EPS 16+ OS loads but no other disks (disk drive not ready)

HxC Floppy Emulator Ensoniq Keyboards/Samplers support
DBK

EPS 16+ OS loads but no other disks (disk drive not ready)

Post by DBK »

Hi,

i installed a gotek/hxc drive and while the OS loads just fine i can´t seem to open any other image, most of the time it says "disk drive not ready" or if i wanna save something it says "disk drive changed".

I installed the basic provided Ensoniq Stuff into the root of the FAT formatted USB stick.

No idea what to do now, any help would be much appreciated, love this thing already :)

Thanks!

This getting weird, suddenly i was able to load a couple of the quickstart efe and also the Voder Demo when trying to load an EFE that worked before i get the "disk drive not ready" again.

Please help. :)

mondo1976

Re: EPS 16+ OS loads but no other disks (disk drive not ready)

Post by mondo1976 »

DBK wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:02 pm
This getting weird, suddenly i was able to load a couple of the quickstart efe and also the Voder Demo when trying to load an EFE that worked before i get the "disk drive not ready" again.
You need a configuration which supports the proper disk change signal on pin 2.

Try this: http://www.mediafire.com/file/amczbxadz ... 9.CFG/file

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Which firmware version have you ? you may need to update it to the very last version.

DBK

Post by DBK »

Hey, thanks for the feedback. Mondo1976,i downloaded the config file and now it kind of works,yay!

when i loaded the OS i have to load something from the OS Disk, for example a FX file, now i can load whatever file/disk i want and it works, even saving does work. Occasionally i get a "disk has been changed" message but basically it works.

is it supposed to work like this?

The Firmware is Version is 3.1a

Thanks!

mondo1976

Post by mondo1976 »

DBK wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:14 am
when i loaded the OS i have to load something from the OS Disk, for example a FX file, now i can load whatever file/disk i want and it works, even saving does work. Occasionally i get a "disk has been changed" message but basically it works.
Might as well update to "HxCFEUSB_V3_3_7_1a", but I suspect part of the issue is the pause/delay that the Gotek takes to put new disk selections into effect. When you use the Gotek up/down buttons, wait for a good 5 seconds before attempting to load something from the newly selected disk.

If that helps, you can lower the disk selection time down to 1 second so that the Gotek will "activate" the disk image that you have selected on the Gotek screen with less of a delay.

It's possible to get it working properly, as my EPS16 doesn't throw those kinds of errors. However, I have definitely seen that issue and it's a very common problem. For some reason, the Ensoniq EPS and EPS16 want some bizarro disk change setup that nothing else uses, and that makes it fussy unless you've got it dialed in perfectly.

DBK

Post by DBK »

thanks man, sounds promising. where i can change this settings? the Config file just has a couple of weird signs in it :)

mondo1976

Post by mondo1976 »

DBK wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:57 am
thanks man, sounds promising. where i can change this settings? the Config file just has a couple of weird signs in it :)
Remove the USB stick and then you can hold down both the up & down buttons on the Gotek to enter the internal config menu. If you only have the normal 7-segment 3-digit Gotek display and not an OLED, you will have to refer to the readme that comes with the HxC firmware. It tells you which menu option is which, and how to see the Interface type (Generic Shugart), Family (Ensoniq), and --most relevant to what we're discussing-- the selection delay. *DO NOT* accidentally disable the selection delay if you don't have the third 'select' button option installed. Just lower it to 1 sec instead of its default of 4 seconds (or whatever it is on now).

The readme that I'm referring to is called "README_USAGE.TXT" and it's in the "Update_And_Usage_Documentation_README" folder of the Gotek firmware upgrade pack.

But... to make your life easier :D

Menu 0 - System family selection :
0F = Ensoniq

Menu 1 - Interface mode :
08 = GENERIC SHUGART DD

Menu 5 - Auto select delay :
01-08 : Delay (number of seconds) <---- CHANGE TO 1 SECOND AND NOT ZERO!!

Then Exit the config mode to save.

DBK

Post by DBK »

Great, i´m going to give it a try. My Gotek has an OLED screen but only two buttons, i guess i would prefer a third button to actually select a disk to load but i´m just happy it works now.

thanks again for helping me out, this drive really adds a lot to this fantastic instrument.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

the current version is 3.3.7.1a. You should update your firmware first.

DBK

Post by DBK »

Hi Jeff, tried to update but i get an [E01] which is assume is error one (one blink, one pause ...) which seems to be a non hxC flashed drive, which it is clearly not.

i have to say i bought it 2nd hand and already flashed.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

DBK wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:59 pm
Hi Jeff, tried to update but i get an [E01] which is assume is error one (one blink, one pause ...) which seems to be a non hxC flashed drive, which it is clearly not.

i have to say i bought it 2nd hand and already flashed.
Well... this explain everything... This EPS issue sounded odd to me...
You can get a true hxc firmware there : https://hxc2001.com/store/index.html
(This can be flashed with an usb stick, no need to open the machine. just contact me by email to have the files.)

DBK

Post by DBK »

accidental doublepost
Last edited by DBK on Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.

DBK

Post by DBK »

Thanks, Jeff. i wrote you am e-mail. I really thought i bought it Ensoniq ready and HcX flashed.

DBK

Post by DBK »

Alright, turns out i haven´t had a HxC flashed floppy Emulator. Jeff was kind enough to support me anyway and i ended up with a working and flashed drive, that´s quite something! I´ll happily buy the HxC Software.

Thanks, Jeff!