My first experience with this HxC on amiga

HxC Floppy Emulator on Amiga support
TTD

My first experience with this HxC on amiga

Post by TTD »

Hi HxC Floppy Emulator lovers,

I have brought some old amiga stuff and to my notice there was such board with it, but must admit here I'm totally newbie.

I have figure out, the card is a rev B pcb, and there is something I don't understand when I try use it, it gives me no text in the display is this only special for rev B boards?

I have seen it work but just with one file and game name called Ports of Call with alot of other files on the sd card but when try switch with buttons it did nothing.

After that I have done:

I have try then reformat the sd card put config for df0 and amiga and .cfg file and autoboot since only one file was able to work for me before, even with alot of other files was on the sd card, maybe I just do it wrong, therefore I join this community hope I can get some kind of help. :)

I could not get the help screen before I got this further but here it ends for me, here it gives me an new error :

Bad signature - HxC Floppy Emulator not found!

Maybe because I have no other files yet, but then what to do?

Files on sd card at the moment is:
HXCSDFE.CFG
HXCFE_V1_6_0_0.UPD (should I remove this)?
AUTOBOOT.hfe

I still don't have any info on the lcd display, so what next to try.

Jeff
Site Admin

Re: My first experience with this HxC on amiga

Post by Jeff »

About the LCD, try to turn the potentiometer present at the right of the LCD.
You should see something.

Anyway try to update the firmware :
https://hxc2001.com/floppy_drive_emulat ... rmware.zip

TTD

Post by TTD »

Thanks Jeff for the suggestion, have try the potentiometer allready but no info there other than it looks like alot of space (no text) so color of the display should be fine, but no info like. I have seen on other examples, but most of them is used is rev C pcb. the one I have is still only rev B.

I will try asap update the firmware, but maybe that is the problem that I cannot update it.
I must also confirm that the guy that have this before me have problem maybe done some bad soldering, so need to check something some of the function when use button is not actually happend thing the switch 1 is dead.
Last edited by TTD on Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

TTD wrote:Thanks Jeff for the suggestion, have try the potentiometer allready but no info there other than it looks like alot of space (no text) so color of the display should be fine, but no info like. I have seen on other examples, but most of them is used is rev C pcb. the one I have is still only rev B.

I will try asap update the firmware, but maybe that is the problem that I cannot update it.
I must also confirm that the guy that have this befor eme have problem maybe done some bad soldering, so need to check something some of the function when use button is not actually happend thing the switch 1 is dead.
The Rev B like the C should show something on the LCD...

TTD

Post by TTD »

Jeff wrote:
TTD wrote:Thanks Jeff for the suggestion, have try the potentiometer allready but no info there other than it looks like alot of space (no text) so color of the display should be fine, but no info like. I have seen on other examples, but most of them is used is rev C pcb. the one I have is still only rev B.

I must also confirm that the guy that have this befor eme have problem maybe done some bad soldering, so need to check something some of the function when use button is not actually happend thing the switch 1 is dead.
The Rev B like the C should show something on the LCD...
Hi Jeff,
I have download the firmware, and see something in the text file.
I must be advice correcty here, how can I check for this chip:
22/08/2010: Firmware SD HxCFloppyEmulator v1.3.0.0
- Amiga Write support added :

Note to the Revision B PCB owners :

To activate this new features you need to add a Microchip 23K256 SPI SRAM chip and 4 resistors.
The connection to do is :

23K256 pin 1 -> 220ohms resistor -> PIC18F4620 pin 22
23K256 pin 5 -> 220ohms resistor -> PIC18F4620 pin 27
23K256 pin 6 -> 220ohms resistor -> PIC18F4620 pin 28
23K256 pin 2 -> 220ohms resistor -> PIC18F4620 pin 29
23K256 pin 8 & 7 -> VCC3.3V
(this voltage can be found at the capacitor under the sdcard connector or at the output of the regulator)
23K256 pin 4 -> GND
23K256 pin 3 -> Not connected.

(a 100nF capacitor is also recommended at the pin 8 of the 23K256)

After this modification you should see the message "SRAM OK" at power up.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

For the moment don't do this mod.
Just update your firmware to get your board working.

