Error “please replace volume HxCFESelector.amigados”

HxC Floppy Emulator on Amiga support
zoetway

Error “please replace volume HxCFESelector.amigados”

Post by zoetway »

Hello,

Whenever I select an image on my HxC Slim with F7 to select and reboot I get a pop-up window after the File Selector quits saying “Please replace volume HxCFESelector.amigados in device DF0” with two buttons “Retry” and “Cancel”. Pressing the Cancel button twice starts an empty Workbench and so does pressing Retry once after switching to the File Selector with the button on the HxC Slim.

The HxC Slim is installed as DF1. I use a DF-switcher to set it as DF0 to boot into File Selector. The only way to get a file to run is to set the DF-switch to boot from DF1 (making the HxC DF0), then start Workbench by selecting the harddisk under boot options when starting my Amiga2000, loading the File Selector from the harddisk (running it from HxC disk as DF0 won’t work), load a file in Slot A and then soft reset with the keyboard. Am I doing something wrong? Is there a way to make the F7 select and reboot work in my setup?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Jeff
Site Admin

Re: Error “please replace volume HxCFESelector.amigados”

Post by Jeff »

One possible cause is that the exact same disk is present in DF0 and DF1 in the same time. Is the DF0 <> DF1 selector working properly ?

zoetway

Post by zoetway »

Thank you for helping me out Jeff!

When de DF0<>DF1 switcher is set to DF1 (making the HxC the DF0) the other drive disappears. I can access the HcX as DF0 in Workbench then. When I set it back to DF0 the real diskdrive re-appears and both drives are accessible in Workbench (real drive as DF0 and the HxC as DF1). Unfortunately I don’t have another real drive to test the DF0<>DF1 switch, unless there’s another way to do that?

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

zoetway wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 6:34 pm
Thank you for helping me out Jeff!

When de DF0<>DF1 switcher is set to DF1 (making the HxC the DF0) the other drive disappears. I can access the HcX as DF0 in Workbench then. When I set it back to DF0 the real diskdrive re-appears and both drives are accessible in Workbench (real drive as DF0 and the HxC as DF1). Unfortunately I don’t have another real drive to test the DF0<>DF1 switch, unless there’s another way to do that?
Please try to disable the HxC second drive emulation with the switches (just keep ID0-A to ON) and let me know if you still reproduce the issue.

zoetway

Post by zoetway »

Hi Jeff, thanks for your suggestion!

I tried my setup with only the DIPswitch 1 in the ON position. When I do that no DF drive seems to boot. With the DF0<>DF1 set to DF0 the systems boots from the harddisk into Workbench, even with a physical disk in drive DF0. Both DF0 and DF1 show up in Workbench 3.1 as four ????’s.
When I flip the DF0<>DF1 to DF1 I get the same results (workbench with ???? as the disks, no matter if a physical disk is in the drive). Even if I select the physical drive in the boot options to force it to boot the physical disk it doesn’t do that and boots workbench from the harddisk. I checked the physical floppy, it boots fine when the HxC is set to DIPswitch 2 (but the F7 load issues mentioned before return).

I noticed both drives (physical and the HxC) show the exact samen activity (led and sound) with only DIPswitch 1 in the ON position.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Please remove all the others stuff : hard disk, drive selector and any other drives. Just keep the HxC with only the ID0-A switch to ON. Does this work properly ?

zoetway

Post by zoetway »

Yes it works fine set to ID0-A when everything else is unplugged.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

zoetway wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 3:15 pm
Yes it works fine set to ID0-A when everything else is unplugged.
Then try to reconnect the hard drive. Still Ok ?

zoetway

Post by zoetway »

Hi Jeff,

Apologies for taking so long to get back to you, I went away for the weekend. When I got back to my Amiga this morning I realized I forgot removing the DF0<>DF1 switch last time :roll: sorry!
With the DF0<>DF1 switch removed the HxC won’t boot and I get the Amiga screen asking me to insert a disk.