Korg Trinity + Gotek with HxC problem

Ramucho

Korg Trinity + Gotek with HxC problem

Post by Ramucho »

Hi,

I've a Gotek flashed with a fresh HxC firmware and installed it in my Korg Trinity synth and I've some problems. I've formatted a 4GB USB stick (FAT32) and created 3 DOS images on it (DSKA0000.HFE...DSKA0002 and HXCDFE.CFG files). In the SDCard HxC settings, I've checked indexed mode and let all other parameters by default. Now, it's time to test if everything is alright ! I insert the stick in the Gotek and push the disk button on my synth. Yes, I can see the files but, big problem : I can't select any of them using the up and down buttons or the touchscreen. Touching the screen is like refreshing the disk, the synth detects a medium change and reloads the disk instead of loading a file. So, I tried different configurations in the SDCard settings but without success. I changed the mode and interface settings. Only the Gotek's jumper SD1 is set. The old floppy drive is a Panasonic JU-257A726P. It's like the Gotek doesn't release a signal (drive changed or ready ?) and the synth thinks the load isn't complete or something like that. BTW, the USB stick LED doen't stop flashing regularily like the Gotek reads it looking for something. Can anyone help me, please ? I saw a topic in this forum about the Panasonic floppy drive I have and it seems to be solved now. Regards.

Ramucho

Re: Korg Trinity + Gotek with HxC problem

Post by Ramucho »

Hi,

More informations here. Before I have flashed my Gotek with HxC, I used it and was able to select a file with the touchscreen (in fact it doesn't work with the up-down buttons :) ) of the synth and load it. The only problem with Gotek's firmware is that the synth was not able to detect a disk changed and I need to switch off and on the synth and then select the disk image before loading it. Now, with HxC firmware, I can't load any images and can only refresh the disk. I also tried to replace my old PC floppy drive (SONY without any switches on it) and could read a floppy without any problem. So what now ?? Well I don't know. Anyone has an idea ? Jeff, please can you help me :)
Regards

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

What display the gotek ?

Ramucho

Post by Ramucho »

Hello,

I made a breadboard today which I plugged between the Gotek and the floppy cable of the synth. On this board I've 2 jumpers, one on pin 2 and one on pin 34. I made some tests. It appears that pin 2 is not connected. Only pin 34 is necessary. I managed to load files !!! But I need to do some tricks manually :

1 - Close jumper on pin 34 to allows the synth to refresh the image on USB stick
2 - Select the image number to load on the gotek
3 - Press the disk button (or touchscreen) to enter disk menu
4 - Open jumper on pin 34 (no more refresh)
5 - Select the file to load with the touchscreen

That's all !! It's working but how to do that correctly automatically ? Is it a problem of the Gotek signals configuration ?

Below, switches configuration of the original floppy drive :

SW1 - RY - DC -> DC (Pin 34)
SW2 - OUT NC IN -> NC (Pin 2)
SW3 - D0 D1 -> D1 (drive 1)
SW4 - not implemented
SW5 - PC AT P2 SE -> PC
SW6 - MS MO -> MO (motor... ???)

Maybe it can help. Anyone has an idea ?

Ramucho

Post by Ramucho »

Jeff wrote:What display the gotek ?
The Gotek displays "hXc" when no USB stick is inserted and then the image number. Nothing special. :)
Last edited by Ramucho on Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Try to change the interface mode setting into the cfg file with the hxc tool.

Ramucho

Post by Ramucho »

Jeff wrote:Try to change the interface mode setting into the cfg file with the hxc tool.
I think I did all possible combinations but nothing changed. I also try custom signal on pin 2 and pin 34. but no better :(
BTW, why are there 3 signals DiskChange and nDiskChange ?

Is a disk changed signal sent every time I push the buttons (change the image file) ?

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

You must set the interface mode to IBM PC HD (1.44MB) and set the jumper position to S1.

Ramucho

Post by Ramucho »

Jeff wrote:You must set the interface mode to IBM PC HD (1.44MB) and set the jumper position to S1.
That's what I've ever done, but it didn't work. It runs exactly like described in my first post.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Ramucho wrote:
Jeff wrote:You must set the interface mode to IBM PC HD (1.44MB) and set the jumper position to S1.
That's what I've ever done, but it didn't work. It runs exactly like described in my first post.
Share your HFE + CFG files please.

Ramucho

Post by Ramucho »

Jeff wrote:
Ramucho wrote:
Share your HFE + CFG files please.
I share the files. Can you see them because I don't see anything ;)

Does the Gotek send a disk changed signal every time I press the buttons ? It's like the disk changed signal is never released that's why I can't load files. It should be released once a refresh is done.

According to me, the disk changed signal must be asserted each time an USB stick is inserted and each time I change the image number with the pushbuttons. So, the synth can refresh the files directory when its touchscreen is touched. After that, the signal must be deasserted, so I can select the file to be loaded. This is exactly what I do with my bredboard and the jumper on pin 34.

I replace the original floppy drive and use the bredboard with jumper on pin 2 opened. I confirm that this pin is not used.

Ramucho

Post by Ramucho »

Hello,

I've found this site http://www.hermannseib.com/english/synt ... floppy.htm and some explanations about how the pin 34 works :

DC/Ready :
"IBM Mixture; the drive still signals "Not Ready" after the diskette is changed and a new one has been inserted. To find out whether this state is the result of a completed disk change, the controller has to cause the drive to change the current track; this resets the Disk Change flag and the "real" Drive Ready signal is reported."

Does HxC works like that ? Because this is typically what that doesn't seem to work with my Gotek HxC firmware.

@jeff : did you receive the files you expected ?
Regards

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Ramucho wrote:Hello,

I've found this site http://www.hermannseib.com/english/synt ... floppy.htm and some explanations about how the pin 34 works :

DC/Ready :
"IBM Mixture; the drive still signals "Not Ready" after the diskette is changed and a new one has been inserted. To find out whether this state is the result of a completed disk change, the controller has to cause the drive to change the current track; this resets the Disk Change flag and the "real" Drive Ready signal is reported."

Does HxC works like that ? Because this is typically what that doesn't seem to work with my Gotek HxC firmware.
Yes it should in the IBM PC mode. Anyway i will check this point.

Ramucho

Post by Ramucho »

Hi Jeff,

I hope you'll find something wrong :)

BTW once this problem will be solved, you'll have to correct some "strange" behaviours with the 2 buttons :

1 - There is something like a debouncing problem or a too short delay between pressing the button and repeating
2 - If you have severals images on the USB stick and you keep the up button pressed long, the images numbers are cycling, which is a normal behaviour, but the loop is not infinite. For example, I've 4 images on the USK stick and I press the up button for a long time, then I can see the digits go from 000 to 003 for 3-4 times and the sequence stops. The behaviour of the down button is different : the sequence stops when the digits reach 000. Shouldn't it loop to maximum image number downto 0 again and again ?

I know the firmware's status is beta and needs some improvements. I hope my comments will help you.
For the moment, the most important is to make the Gotek work with my synth :)

Ramucho

Post by Ramucho »

Hi there,

@Jeff : Do you have some good news for me, please ? ;)