Unable to image 1.44M floppy

HxC Floppy Emulator on IBM PC and compatible support
snhirsch

Unable to image 1.44M floppy

Post by snhirsch »

I am having no success trying to image a known-good 1.44M floppy. ImageDisk reads it without incident, but when I convert to HFE and try to start that, the computer complains "Drive Not Ready" at boot. The emulator is otherwise working correctly: If I create a blank 1.44M image using HxCFloppyEmulator I'm able to format that image on the computer, copy system and files to it and boot it.

I also tried converting the .IMD file to a sector image using the ImageDisk IMDU utility, then used HxCFloppyEmulator to read that and export HFE. No luck, same failure.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Update: I've tried a number of other methods to create an HFE from the diskette: HxC floppy direct load from physical media and SAMdisk copy to dsk --> HFE. Same problem: "Drive Not Ready".

Is this supposed to work? Is this forum active, or should I be asking in a different venue?

Jeff
Site Admin

Re: Unable to image 1.44M floppy

Post by Jeff »

Jumper setting problem ? Floppy ribbon connection problem ? Gotek not in indexed mode ?
What say the gotek ?!

snhirsch

Re: Unable to image 1.44M floppy

Post by snhirsch »

Jeff wrote:Jumper setting problem ? Floppy ribbon connection problem ? Gotek not in indexed mode ?
What say the gotek ?!
Jumper is correct. No ribbon problem. Gotek is in indexed mode.

This exact setup works fine with an image that I format on the Gotek while attached to the machine. The problem is that I'm unable to use an image that's either converted from ImageDisk OR read from physical floppy using the HxCFloppyEmulator program.

It is not something as basic as what you imply.