/download
And try to reconvert some dsk to hfe with this version and try the hfe with the sd hxc floppy emulator.

arnuph1s

Post by arnuph1s »

Jeff wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:53 am
arnuph1s wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:29 pm
The MZ80B compatibility was tested almost 10 years ago :

viewtopic.php?p=5868#p5868

Get the oldest HxC tool available. The v1.6.11.16 for example.
https://sourceforge.net/projects/hxcflo ... p/download
And try to reconvert some dsk to hfe with this version and try the hfe with the sd hxc floppy emulator.
Thank you. I will try your suggestions. As for the 'tested' compatibility you mentioned. It's a shame that guy has vanished off the face of the earth as he left so many unanswered questions, Such as which card he used, the FIO or the custom SFD 800, his cabling as it looks straight through and if he used DSK or HFE images. So I am trying to re-invent the wheel.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

arnuph1s wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:52 pm
Thank you. I will try your suggestions. As for the 'tested' compatibility you mentioned. It's a shame that guy has vanished off the face of the earth as he left so many unanswered questions, Such as which card he used, the FIO or the custom SFD 800, his cabling as it looks straight through and if he used DSK or HFE images. So I am trying to re-invent the wheel.
This was 10 years ago... Can't blame anyone ;)

Anyway more recently with a SD HxC Floppy Emulator on a Sharp MZ-80K (2019):

<<<<Hi Jean-François!
Just to let you know my machine has just booted for the first time off an SD card 🙂 I hit a problem that I wasn't expecting - the CP/M card inside this machine (a rare upgrade) actually interfered with the boot process, meaning that the bootable disks I was making wouldn't boot until I removed it. But now it's working perfectly. Except for a RAM problem!
Many many thanks for all your help,
Kind regards,>>>>

arnuph1s

Post by arnuph1s »

Trying to get my hands on a SFD 800 card to try. The FIO card does not suffer the same issues as the 80K card you described but due to its age I want to rule out any issues with the card by trying a different one before I try again to rejig the cable.