DosDiskBrowser and PC Hidden / System Files

HxC Floppy Emulator on IBM PC and compatible support
cube1us

DosDiskBrowser and PC Hidden / System Files

Post by cube1us »

I am testing out my new greaseweazle (which is going to be a lot more convenient than dragging my HxC hardware or Gotek over to a real device, or using my old catweasel card), and used it to make images of a couple of PC Disks, one 3.5" HD and the other 5" HD. That worked great, and the HxCFloppyEmulator software accepted the .scp images and the disk browser let me extract the files - EXCEPT that it would not show or allow me to extract the hidden / system files that happened to be on the 3.5" disk (the 5" disk didn't have any). For comparison purposes I also read these disks under Win98 with real floppy drives and extracted the files using winzip.

System files such as the directory <System Volume Information> and hidden files like "WP ROOT. SF" and "EA Data. SF" that happened to be on my test disk did not show up on the disk browser. (It matters, because some floppies I have are OS/2).

Am I missing something, or is this just a shortcoming of the software?

Thanks.

JRJ

Jeff
Site Admin

Re: DosDiskBrowser and PC Hidden / System Files

Post by Jeff »

If you want something to exchange files with a machine supporting FAT floppy disks, i recommend you to forget the greaseweazle, the hxc software, the floppy disks and the files images :wink:

You should use a Gotek with the HxC firmware and the Floppy Emulation from USB stick partitions feature :

https://hxc2001.com/docs/gotek-floppy-e ... ition.html

No more image ! Just drag & drop the files on the stick. This a lot more convenient in daily use !

cube1us

Re: DosDiskBrowser and PC Hidden / System Files

Post by cube1us »

Well, I was actually doing this to test the greaseweazle itself. I am not doing this JUST to exchange files - I have other ways to do that, even with old systems (though just using SMB on Windows 10 doesn't work with older Windows systems that use SMB V1 any more ;)).

I read all sorts of disks for my collection: 8", 5" in various formats, etc. A lot of those I read with a catweasel, but that is rather inconvenient to use, as compared to the greaseweazle. I also have the HxC hardware, and I do also have a GoTek which I purchased as a backup, and plan to load it with the HxC firmware. [Loading the HxC firmware onto the GoTek is also proving to be a royal PITA, either I have the wrong password or it doesn't like my Pololu programmer's serial TTL port for some reason.]

Also, rather than (inaccurately) trying to suss out my motivation (which in this case was just to understand the software and to test the greaseweazle), might be better for someone to actually answer my question. ;)

JRJ