Detatched Capacitor on Gotek SFRC922D

Ttz0019

Detatched Capacitor on Gotek SFRC922D

Post by Ttz0019 »

Hey y'all, I'm trying to flash new firmware to my first Gotek board and so far it's been a nightmare. That said, this community is amazing and the support for this affordable and convenient solution that doesn't bother to provide its own documentation is incredible. I've searched and read a ton on this forum, others, and countless websites, but haven't seen a solution to this particular problem. Figured this is a good place to start.
To start off I bought my gotek hardware on amazon from https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BS85CN9/re ... 5Cb8NEVJDF and as stated in the title, the model I received is the SFRC922D.
I purchased header pins and the following usb-ttl adapter https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078W5L8W1/re ... 4CbFB5PZ9B
I also downloaded stm32 software to transfer the firmware, and the newest drivers for my ttl adapter.

Headers were soldered on, jumpered the first two pins to boot load, performed a loop test to confirm the adapter was working, powered the gotek with 5V, ground, and connected TXD and RXD swapped. I can give more information if it comes time to troubleshoot, but my other questions might make more information irrelevant.

At this point I noticed that the capacitor nearer to the ribbon cable pins was only soldered to the board by one pin. Every picture of the chip I've seen included it, so it doesn't make sense that it might have been left off due to model differences. That said, there is a third mounting hole on my board that seems different than every other picture I've seen. Is it possible that everything is right, and it's just a design change? It's worth noting that when the boot jumper is removed and voltage is applied that the default software does boot and light the 7 digit display. The power LED is not lit though.

I tried to flash software anyways, just to see what would happen and always received errors such as "Unrecognized Device" and "No Response From Target". Ive seen people fix these by applying better voltage sources, resoldering headers, shorting the reset pins...none of these have worked. Is it possible that eveything stems from that detatched capacitor? I'd rather try soldering it back on instead of returning it, if I knew it would help.

Thanks in advance for the help.

mikeyp

Re: Detatched Capacitor on Gotek SFRC922D

Post by mikeyp »

Capacitors should definitely have 2 wires. Perhaps you were sold a faulty unit? Anyway around, you'll need to repair or replace that capacitor if you're correct about it only having one leg. Could you post a photograph of the board and of the faulty capacitor? Can you also post a photo of how you're trying to wire the serial adapter to it?

There are plenty of pictures online showing how the boards should look. Just search "gotek circuit board" on Google image search.

Ttz0019

Post by Ttz0019 »

Would've added these yesterday, but I was having trouble finding a host.The first picture is of the capacitor. To clarify, it does have two legs but only one is soldered on. Its clearly not inside the painted circle, and the leads are bent as if it should skip the center terminal, but there's solder there. The other, front capacitor is the same way, but fully attached, outside the circle and skipping the center terminal. All the pictures I've seen have them mounted flush down to the board and inside the circles.

The second picture is of the ttl wiring. "USB" and "RXD" LEDs on the adapter are lit, but no lights on the gotek. I broke out a multimeter and confirmed I was getting a steady 5 volts.

Thanks again

https://imgur.com/DnnDi7K
https://imgur.com/JgNtOC6

Edit: Seems like I still can't figure out pictures. At least the links seem to work.

mikeyp

Post by mikeyp »

Looks like a manufacturing fault. I would solder that leg down to the far hole and make it look like this one.

http://www.everythingamiga.com/wp-conte ... d-pins.jpg

Ttz0019

Post by Ttz0019 »

I tried soldering that back down, but the joint wouldn't wet at all. Finally managed to get something to stick, but no change. Knowing that is was a manufacturer defect, I just decided to make a warranty claim and get a different one. Guess we'll find out in a couple days.

Just to be sure, the front LED should light up whenever the device has power, right? Regardless of if the boot pins are shorted?

Thanks for the help, I'll post an update when I get the replacement.

mikeyp

Post by mikeyp »

Ttz0019 wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 6:32 pm
Just to be sure, the front LED should light up whenever the device has power, right? Regardless of if the boot pins are shorted?
No, the green LED is an access LED which lights the same as on a floppy drive. The red one has other functions. There's no power light as such.

