HxC Floppy Drive in external DF1 cabinett?

HxC Floppy Emulator on Amiga support
khvusr

HxC Floppy Drive in external DF1 cabinett?

Post by khvusr »

As subject indicate, is it fairly straight forward to replace and mount the HcX Floppy drive unit in an external DF1 drive? Aware there are several 'version' of the electronics used in external drives, so are there any specific ones one should aim for? Additionally, would it fit into the most standard external drives old which typically used metal housing?

KTC

Re: HxC Floppy Drive in external DF1 cabinett?

Post by KTC »

Hi there, khvusr,

I have just created at topic with a kind of related subject, but I believe I can give you some answers to the questions you have 8)

Yes, you can mount the HxC in an external drive by replacing the old floppy drive and it will appear as DF1: (if it is the first external drive), just like the old floppy drive did. I believe most external drives work the same way and provides compatible floppy interfaces. It worked just fine with the drive I tested.

You did not note which revision you are using, but for myself, I have a revision C, which does fit my external drive enclosure just fine, except I cannot see the LCD screen without cutting holes in the case or making an extension cable for it to be mounted elsewhere.

If you wish to be able use the external drive as DF0: on e.g. an Amiga 500 with kickstart 1.3 so you run with the best compatibility, you can get a boot selector that can be installed on your motherboard.