Problem Changing Disks

HxC Floppy Emulator on Amiga support
shuttle

Problem Changing Disks

Post by shuttle »

Hi,

I received my HxC in the post the other day for using with my ST and Amiga and been having fun ever since. The only problem I have is changing disks on either platform.

I've read the manual over and over again, tried various jumper settings but no matter what, I don't get the drive select option on the HxC screen. If I run it in autoboot mode and place a 2 disk game in slot 1 (drive a & b) there is no options to change drive.

The only instance I can get the drive select option on the screen is if I use the process above and break out of autoboot mode but holding down the middle button. This then means I'm unable to select the files that I assigned to the slots.

I'm guessing it something I'm doing but have you ever come across this problem?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks for a great product though, really enjoying the possibilities of what this can do. :D

Cheers,

Sam

Jeff
Site Admin

Re: Problem Changing Disks

Post by Jeff »

Dispatch your disks image in slots , not in drive a/b.

drive a & b is used to emulate 2 drives in the same time. in this case you need 2 jumpers (please have a look to the use manual).

shuttle

Post by shuttle »

Hey Jeff,

Thanks for the reply. The Autoboot configuration that I was trying (a & b drives) was with two jumpers. My only thought was that maybe the second jumper I was using might have been defective as no drive select option was present.

Will try some others and see if I have any more luck.

Cheers

pulkomandy

Post by pulkomandy »

There is an option in the CFG file to enable the drive selector.
You also ave to press the middle button for a long time (~1 second) to get there.

shuttle

Post by shuttle »

Thanks for the advice, but I've tried now with brand new jumpers and I am only still able to emulate a single drive.

There is some other weird behaviour which could hintnat a defective unit perhaps? Should I detail the other problems I having in this thread or start a new one?

By default drive selection option is enabled right? you have to disable in settings. Switching this option to on or off makes no difference.

Many thanks

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

shuttle wrote: I've read the manual over and over again, tried various jumper settings but no matter what, I don't get the drive select option on the HxC screen. If I run it in autoboot mode and place a 2 disk game in slot 1 (drive a & b) there is no options to change drive.
The right question is : Why do you want "change drive". I fact i don' t understand what you are trying to do.

shuttle

Post by shuttle »

Hey Jeff,

Sorry if I wasn't explaining it properly.

The main problem I am having is when I load ADF's in to slots and boot them up on my amiga 500, the hxc device bleebs and flashes quickly between the message "reading fat" and the hxc welcome screen and then resets itself. It happens almost at random. Sometime it's happens after a minute in to a game/demo, during loading, and sometimes it happens as soon as I turn it on.

I wondered if it might be either jump settings, irregular power supply (amiga/motherboard) or my memory card. Each time I format with SDFormatter with "Full Erase". I followed everything in the manual from checking if the IDE is twisted or straight, checking the power lead from the motherboard to the hxc device, and the jumper setting which all seem to be fine. I've tried different versions of the software too bur the problem still seems to happen. I having problems trying to pinpoint what might be causing the problem.

I've tried with normal and autoboot start ups, without success.

The SD card I using isn't listed but is a high grade (fast) photographic SDHC card. It's model is a ProSpec 8GB 150x Class 6. §

What would be the best way for me to trouble shoot this issue?

Thanks

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

shuttle wrote:The main problem I am having is when I load ADF's in to slots and boot them up on my amiga 500, the hxc device bleebs and flashes quickly between the message "reading fat" and the hxc welcome screen and then resets itself. It happens almost at random. Sometime it's happens after a minute in to a game/demo, during loading, and sometimes it happens as soon as I turn it on.
Ok so this is probably a power supply issue.
Please check the floppy power supply connector
Be carrefull ! In amiga : Brown wire = 5V Red wire = 12V !!!
Please check in the manual the connection instructions !

Also try this firmware update :
https://hxc2001.com/floppy_drive_emulat ... 6_4_4A.UPD

shuttle

Post by shuttle »

Thanks Jeff I'll give them a try.

Cheers

danko

Post by danko »

I,have a same problem with games with multiple disk such as ATR (All Terrain Racing) where it requires to play the second disc to be inserted in DF0, I still have not figured out how to do HxC is updated with latest firmware 1.7.2.0..... :(

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

danko wrote:I,have a same problem with games with multiple disk such as ATR (All Terrain Racing) where it requires to play the second disc to be inserted in DF0, I still have not figured out how to do HxC is updated with latest firmware 1.7.2.0..... :(
Just select the other image / change to the slot with the other image.
If doesn't work -> Check the hxc jumper setting: Should be set to ID0-A
If still doesn't work -> Try to change the floppy cable.

danko

Post by danko »

Jeff wrote:
danko wrote:I,have a same problem with games with multiple disk such as ATR (All Terrain Racing) where it requires to play the second disc to be inserted in DF0, I still have not figured out how to do HxC is updated with latest firmware 1.7.2.0..... :(
Just select the other image / change to the slot with the other image.
If doesn't work -> Check the hxc jumper setting: Should be set to ID0-A
If still doesn't work -> Try to change the floppy cable.
Ok, sorry for delay,i understand the mechanism to operate that particular game (ATR) but now I have another problem with 2 games:
Arabian Nights and Football Glory both games are 2 disk when I go to change disc by entering the second disk does not start,text remains on the screen that tells you to insert the second disc ......
I tried to click with the mouse buttons,joystick and space bar and enter,but will not start,there is a solution?
Best Regs

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Do you have corrected the hxc jumper setting ?

danko

Post by danko »

Jeff wrote:Do you have corrected the hxc jumper setting ?
Hi,i have left as I received without moving any jumpers because I worked, if the problem is the jumper I have to open amiga, what jumper's this? then because some games are not others?

Edit
Solved this problem thank you Jeff! this problem is jumper setting move ID3 to ID0.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

danko wrote:
Jeff wrote:Do you have corrected the hxc jumper setting ?
Hi,i have left as I received without moving any jumpers because I worked, if the problem is the jumper I have to open amiga, what jumper's this? then because some games are not others?

Edit
Solved this problem thank you Jeff! this problem is jumper setting move ID3 to ID0.
Common problem :wink: