How to create an unformatted floppy disk?

HxC Floppy Emulator on IBM PC and compatible support
iooo

How to create an unformatted floppy disk?

Post by iooo »

Hi, if I use the format from the template, the created HFE file works without problems, I can format it, write data to it, make the image bootable. However, if I use the "custom" format and enter the correct parameters, the image cannot be formatted and cannot be used. I'm doing something wrong? Thanks for any advice.

This works:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pNiHVd ... sp=sharing

This doesn't:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1m1QzSs ... sp=sharing

Jeff
Site Admin

Re: How to create an unformatted floppy disk?

Post by Jeff »

18 512-bytes sectors per track is a HD format . You need to change the bitrate to 500000.

iooo

Post by iooo »

Thank you. But it still doesn't work. Should I change any more parameters? Is it possible to find out some parameters what the template uses? Is there a description of all parameters in the "RAW File format configuration" window? What parameters to choose, for example, for a 5.25 "1.2MB floppy disk? This is not in the templates. Thank you very much.

iooo

Post by iooo »

Now I've tried this: I created a new floppy from the template and saved it to the SD card as an HFE. Then I exported it to XML. Then I created a floppy using the saved XML instead of the template and saved the resulting floppy to SD card in the HFE format. The first HFE works without problems, the second not (drive not ready error).

Please, is there any source how to set GAP3 and PREGAP for PC formats like 5,25" 160k, 180k, 360k, 1.2MB anf 3,5" 720k a 1.44MB?

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

I think this the interface mode : You probably need to set it for ibm pc. this can be set in the hfe or the cfg file or in the hxc floppy emulator embedded menu.

iooo

Post by iooo »

Thank you very much, it works. However, I did not understand how to set the interface in the GUI for the floppy disk being created. Finally, I exported the floppy to XML, edited the interface, and imported the XML back. So this is solved.

Please, can you confirm or refute if the rpm parameter has any effect in the XML or is it ignored and only the bitrate is used?