Hxc Rev3: track change too slow?

HxC Floppy Emulator on Amstrad CPC support
Jeff
Site Admin

Re: Hxc Rev3: track change too slow?

Post by Jeff »

TFM wrote: Please compare loading speed from real 3.5" disc on real CPC6128 with HxC. Needs 512 KB RAM.
I have only 64KB.

Which sector interleaving should be used ?

TFM

Post by TFM »

Sorry, I try to do this. Just need to get a 3.5" drive (will happen in few time hopefully). :-)

TFM

Post by TFM »

Hi!

Eventually I could do all this tests... Loading 480 KB takes with a 3.5" floppy on CPC either 26-27 seconds (Atari ST floppy at CPC) or 27-28 seconds (PC floppy at CPC).

Now with the HxC the time is about four times longer: 1 minute and 52 seconds, equals 112 seconds!!!

That's quite a lot.

Would be great if this issue can be fixed, I'm willing to test new firmware versions of course. Let me know it there are questions.

Used OS; FutureOS
Used DSK; 80 Track, DS, Vortex, 480 KB file
CPC: 6128
Floppy: 3.5"

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

According to Targhan and my tests this is already solved.
Are you sure you are using the latest firmware and software version ?

Can you at least share the used dsk file ?

Is the issue specific to FutureOS ? If yes, i can't test/reproduce the issue nor correct it ... :-/

TFM

Post by TFM »

Jeff wrote:According to Targhan and my tests this is already solved.
Are you sure you are using the latest firmware and software version ?

Can you at least share the used dsk file ?

Is the issue specific to FutureOS ? If yes, i can't test/reproduce the issue nor correct it ... :-/
Yes, we talked about that before. Therefore I did the tests. Targhans issue may be better or solved, but not my issue here, which is similar, but not the same.

FutureOS reads the sectors in the physical way they show up on a track, and this works for all real 3", 3.5" and 5.25" disc drives since two decades. Some waiting-variable in the HxC probably needs to be corrected.

Of course I did use the last firmware, as indicated before. :-//

If you can't run FutureOS why pointing to a DSK? It all can be found on www.futureos.de
But please here is is... the used DSK was:
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/DarthVader.zip

How to solve the problem? Read sectors from a physical disc in the order they appear, then do that with the HxC and you see the difference. Or do a read of multiple sector IDs.

It would be great if this can be solved, because I guess that other efficient routines / DOS / OS dealing with the 765 will use similar techniques.

Good luck!!! :)))

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

TFM wrote: How to solve the problem? Read sectors from a physical disc in the order they appear, then do that with the HxC and you see the difference. Or do a read of multiple sector IDs.
And so ? What is the difference ?

I think that you are better placed to made some tests : increase the gap, and pre gap values maybe interesting.

Here is an XML file of this image, and an HFE file generated from the HFE file. Just modify the xml and load it then export to hfe to generate differents timings.

https://hxc2001.com/floppy_drive_emulat ... SK_xml.zip

I don't have machine to test it (and i am almost sure that this is not just an sector order issue...)
TFM wrote:dealing with the 765 will use similar techniques.
Which one ?

TFM

Post by TFM »

Look, the problem is HxC specific. I can't help it. I don't speak XML, but Z80. With 765 I do mean the FDC765.

The used format is Vortex, the most common standard format (at least it was back the day in Germany), it has 9 sectors per track and 80 tracks doublesided. MFM. 704 KB free, two system tracks. Nothing special at all.

Interestingly using Single Sided Data format (also 9 sectors) does NOT make problems.

Both formats have the same GAP 3 etc.

The problem is the HxC, after changing a track it is somehow too slow. After reading one Sector from one side, it take it too long to be able to read from the other side.

That's the only way I can explain it.

Please try to fix the firmware :-)

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Fix what precisely? I need to know what is the problem exactly. And the problem need to found by many tests and parameters changes. Your problem may be produced by tons of reasons. And btw, the problem is maybe not into the firmware (Have you try to format/write this dsk directly to the hxc to get the right format ?)...

Don't get me wrong, but without any way to test it, no, i will not fix it. This is just impossible.

BTW you don't even bother to test the hfe file in my previous post, so why i should?

TFM

Post by TFM »

As told I don't speak XML and I don't know what you suggest there. NO reason to act snappy, I just tried to help. But you have to understand the the problem is HxC specific, it doesn't happen with any other real drive. Now you expect me to do your job? Sorry, I have to do mine already. Tried to explain couple times in the most easy way: The HxC's simulated head MOVES TOO SLOW! What can I tell more?

I'm willing to test any firmware update.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

TFM wrote:The HxC's simulated head MOVES TOO SLOW! What can I tell more?
No. Once again this is not the issue here. And the fact that you don't see the issue with single sided images prove it.

I need to be able to reproduce the issue here to understand it and solve it.

That's all.

TFM

Post by TFM »

To reproduce the error you need a CPC6128 and and Flash/EPROM card to run FutureOS. Even if you lack the 512 KB expansion the loading time will be the same since it will "just" overwrite the same expansion RAM. I would send you an unit if I wouldn't sit in New Orleans for a while.

Would it help to do something like a sector scan? Means to see which sector "come up" after each other on real CPC vs. HxC?