HxC2001 Rev C. does not load disks

HxC Floppy Emulator on Amiga support
LionSGI

Re: HxC2001 Rev C. does not load disks

Post by LionSGI »

thanks for reply!

i replaced the U11 LDO, now i got proper 3.3V, but the emulator is still now working... :( no reading on the LCD, only the backlight timeout is working. the PIC still works, if i put it into the other board it works perfectly, even if set the backlight timeout to another value and put it back into the non-working board it reflects the changes. I use the same LCD, FDD cable, power source etc, only the PCB changes, so there must be something wrong on the PCB...

any idea what could stop the LCD from working? could the U13 (23k256) be damaged in a way, that it stops the LCD from working?

unfortunately i did not manage to get my scope to work (i guess its probe it defect, because i do not get any differece in the reading when i touch something with it). so i could not check it with the scope...

thank You!

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

LionSGI wrote:
Sat May 13, 2023 9:47 am
thanks for reply!

i replaced the U11 LDO, now i got proper 3.3V, but the emulator is still now working... :( no reading on the LCD, only the backlight timeout is working. the PIC still works, if i put it into the other board it works perfectly, even if set the backlight timeout to another value and put it back into the non-working board it reflects the changes. I use the same LCD, FDD cable, power source etc, only the PCB changes, so there must be something wrong on the PCB...

any idea what could stop the LCD from working? could the U13 (23k256) be damaged in a way, that it stops the LCD from working?

unfortunately i did not manage to get my scope to work (i guess its probe it defect, because i do not get any differece in the reading when i touch something with it). so i could not check it with the scope...

thank You!
This is maybe just the contrast potentiometer. Have you checked it ?

LionSGI

Post by LionSGI »

Jeff wrote:
Sun May 14, 2023 10:04 pm

This is maybe just the contrast potentiometer. Have you checked it ?
ehhh... that was it! :D Thank You!

after turning up the contrast in the LCD, there was reading again. it still did not see the SDcard. i measured around the working board and compared voltages on the SDcard socket. pin #1 had no voltage on it, i traced the track on the PCB with the help of the PCB layout pictures and measured that there was a broken track between SCcard socket pin #1 and R9. the track on the bottom side from the hole was OK, but in the top side something happened to the track under the SDcard socket. i fixed it with a thin wire through another hole. after this it was reading the SDcard. i watched a few Amiga trackloading demos, they loaded OK, but :) there were new isses...
at the end of the loading process (when the demo finished) there was a constant and loud piping noise from the speaker (btw its speaker sounds quite differently compared to the other one, just out of curiosity i changed the PIC - one has new (1.8.2.40) FW the other has 1.6.0.0 - and it sounded the same as before). the piping stayed until new floppy operation... there is also a constant soft sizzling noise and i can hear the LEDs blinking :)
when loading up the Fileselector with FW 1.8.2.40 it stops loading with:

ERROR: LBA Change Test Failed ! Write Issue ?
and on the LCD: LBA00000002 08

with FW 1.6.0.0 it loads OK. (on the working board it load OK with both FWs, from the same SDcard)

what could be causing this? i used the same SDcard as with the other one, on the working one Fileselector loads without errors.

i checked in Workbench and i can write to the disk even when Fileselector does not load...

thank You for Your patience!

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Maybe an unconnected signal ? Another damaged track ?

But please post a video of the issue to be sure.

LionSGI

Post by LionSGI »

Jeff wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 11:37 am

i made 2 videos:
http://lionsgi.com/hxc2001/20230516_135514.mp4
http://lionsgi.com/hxc2001/20230516_140033.mp4

my hosting is pretty slow, please have patience. the piping noise can be heard in the second one and the Fileselector error is also contained in that one.

thank You!

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

LionSGI wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 9:34 pm
Jeff wrote:

i made 2 videos:

my hosting is pretty slow, please have patience. the piping noise can be heard in the second one and the Fileselector error is also contained in that one.

thank You!
Interesting. Never got such case before. No other damage on the PCB traces ?

LionSGI

Post by LionSGI »

Jeff wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 11:42 pm
LionSGI wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 9:34 pm
Jeff wrote:

i made 2 videos:

thank You!
Interesting. Never got such case before. No other damage on the PCB traces ?
after fixing pin #1 on the SDsocket i stopped looking for other damages. i will then look for further anomalies with this one; it might take some time, but i will report back.

Thank You!