Ttz0019

Post by Ttz0019 »

So this sucks. Got my replacement board today and cracked it open. Capacitor is soldered on this time. Installed my headers and wired everything up...same response. "No response from target" and "Unrecognized device". I've tried 3V supply, 5V supply, Jumper on S0, S1, no jumper, and every combination. I've seen a few threads talking about compatibility between the ST32 loader and different windows versions, 32/64 bit and the like. Does everyone exclusively use older systems to flash new firmware?

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

If you use the HxC flasher, no, you can use any system you want.

Ttz0019

Post by Ttz0019 »

Moving in the right direction. Between all my research I confused myself, and assumed that I'd have to install hxc firmware via ST's flash loader demonstrator. I'd wanted to make sure I could talk to the board before I invested in software. Finally took the leap and your flashing software greatly simplified everything.

I'm trying to run in indexed mode, and have the configuration file loaded as instructed. Finally figured out that I need to create the .img file separately, instead of just dropping files onto the drive. Now when given power I simply get a flashing "Err". Does the Gotek need installed in a machine to text function and cycle through files? The problem is, I'm trying to replace the floppy drive on an injection molding machine that's run literally 24/7, and I can't take it out of production to trial and error it into working. I've seen that you've worked with arburgs before. Has anyone ever attempted a Ferromatik Millacron? Also, not sure if you want this to continue in this thread or to make another. Whichever you prefer.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Ttz0019 wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 11:32 pm
Moving in the right direction. Between all my research I confused myself, and assumed that I'd have to install hxc firmware via ST's flash loader demonstrator. I'd wanted to make sure I could talk to the board before I invested in software. Finally took the leap and your flashing software greatly simplified everything.

I'm trying to run in indexed mode, and have the configuration file loaded as instructed. Finally figured out that I need to create the .img file separately, instead of just dropping files onto the drive. Now when given power I simply get a flashing "Err". Does the Gotek need installed in a machine to text function and cycle through files? The problem is, I'm trying to replace the floppy drive on an injection molding machine that's run literally 24/7, and I can't take it out of production to trial and error it into working. I've seen that you've worked with arburgs before. Has anyone ever attempted a Ferromatik Millacron? Also, not sure if you want this to continue in this thread or to make another. Whichever you prefer.
Which files have you copied to the usb stick exactly ? (you can send me them to hxc2001 at hxc2001.com)

mikeyp

Post by mikeyp »

Ttz0019 wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 11:32 pm
The problem is, I'm trying to replace the floppy drive on an injection molding machine that's run literally 24/7, and I can't take it out of production to trial and error it into working.
Have you got an old desktop you swap out the floppy drive temporarily and try it in and get it working in before you move it to the target machine?

Also, my suggestion would be have a look at the instructions thread. It tells you all about how to setup and use your gotek with Jeff's firmware. https://hxc2001.com/docs/gotek-floppy-e ... c-firmware

Minimum you need a blank fat32 formatted memory stick. USB3 is better as the flash chips are faster and less likely to cause problems.
You need to download the firmware zip, unzip it somewhere and copy the file HXCSDFE.CFG from "...\HXCFEUSB_HFE_beta_firmware\Config_Files\Indexed_mode\" to the root of the stick. (eg. to E:\ if your memory stick is E:\)
You should copy the lastest .UPD firmware file from "...\HXCFEUSB_HFE_beta_firmware\WIP_Firmware" also to the root of your usb stick. Then follow the firmware update proceedure in that thread I linked.
Lastly, generate a blank 1.44MB HFE image file (It will be about 4MB actual size) as in page 5 of this guide https://hxc2001.com/download/floppy_dri ... al_ENG.pdf Once generated, you can copy it as many times as you need and name them DSKA0000.HFE, DSKA0001.HFE, DSKA0002.HFE etc. See the section on indexed mode in the thread above.

If you read up on it in those links, you should be able to get up and running no problem.