Empty disk image for the Sharp MZ-80K

HxC Floppy emulator support for all others computers...
minty

Empty disk image for the Sharp MZ-80K

Post by minty »

Embolden by my success with the Sharp MZ-80A (which has 5.25" floppies, unlike the Quick Disks of the later Sharps), I thought I'd have a go on my MZ-80K - and I'm stuck.

Unlike the 80A, there's no disk images out there, so I'm in virgin territory. What I do know is that it's a standard shugart interface, with SDDS FM encoded floppies. The Sharp website says:

"A disc is divided up into 70 tracks of 16 sectors each to give a total capacity of 1120 sectors. One sector can contain 128 bytes of data to give an overall capacity of 140K, the figure quoted by Sharp. Tracks are numbered from 0 to 69 with track 0 nearest the outer edge of the disc. Sectors are numbered from 1 to 16. In the Sharp System all even numbered tracks are on the top face of the drive and all odd numbered tracks in the lower face ( when the disc is in the drive )."
( https://original.sharpmz.org/mz-80k/disk01.htm )

So from that, I've set up the HxCFloppyEmulator to make a 35 track, 2 sided floppy with 16 sectors per track and 128 bye sectors. All other settings are currently at the default.

When I format the blank disk, all looks good, I can see it moving through all the tracks (so I know my cables are fine, etc) and it's only when it reaches the end does it come up with a 'no ready' message. I can't do a DIR on the floppy after this. Any ideas?

Many thanks in advance, Tony

Jeff
Site Admin

Re: Empty disk image for the Sharp MZ-80K

Post by Jeff »

Please share the formatted image.

minty

Post by minty »

Sure! For reference it's a RevC device, running v1.8.2.40 firmware and I'm using v2.1.22.3 of the software. I note that sometimes the device makes two alarm noises and then seems to crash at the end of the format.

Thanks, Tony
Attachments
formatted.zip
(14.37 KiB) Downloaded 251 times

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

minty wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:37 pm
Sure! For reference it's a RevC device, running v1.8.2.40 firmware and I'm using v2.1.22.3 of the software. I note that sometimes the device makes two alarm noises and then seems to crash at the end of the format.

Thanks, Tony
Thanks. The disk format is definitively special : the sector header seems to be compatible but the data section seems to be different.
Have you something to read a working disk (kryoflux) ?

minty

Post by minty »

Sadly, I don't have anything to read it, but I'll ask around. Any pointers on what I'd need to image a single density FM disk?

Many thanks for your help so far! Tony.

minty

Post by minty »

Ah, looks like I've found someone with a system that can do this - but we don't have Kryoflux. Would Imagedisk and/or Teledisk be okay?

minty

Post by minty »

Hi Jeff,

I got a friend to make me Kryoflux images of some example floppies, but the files are too large to upload here. Is it possible to send them (or a link to them) to you directly?

Cheers, Tony

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

minty wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:16 pm
Hi Jeff,

I got a friend to make me Kryoflux images of some example floppies, but the files are too large to upload here. Is it possible to send them (or a link to them) to you directly?

Cheers, Tony
send me a link to hxc2001 at hxc2001.com