HXC rev F trouble in PC 8088 compatible machine: no booting. updating firmware fails

HxC Floppy Emulator on IBM PC and compatible support
Eckhard

HXC rev F trouble in PC 8088 compatible machine: no booting. updating firmware fails

Post by Eckhard »

New in this forum I hope somebody can help me with solving problem. I checked few topics here. none of my HFE will boot.

I owned a brandnew HXC Floppy Emulator Rev F SD card. Using in a compatible 8088 Carry I PC. He has two disks a´ 720k. One of them (a:\) I interchanged with the HXC. I have read the manual(s). Hardware setup is hopefully correct: Power ok, floppy interface connection with twisted floppy ribbon, Emulator is set to ID1A=on, ID0A=off. Formatted SD card FAT 32.

I created HFE with a WINDOWS 10_64 bit machine, using HxCFloppyEmulator_software, newest version 2.5.6.7. Emulator settings are:
1. Indexed mode: not marked
2. Auto boot mode: not marked
3. HFE interface mode: IBM PC 720k, Auto: not marked
4. SD Floppy emulator interface setting: Drive A from HFE. 2 drives simulation: not marked. Drive B input: not marked
5. --> saved HXCSDFE.CFG file directly to SD card, before exporting floppy image to SD card.

I have converted my working MS-DOS 720k-bootfloppy, 3,5´´, and working MS-DOS 1.44M-bootfloppy, 3,5´´to HFE format. I loaded a few pre-installed HFE from "QuickInstall_FloppyDiskImages". I tried other images. I'm unable to boot in any way I try. I also tried other. Nothing will boot. I used differnet SD cards: no booting.

BIOS of the Carry PC count up to 640k, floppy access LED is working, then also for 1 second the card access LED. But then nothing happens, except for 5...10 seconds card access LED lights again. Then appears message "Drive not ready in A: Press any key....." . Pressing right ("next") button on HXC I can see the generated HFE on SD card shown by alphanumeric backlight LCD, but pressing any key on keyboard makes no effect.

edit: also Emulator firmware update fails. pressing left and right buttons before powering up HXC makes no effect. No updating, no messages.

I am helpless.
Somebody here to give me a brainstorming? Thx,

Regards
Eckhard

Jeff
Site Admin

Re: HXC rev F trouble in PC 8088 compatible machine: no booting. updating firmware fails

Post by Jeff »

Maybe this XT / 8088 use another interface setting ?

Can you read on the emulator screen ? (a picture please).

(The bootloader can be a bit picky about the sdcard content : To update the firmware you should use a "freshly" formatted sdcard).

Eckhard

Re: HXC rev F trouble in PC 8088 compatible machine: no booting. updating firmware fails

Post by Eckhard »

Hi Jeff,

thx for answering.
Because I´m not so very familiar with old 8088 - what do you mean with "another interface setting"? Can you explain pls?
This 8088 is booting well with his two 3,5´´ floppies: BIOS starts with typical "ticking" up to 640k, then access to floppy a:\, heard ticking and loading DOS 3.3. No problems. Both floppies a:\ and b:\ are working fine.

Now I´ve interchanged a:\ with Emulator. Tried standalone Emulator/together with floppy b:\, another ribbon/untwisted ribbon with ID2A...nothing works.

And yes, I´ve used a freshly formatted SD card to update firmware. By the way: can I check version of firmware on emulator?
And yes, I can read Emulator screen : it shows name of the HFE file. If necessary I can change files with emulator button. 10 sec light on but no effect. no counting up. Screen shows something like "T:000/80 S:0". No changing, no upcounting of T:. As I´m supposing while access "ticking" must be heard if upcounting T:, but nothing heard.
Of course I´ll post pic of the screen - but maybe you can answer again? Thx for that,

Regards
Eckhard
Attachments
pic while firmware update
pic while firmware update
PHOTO_20210226_110501.jpg (57 KiB) Viewed 4258 times
PHOTO_20210226_110350.jpg
PHOTO_20210226_110350.jpg (60.14 KiB) Viewed 4258 times
PHOTO_20210226_110340.jpg
PHOTO_20210226_110340.jpg (57.72 KiB) Viewed 4258 times

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Eckhard wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:21 am
And yes, I´ve used a freshly formatted SD card to update firmware. By the way: can I check version of firmware on emulator?
Yes : remove the sdcard and press the select button. There is a menu to read the version :

About the update : what is the error code (led blink code) ?

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

For the firmware update procedure :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XUwg-7sDY4

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

For the drive troubleshooting :

- Set the switches ID0A,ID1A,ID2A and ID3A (1,2,3 and 4) to ON.
- Reset the internal settings (remove the sdcard, choose "Clear Settings -> Clear EEPROM")
- Use a Bootable DD 720K HFE image. (please share it btw, i will check it)
- Try different interface modes : Shugart, PC 720K... (remove the sdcard, choose "Interface CFG" to change the interface mode)

Btw which 8088 PC it is exactly ?

