A few incompatibility problems (detailed info)

HxC Floppy Emulator on Amiga support
Thrash911

A few incompatibility problems (detailed info)

Post by Thrash911 »

Hey there,

Not too long ago, I bought the USB version of your Floppy Emulator, which I use on my A500 (also have an A1200). I am very impressed with it, almost all software works! However, there are a few that are not quite compatible. I thought maybe you'd like to know about it, so you could test it and improve the software, if you wanted to. ;-) I mainly use .HFE images. I have converted a lot of disks to this format, as I plan to aquire the SD version of your great hardware very soon! I will try to provide detailed info - here are my findings:

Arabian Nights (game):

Disk change detection problem! When it asks for disk 2, I drag the disk 2 .HFE disk image to the Floppy Emulator window, just like I always do. But the game never accepts disk 2, it just stays on the disk-change screen. I have experimented a lot with all the settings, like the USB Packet Size, and Drive ID. It is the same, if I use the original .ADF file. To check that the disks actually work, I have tested in WinUAE, and I have tried writing the .ADF images back to real disks, which then work fine on my A500 and A1200.

If it matters, I used this version (from TOSEC):

Arabian Nights v1.00 (1993-04-26)(Krisalis)(M4)(Disk 1 of 2)[cr PDX][t +33 UP]
Arabian Nights v1.00 (1993-04-26)(Krisalis)(M4)(Disk 2 of 2)[cr PDX][t +33 UP]

Alcatraz Megademo IV (demo):

This demo works, if I use the .ADF images. But if I use .HFE it doesn't work. Sometimes it loads, but VERY VERY slow. Mostly, it just doesn't boot at all. If I convert the (faulty?) .HFE images back to .ADF, it works again.

Furthermore, if using the .ADF images, there often seems to be a disk change problem. The computer sometimes crashes HARD (not even a Guru error..), when changing to disk 2. If I bring the USB Packet Size down low (below 1000), it often works fine when changing disks.

I remember, back in the day, I sometimes had problems with this very demo. Maybe it's coded uniquely weird, or something.. :)

Again, from TOSEC:
Alcatraz Megademo IV - Devil's Key (1990)(Alcatraz)(Disk 1 of 3)
Alcatraz Megademo IV - Devil's Key (1990)(Alcatraz)(Disk 2 of 3)
Alcatraz Megademo IV - Devil's Key (1990)(Alcatraz)(Disk 3 of 3)

I hope you can use this info for something. Again, GREAT hardware!!! I look forward to getting the SD version!

Best Regards,
Brian J. Nielsen

Jeff
Site Admin

Re: A few incompatibility problems (detailed info)

Post by Jeff »

Thrash911 wrote:Hey there,

Not too long ago, I bought the USB version of your Floppy Emulator, which I use on my A500 (also have an A1200). I am very impressed with it, almost all software works! However, there are a few that are not quite compatible. I thought maybe you'd like to know about it, so you could test it and improve the software, if you wanted to. ;-) I mainly use .HFE images. I have converted a lot of disks to this format, as I plan to aquire the SD version of your great hardware very soon! I will try to provide detailed info - here are my findings:

Arabian Nights (game):

Disk change detection problem! When it asks for disk 2, I drag the disk 2 .HFE disk image to the Floppy Emulator window, just like I always do. But the game never accepts disk 2, it just stays on the disk-change screen. I have experimented a lot with all the settings, like the USB Packet Size, and Drive ID. It is the same, if I use the original .ADF file. To check that the disks actually work, I have tested in WinUAE, and I have tried writing the .ADF images back to real disks, which then work fine on my A500 and A1200.

If it matters, I used this version (from TOSEC):

Arabian Nights v1.00 (1993-04-26)(Krisalis)(M4)(Disk 1 of 2)[cr PDX][t +33 UP]
Arabian Nights v1.00 (1993-04-26)(Krisalis)(M4)(Disk 2 of 2)[cr PDX][t +33 UP]

Alcatraz Megademo IV (demo):

This demo works, if I use the .ADF images. But if I use .HFE it doesn't work. Sometimes it loads, but VERY VERY slow. Mostly, it just doesn't boot at all. If I convert the (faulty?) .HFE images back to .ADF, it works again.

Furthermore, if using the .ADF images, there often seems to be a disk change problem. The computer sometimes crashes HARD (not even a Guru error..), when changing to disk 2. If I bring the USB Packet Size down low (below 1000), it often works fine when changing disks.

I remember, back in the day, I sometimes had problems with this very demo. Maybe it's coded uniquely weird, or something.. :)

Again, from TOSEC:
Alcatraz Megademo IV - Devil's Key (1990)(Alcatraz)(Disk 1 of 3)
Alcatraz Megademo IV - Devil's Key (1990)(Alcatraz)(Disk 2 of 3)
Alcatraz Megademo IV - Devil's Key (1990)(Alcatraz)(Disk 3 of 3)

I hope you can use this info for something. Again, GREAT hardware!!! I look forward to getting the SD version!

Best Regards,
Brian J. Nielsen
Thanks for your feedbacks. I will retest this soon.

danko

Post by danko »

Hi,i have a same problem disk change detection with Arabian Nights game is there a solution?

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

danko wrote:Hi,i have a same problem disk change detection with Arabian Nights game is there a solution?
Solved with the latest STM32 firmware. ;)