P70 PS/2 - made correct cable, Rev C still won't read any images

HxC Floppy Emulator on IBM PC and compatible support
spacecadet

Re: P70 PS/2 - made correct cable, Rev C still won't read any images

Post by spacecadet »

Jeff wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:07 am
After clearing all the settings to default values, do you still read "RB" ?
No, it says RA now. I just needed to set it to single drive mode for that. You can see what it's doing in that short video I linked to above. It seems like it should be working at this point, but I have no idea why it's not.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

spacecadet wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:56 am
Jeff wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:07 am
After clearing all the settings to default values, do you still read "RB" ?
No, it says RA now. I just needed to set it to single drive mode for that.
No, not good enough. Please set the double drive mode and check that you still have "RA". if you got "RB" please fix the jumper.

spacecadet

Post by spacecadet »

Jeff wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:33 am
No, not good enough. Please set the double drive mode and check that you still have "RA". if you got "RB" please fix the jumper.
Sorry for the delay, was away for a couple days. Anyway I tried what you said; I set the config back to double drive mode, then cleared the internal settings without the card in it, put the card in and booted with the jumper in the same setting. It still says "RA" but won't read anything. If I put both the jumpers in the way it says for the opposite cable type, it says RA and RB correctly (it tests both drives on boot, then says "RA" if I type "a:"). So it's basically the same result if I remember right.

I wonder if I've got a shorted pin or something on either the HxC or my motherboard. It seems like it's doing everything but read the data in the image. Pin 30? Is there a way to test that pin with a multimeter (and would that help)?

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

spacecadet wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:00 am
I wonder if I've got a shorted pin or something on either the HxC or my motherboard. It seems like it's doing everything but read the data in the image. Pin 30? Is there a way to test that pin with a multimeter (and would that help)?
yes. but this can be others signals as well : pin 2 (density),34 (disk change), 32 (side), 8 (index)

If stepping is working up and down & the machine detect the drive correctly, we can assume that 26 (track 0), 20 (step) , 18 (dir) are ok.
You can ignore write signals for the moment : 22 (write data) , 24 (write gate), 28 (write protect)

Have you a way to run ImageDisk on this machine ? :
http://www.classiccmp.org/dunfield/img/index.htm

This software have some tests stuff that may help to fix the issue.

spacecadet

Post by spacecadet »

Jeff wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:38 am
Have you a way to run ImageDisk on this machine ? :
http://www.classiccmp.org/dunfield/img/index.htm
I did finally do that - it seems like the controller is fine.

Also, I bought a cheap Gotek just to help me rule in or out the controller, and it works fine! Using the same cable I made for the HxC. It worked right away; all I had to do was change the jumper to "drive select 1" on it. So I just cannot figure out what is going on with the HxC. The controller works, the cable works; either the HxC just still isn't configured right somehow, or maybe there's actually something wrong with it?

I'm going to see if I can try the HxC on a different computer, but as of now basically all the PC's I own are problematic like this; none of them allow just a straight standard 3.5" floppy, so I need to make more cables to test it. I'll do that soon; I really do want to get the HxC working even though I have the Gotek, because the HxC is a much nicer device.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

ok ! maybe the machine need some additional pull up/bus termination on the floppy bus.
On the Rev F there is some non-populated resistors available to add them. On the Rev C this is unfortunately not present.
If possible you can try to add 2.2Kohms pull-up resistors on pin 2,34 & 30.

Is the P70 schematic available somewhere ?

Trialer2021

Post by Trialer2021 »

Anyone "solved" this?
btw I am adding link to https://ardent-tool.com/docs/pdf/ps2_fd ... 194_00.pdf the IBM PS/2 3.5 Inch Floppy Disk Drives Technical Reference and https://ardent-tool.com/floppy/Floppy_Pinouts.html which could help.

fidelware

Post by fidelware »

yes, The assembly is correct, but the data cable must be flat, it does not have to have a twisted part The assembly is correct, but the data cable must be flat, it does not have to have a twisted partª