TTD

Post by TTD »

Ok what is the best step to do to update the firmware?
Because no change, I use my amiga 500 kickstart 1.3 without any extra memory the HxC floppy should emulate df0: the only one and cable is from amiga floppy drive and volt should be fine. :(
I have reformatted try put the file onto the card just red blinks, no floppy led blinks.
I have try then reformat try bootloader thing no change and led display shows only text like space (nothing info)
When I use stuff from manager to amiga I get this error
Bad signature - HxC Floppy Emulator not found!
When screen gives me bad signature - Red and green leds is active, yellow nothing here

Files at the sd card atm is the following:
AUTOBOOT.hfe
HxC_SD_Bootloader_V1_0TOV1_1.upd
HXCFE_V1_6_0_0.UPD
HXCSDFE.CFG

To be honest I think the board is dead. :(

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

TTD wrote: To be honest I think the board is dead. :(
Or just not updated since age... If you can boot from it, the board isn't dead at all...
TTD wrote: Ok what is the best step to do to update the firmware?
Follow the instructions present in the txt file.

TTD

Post by TTD »

I have try that and no luck, when I try only the red and green is lighting up, it says in txt that yellow then it's complete - But I dont get why it says bad signature card not found as error.
The only thing I can get to work is format card fat32 use floppy emulator to amiga put files from emulated df0 and HXCSDFE.CFG then I get the funny message about bad signature and it ends here - I have copy files from old setup when try to get these back the files or old game PoC can not be loaded in again.
I really thing this card is defective when try use switch the dont react on anything. :(

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

TTD wrote:I have try that and no luck.
When you try this :
SDCard HxC Floppy Emulator Update procedure :

For users with the firmware V1.2.0.0 or above jump to the step 2) directly (No Bootloader update required)

1) Bootloader update (for users with a firmware below the version 1.2.0.0)

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!! Warning : DO NOT CUT the power supply of the board during the bootloader programming ! !!!
!!! In case of power loss, the device may be unusable and need a factory reprogramming. !!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-> Copy the new bootloader file (HxC_SD_Bootloader_V1_0TOV1_1.upd) to a freshly formated FAT32 SDCard.
-> Insert the SDCard into the emulator
-> Press Left and Right buttons before power up and keep it pressed at least 1 seconds at power up.
-> Wait some seconds. When 2 leds are blinking (Sdcard access led and Floppy Access led) it's done !
(to be sure wait 1 minutes before removing the power supply).

After this the firmware must be flashed. (Please go to the step 2: Firmware update)

2) Firmware update

-> Copy the new firmware file (*.upd) to a freshly formated FAT32 SDCard.
-> Insert the SDCard into the emulator
-> Press Left and Right buttons before power up and keep it pressed at least 1 seconds at power up.
-> Wait some seconds .... its done !

Note 1:
The file must be unfragmented on the sdcard and must be in the first part of the root directory.
For these reasons it is recommended to use a freshly formatted FAT32 SDCard, otherwise you may get the error 4 or 6 (see note 2).

Note 2:
Bootstrap LED error messages:
Error 1 : (blink 1 time and 2 seconds pause cycle) No entry point (->no software flashed)
Error 2 : (blink 2 time and 2 seconds pause cycle) SDCard init error.
Error 3 : (blink 3 time and 2 seconds pause cycle) FAT error.
Error 4 : (blink 4 time and 2 seconds pause cycle) UPD File not found!
Error 5 : (blink 5 time and 2 seconds pause cycle) Bad UPD File header! (bad file)
Error 6 : (blink 6 time and 2 seconds pause cycle) Bad data crc! (file corrupt)
Error 7 : (blink 7 time and 2 seconds pause cycle) Bad data size!
Error 8 : (blink 8 time and 2 seconds pause cycle) Write error (Pic flash error)

Jeff / HxC2001
What "LED error messages" do you get ?

