I just cannot get it working?

HxC Floppy Emulator on Atari ST support
FatRakoon

I just cannot get it working?

Post by FatRakoon »

Admittely, I have lost patience with it.

I have the USB floppy emulator, v3.0.6.6a
No matter what I try, I have simply failed entirely, to get it working, or to get it to do anything other than crash my Atari.
I have tried various firmwares, and bugger knows whats on it now.
It never sees the Floppy, assumes there is no disk, or simply crashes the Machine entirely?

Can anyone give me a run-down on what needs to be done, starting with Flashing it, and then what files it needs to work as a floppydisk.

I have a TT030 and a Falcon060 ( CT63 ) if that makes ANY difference?

On and off, I have tried dozens of varations and files and whatevers, but I have simply failed to get it working at all.

Thanks.

Jeff
Site Admin

Re: I just cannot get it working?

Post by Jeff »

FatRakoon wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 1:36 am
I have the USB floppy emulator, v3.0.6.6a
i suppose you have a gotek drive ? First please update this prehistoric version to the latest current version :

https://hxc2001.com/download/floppy_driv ... rmware.zip

https://hxc2001.com/download/floppy_driv ... _notes.txt

USB HxC Floppy Emulator Update procedure :

:arrow: Copy the new firmware file (*.upd) to a FAT32/FAT16/FAT12 USB flash device.
:arrow: Insert the USB Stick into the emulator and press both buttons.
:arrow: Power up the device and keep the buttons pressed during at least 2 seconds.
:arrow: Wait some seconds... its done !

Bootstrap error codes:

Error 1 : (blink 1 time and 2 seconds pause cycle) No entry point (->no software flashed)
Error 2 : (blink 2 time and 2 seconds pause cycle) USB init error.
Error 3 : (blink 3 time and 2 seconds pause cycle) FAT error.
Error 4 : (blink 4 time and 2 seconds pause cycle) UPD File not found!
Error 5 : (blink 5 time and 2 seconds pause cycle) Bad UPD File header! (bad file)
Error 6 : (blink 6 time and 2 seconds pause cycle) Bad data crc! (file corrupted)
Error 7 : (blink 7 time and 2 seconds pause cycle) Bad data size!
Error 8 : (blink 8 time and 2 seconds pause cycle) Write error (STM32 flash error)

Jeff / HxC2001
And what is crashing exactly ? The file selector ?

tzok

Post by tzok »

Are you sure you are connection the ribbon cable correctly? Connecting it upside-down may damage the Gotek drive! In the Falcon, contrary to the ST models, you don't need to flip the cable/mount the unit upside down. It will look wrong, but that is the correct position.

FatRakoon

Post by FatRakoon »

Sorry for the extremely late reply.

No excuses, I have just simply been out of the race for a while.

Im here anyway, so just in the hope that I might stil get help....

The ribbon cable is correct way around yes

I am not completely sure if the Firmware is correct or whather the USB is done right?
I have tried on and off for a few days and to be completely honest wwith you, I am not completely convinced that its me anymore? Unless I have fallen into that pit, where you are simply repeating the same thing and thinking that I am doing it differently, when I am not...

Inotice that there are some for sale again from Australia, and delivered they are just over £50 and Im even considering buying another just because I am right on the cusp of simply smashing the whole Falcon with a hammer.

If anyone is in the UK, do you fancy earning a few quid?

I can either PPG ot BT you some cash and I can post this out to you, you, along with a USB FlashDisk, and you can get it working for me, with the jumpers in the right place, and then you can post it back ( I will of course also cover full postage on top of whatever you want to do it ? )

Or, can anyone actually point me to a morons list of what I need to do... Assuming that EVERYTHING is wrong!

I am really at a point whgere I just cannot pass.

FatRakoon

Post by FatRakoon »

Oh, just to clarify...

The display is now showing "nor" with a large ( but not capitalized "n" ) and small "or"

It allows the Flopy icons on the Desktop, but trying to double click or access them, says there is no disk in A: or B:

The jumpers are all in a row, and I have currently got a jumper on MO ( which I assume is MOTOR? ) and SO ( I assume is disk 0 ? )

I have tried each jumper and they either stop the Floppy icon from appearing in the desktop, in which case thats not the direction I need to go, or they do, and that is... Its therefore obviously seeing something?

I have also powered on, with the *.upd file only as the first unfragmented file... The only file and then defragged it to be 100% and held the buttons for a fair while, not just a few seconds and it kind of cycled / rotated the numeric display and I did this until the cycling stopped, and I have doen this with a few .upd files, but its currently using the one in the link right up there.

I have chucked a few .ST / .MSA files on there to see if I can get them to play, but no!

Oh, and its FAT32 32GB - I will try a smaller USB Flashdisk. I have a few 4GB and 8GB ones around.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

FatRakoon wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:51 am
Oh, just to clarify...

The display is now showing "nor" with a large ( but not capitalized "n" ) and small "or"

It allows the Flopy icons on the Desktop, but trying to double click or access them, says there is no disk in A: or B:
I am sure you will find the explanation/solution there :

https://hxc2001.com/docs/gotek-floppy-e ... oting.html

;)

FatRakoon

Post by FatRakoon »

Ah, ok cool, so I am definitely on the right track then.

nor = NORMAL is much better than err or as is so often in my case.. tit

And rename the files...

I will have to read the docs beter than simply shoot through them.

FatRakoon

Post by FatRakoon »

WOW, that was quick.

Ok, well, yes, its working, but In a kind of "WHAT THE HELL DID I DO?" way?

I booted up in 030 mode and I was presented with a white screen with RED text that was clearly the FloppyEmu config program, and so I had a bit of a play and I was able to add the 3 .ST files and one .MSA file, to its list.

After some messing about I was able to save and reboot and I got to the desktop.

Now, I loked and it showed me 000 ( 3 Zeros ) and when I doubled clocked on the Floppy A: it faqiled, but I clicked on the buttons and I was able to select 001 002 and 003 as well as 000 and with 001 and 002 I was able to open up the Floppy and it showed me an AUTO fodler in both of those and I need to go back to HATARI and have a look cos yeahg, I think those did only have an AUTO folder in them... Im sure I had issues anyway.

The 003 file was simply just a load of garbage as if the file was corrupt.

So, yeah, given that these were simply a few files that I had quick instant access to, and that I know I had issues with the Floppy images in Aranym and Hatari anyway, I think that the very limited messing about I have done in this last half an hour, have been a complete success.

I will get some MSA and ST files that I know are good and have another shot at it... Not now, tomorrow cos I never got any kip last night and I am beat right now.

Im feeling very good though so yeah, thanks for this. I really appreciate it.

I am seriously thinking of diggin out my STE though cos I dont like having to turn the Falcon on and off every few seconds, plus it takes a while to fully boot up and so I will play with the ST while I am doing my playing about.

Beddy-byes now though...