ST Spectre Mac Image Support

HxC Floppy Emulator on Atari ST support
goochman

ST Spectre Mac Image Support

Post by goochman »

On the ST David Small created a disk format that worked on ST drives but was usable under his Spectre 128 Mac emulator.

Curious if anyone has looked into supporting these disk formats for the ST HxC (I have a GoTek)?

Jeff
Site Admin

Re: ST Spectre Mac Image Support

Post by Jeff »

goochman wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:23 am
On the ST David Small created a disk format that worked on ST drives but was usable under his Spectre 128 Mac emulator.

Curious if anyone has looked into supporting these disk formats for the ST HxC (I have a GoTek)?
Is the format described somewhere ?

goochman

Post by goochman »

Jeff thanks for the reply. Sorry for the delay in responding as Ive been out of town.

My understanding is the Spectre software provides a HFS/MFS compatible format that an Atari ST drive can read/write. There is a software utility called the DoubleClick formatter which can create these disks.

Im happy to try and create a few and attach here if that would help? They are 800k in size and emulate the Mac format.

If there is support for 800k Mac disks through some other mechanism then I think that should work as most ST Spectre users have a GCR which can read original 800k Mac floppies.

I would also add that the big benefit to this for Atari users would be if the DiskBrowser software could allow users to move files on to these MFS/HFS disk images.

Let me know if there is something I can do to help here.

goochman

Post by goochman »

I have a couple of images I was able to convert but they are too big to attach for me? One image zipped is 443kb.

goochman

Post by goochman »

Here is a Wiki on the Mac HFS format:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hierarchical_File_System

It is not the same as HFS+ which is used today.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

goochman wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:00 pm
Here is a Wiki on the Mac HFS format:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hierarchical_File_System

It is not the same as HFS+ which is used today.
This seems to need lots work, unless there is a C library able to handle this file system.

goochman

Post by goochman »

Yes Im pretty sure it would be and most likely not a ton of interest - was just hoping maybe someone had looked into this but apparently not.