TTD

Post by TTD »

Reply to case 1:
I have format FAT32 sd card try first copy HxC_SD_Bootloader_V1_0TOV1_1.upd
When I do this do 1 sec with mouse pressed it gives me blinking red continuesly, green is not blinking at all just on all time.
Only file now on sd card is HxC_SD_Bootloader_V1_0TOV1_1.upd nothing else, it clicks like the normal amiga drive would do if that was connected.
Power has being going on for atleast 5 minutes it says 1 minut.

Reply to case 2:
I have then reformat the sd card FAT32 and copy the file HXCFE_V1_6_0_0.UPD result same as case 1. other than .upd file is changed.

The best guess is Error 1, that nothing is flashed. :(

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

TTD wrote:Reply to case 1:
I have format FAT32 sd card try first copy HxC_SD_Bootloader_V1_0TOV1_1.upd
When I do this do 1 sec with mouse pressed it gives me blinking red continuesly, green is not blinking at all just on all time.
Only file now on sd card is HxC_SD_Bootloader_V1_0TOV1_1.upd nothing else, it clicks like the normal amiga drive would do if that was connected.
Power has being going on for atleast 5 minutes it says 1 minut.

Reply to case 2:
I have then reformat the sd card FAT32 and copy the file HXCFE_V1_6_0_0.UPD result same as case 1. other than .upd file is changed.

The best guess is Error 1, that nothing is flashed. :(

No... you didn't entered into the update mode :
Please press the Left and Right buttons in the same time when the emulator is off, then switch on the power supply and Keep pressed the Left and Right buttons.

TTD

Post by TTD »

Thanks for all help Jeff,

If you mean I do it wrong with using mouse then ok for me, but then there is a problem with
switch 1, if you mean I should press these SW1 and SW3 button instead of mouse left and right buttons.
I can see bad soldering on switch 1, you also have probarly a correct view of rev B because the pcb is modded allready with alot of wires also wires where SW1 to SW3 was.
When I look at it SW1 have bad soldering so I should try repair it?
Yes I have soldering tools not that I'am perfect to it.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

TTD wrote:Thanks for all help Jeff,

If you mean I do it wrong with using mouse then ok for me, but then there is a problem with
switch 1, if you mean I should press these SW1 and SW3 button instead of mouse left and right buttons.
I can see bad soldering on switch 1, you also have probarly a correct view of rev B because the pcb is modded allready with alot of wires also wires where SW1 to SW3 was.
Yes i am talking about the HxC Buttons !

I don't see the board , so it's hard to help you for the repair question.
Anyway even if there no more buttons, you can use wire to force the update mode ;).
More details there :
https://hxc2001.com/floppy_drive_emulat ... or_Kit.zip

TTD

Post by TTD »

The problem for me is to understand schematics correctly, so proparly not good that I try repair it, but SW1 does not have all 4 connections.
I guess there should be 12 places where you can solder and where go the SW1 to on rev B for me it looks that it goes up to something called J2 pin 9, that is what I think I can see without schematics but is this correct?
Else I need to try the trace it down.
Where you have some solder at where switches are on board connected on is gone guess that the person that have make wires has make to much heat on it so has burn it off in someway. :(

Maybe I should give it a try to repair it, and check the traces for all switch connections. :wink:

EDIT: (Atlast)
After I have used my soldering tools and make the trace correctly to switch 1 it seams finally to update the bootloader and then the firmware it does NOT give me the error any longer about bad signature.
Hard to make a new line to correct place maybe not most beautiful repair but atleast it works like it should now.

I can push help now :D hmm ok then I must figure out what is next to try but there is still nothing about any information on the lcd display, so how can I fix that?

LAST EDIT--- Now it works with info and also tells me revision on lcd display now if no sd card is on.
I also have info on LCD now after switching some wires that was connected to wrong pins :D

Cool, I'am learning about the HxC hardware. :roll:

Thanks alot for all help Jeff :mrgreen:
Jeff wrote:
TTD wrote:Thanks for all help Jeff,

Yes i am talking about the HxC Buttons !

I don't see the board , so it's hard to help you for the repair question.
Anyway even if there no more buttons, you can use wire to force the update mode ;).
More details there :
https://hxc2001.com/floppy_drive_emulat ... or_Kit.zip