Subdirectory support on Gotek

Jeff
Site Admin

Re: Subdirectory support on Gotek

Post by Jeff »

I will first fix the hxc software to convert properly these images. I am not sure that these cases are correctly handled today. then i will have a look to the gotek firmware. i am not sure yet which solution to apply here...

Bagpuss

Post by Bagpuss »

Hi Jeff,

Just wanted to ask if you'd had any time to look at this, per your previous update?
Totally understand that this is probably not high on the list of things to do.

Thanks,

Andy.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Yes i have currently lots of work on various projets.

I hope to release an software version in some weeks.

Bagpuss

Post by Bagpuss »

Okay. I think I'll have to move over for the time being.
I've got a project to complete, and at the moment, HxC isn't able to work as I need it to.

I'll keep an eye on things, and hopefully, the issues with handling these Acorn/BBC files will be sorted in the future.

Thanks again for all you help.

Andy.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

So finally this appears to be urgent :wink:
Shame you didn't answered me at the beginning of this years, i had more time to work on this.

Anyway HFE files with the SD HxC Floppy Emulator are working fine with the Acorn machines and this is what HxC users with Acorn machines are using. (And these HFE are working too with the current HxC Gotek firmware...)

Regarding the Gotek, maybe i am wrong, but it seems that the Acorn community is not very interested the hxc firmware for gotek (i think i got only feedback from you about the acorn+hxc gotek) so i can't decently push the "buggy" Acorn file images support as a priority. And i still think that trying to extending/fixing file image is not the floppy emulator's job.

i don't distribute publicly anymore the others firmwares for legal/license reasons, but send me an email to hxc2001 at hxc2001.com if you want anyway this upd file.

(EDIT : Dilemma solved by email :) )

Bagpuss

Post by Bagpuss »

There's nothing quite like a deadline to bring things into focus. :wink:
To quote Douglas Adams, "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by."
I can only apologise for not being more responsive in the past. Other work/personal pressures meant I didn't have a lot of free time.

Totally understand about the HFE files. For better or worse, the Acorn community still prefers the SSD/DSD format that's used by the BBC emulators.
I think you're right about the community in general. They do seem to prefer "the other firmware", which I think, is down to the fact that operation with the native images (especially truncated ones) works well.

Personally, I think it would have been better if the emulators that create these images had never done so, but it's where we are right now. Back in the day, saving a few KB would have been worthwhile. These days, it's a non-issue.

I know the audience for Acorn+Gotek+HxC is small, so I understand it's not a priority. If you do have time in the future, then I'll always be happy to test things.

I really appreciate your support.

Regards,

Andy.