Eckhard

Post by Eckhard »

Hi Jeff,

thx again for answering.
1. How to share/attach *.cfg and *.hfe? --->both Files not allowed to attach. renaming to e.g. *.gif --->to big
2. after clearing EEPROM reset switches ID0A...ID4A to only ID2A=on before making new *.hfe file?
3. This 8088 is a "Flytech Carry I Model FT-8100" 8088 clone 10MHz XT PC. NOT an original IBM PC.
Nec V20, 9,54Mhz (originally 8088 CPU, 9,54Mhz), 640Kb Ram, - 2x 720Kb Floppy Drive, CGA/Hercules Video, 4 DIP Switches,- from 1990.

Regards
Eckhard
Attachments
Flytech Carry  I FT-8100.jpg
Flytech Carry I FT-8100.jpg (135.25 KiB) Viewed 4247 times

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Eckhard wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:26 pm
Hi Jeff,

thx again for answering.
1. How to share/attach *.cfg and *.hfe? --->both Files not allowed to attach. renaming to e.g. *.gif --->to big
Send me them by email to hxc2001 at hxc2001 dot com
Eckhard wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:26 pm
2. after clearing EEPROM reset switches ID0A...ID4A to only ID2A=on before making new *.hfe file?
no keep the four switches to ON for the test

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Ok got the image, thanks. The problem is probably related to the way this image was created : It has a MSWIN4.1 (Windows 95) boot sector. I am not sure that this boot sector is compatible with the dos version and the 8088 machine you are using. (EDIT : No, i am sure now : the MSWIN4.1 boot sector is looking for the IO.SYS file, not present in the IBM DOS...) I suppose that you have created this image with the hxc software dos disk browser ?
Have you a *.IMG/*.IMD/*.DSK image of this boot disk ?

Eckhard

Post by Eckhard »

Jeff,
1. I´ve sent two fresh 720k- images *.IMG
2. Yes, first sent image: created with the hxc software dos disk browser
edit
3. EEPROM cleared, trying again with built *.hfe file but no effect
Regards
Eckhard

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Eckhard wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:58 pm
Jeff,
1. I´ve sent two fresh 720k- images *.IMG
2. Yes, first sent image: created with the hxc software dos disk browser
edit
3. EEPROM cleared, trying again with built *.hfe file but no effect
Regards
Eckhard
DOS3.3_720k_b.img : Still have the Windows 95 boot sector. Not good for ibm dos.
DOS3.3_720k_a.img : This image is invalid to me.

You must have/use a boot image with the right bootsector : Why are you trying to use this specific dos files ?
Have you the boot floppy disk ?
Can't the standard MS DOS img be used with this machine ? :
https://winworldpc.com/product/ms-dos/320

Eckhard

Post by Eckhard »

Hi Jeff,

:D :D excellent!!! Working!!! Great!!

I tried this
Can't the standard MS DOS img be used with this machine ? :
https://winworldpc.com/product/ms-dos/320
Yes, problem is/was the MSWIN4.1 (Windows 95) boot sector. You´re right!!!
MAYBE last year I´ve created my DOS3.3-diskette with a WIN_XX-PC.
Problem with updating firmware solved: newest(?) version HXCFE_V1_8_6_19a shown in emulator display.

Which switch I have to use for booting automatic? (at the moment I have to press emulator button, choose *.hfe, then starting)
Again: GREAT!!! Thanks alot for your assistance and understanding.

Regards
Eckhard

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Eckhard wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:19 pm
Which switch I have to use for booting automatic? (at the moment I have to press emulator button, choose *.hfe, then starting)
You mean on the emulator ? The last selected image should be reloaded automatically at power up.

(think to restore the normal switches settings.)

Eckhard

Post by Eckhard »

Jeff,
is it possible to change switches in software HxCFloppyEmulator_Emulator settings to catch booting without pressing buttons on Emulator?
Can I create subdirectories on SD Card - one sub for one Operating system, e.g. DOS3 / 6.22 / 3,5´´/ 5.25´´/.../? Working?
Regards
Eckhard

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Eckhard wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:38 pm
Jeff,
is it possible to change switches in software HxCFloppyEmulator_Emulator settings to catch booting without pressing buttons on Emulator?
I don't understand. This is the default behaviour. the last selected/loaded image is loaded at power up.
You can also use the "STARTUPA.HFE" feature : rename your boot image to "STARTUPA.HFE" and use the attached config file.
HXCSDFE_CFG_STARTUPA.zip
(211 Bytes) Downloaded 152 times
Eckhard wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:38 pm
Can I create subdirectories on SD Card - one sub for one Operating system, e.g. DOS3 / 6.22 / 3,5´´/ 5.25´´/.../? Working?
Regards
Eckhard
Yes sure.