Unable to image 720k floppy!

HxC Floppy Emulator on IBM PC and compatible support
snhirsch

Unable to image 720k floppy!

Post by snhirsch »

No luck with image captured from known-good 720k 3.5" diskette either. Capture runs on Windows PC with no errors, convert to HFE --> Copy to USB --> Insert in Gotek --> Boot PC --> "Drive not ready".

The only thing that has worked so far is:

Create blank image with HxCFloppyEmulator --> Copy HFE to USB --> Assign Gotek as Drive B --> Boot real floppy as A: --> Format Gotek w/ system --> Copy files. This image will now boot (although very slowly) and operate properly.

So, NO captured image wants to work. Any more information needed? Please ask!

Jeff
Site Admin

Re: Unable to image 720k floppy!

Post by Jeff »

Have you correctly set the interface mode before exporting the HFE files ?

snhirsch

Re: Unable to image 720k floppy!

Post by snhirsch »

Jeff wrote:Have you correctly set the interface mode before exporting the HFE files ?
I have been using HxCFloppyEmulator to convert from IMD --> HFE and do not see an option for setting interface mode during that process. Are you saying that I need to additionally modify the .CFG file? I guess what's confusing me is that I thought the emulator figured out the mode from the HFE file.

Update: Now that I've gained a bit more familiarity with the environment I realize that the original IMD didn't have enough information in it for HxCFloppyEmulator to encode drive type in the HFE. After I modified the CFG file to present itself as "PC_DD" it did work.

Question: In what circumstances would HxCFloppyEmulator be able to correctly encode the drive type into the HFE? Are there source formats that convey this information?