trying to use the emulator to transfer files, no worky worky....

HxC Floppy Emulator on Amiga support
AnchorAmiga

trying to use the emulator to transfer files, no worky worky....

Post by AnchorAmiga »

I am using the Hcx Floppy emulator for the obvious reason, to bank games and play them from the emulator flash drive.
No problems there except bad lha or adf files from servers.
I have several Amiga 2000's that I am refurbishing. I am constantly going back and forth between machines.
I thought I could use the convenience of the flash drive to move typical Amiga format files to the machine with the emulator so that I could make a copy of the file with an actual floppy drive. I tried a simple Amiga audio file (iff). it shows up on the front panel screen (after saving it to a location on the device using the software directions), but the file appears with the name assigned but also shows an "error" on the right side of the little lcd screen. Any ideas on why I am seeing the error?
I can not access the file using Disk Master II either. I can access the adf files using DM2.

Is there any way to use the device to simply move files ?

Thanks
Steve S

Jeff
Site Admin

Re: trying to use the emulator to transfer files, no worky worky....

Post by Jeff »

Which floppy emulator and firmware version are you using exactly ?

AnchorAmiga

Post by AnchorAmiga »

the unit is identified as: FF-Gotek-V3.15upd
Hcx2001 Mxc Floppy Emulator
Firmware version: 1.65a
uses FAT16/32 file IO Library v2.6

AnchorAmiga

Post by AnchorAmiga »

forgot this part:
USB Stick STM32 HxC Floppy Emulator
I downloaded a firmware update, but not sure what to do about updating the device.
maybe directions are in the zip folder???

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

AnchorAmiga wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:05 pm
the unit is identified as: FF-Gotek-V3.15upd
Hcx2001 Mxc Floppy Emulator
Firmware version: 1.65a
uses FAT16/32 file IO Library v2.6
You are not using the HxC firmware on this Gotek. I don't provide any support for third party firmwares.

AnchorAmiga

Post by AnchorAmiga »

Ok, so I am not really understanding what your reply means. I bought the device from AmigaKit.com
the device says Hxc2001.
when the autoboot screen is chosen, the icon on the workbench screen says "HxCFESelector.amigados
Do I have to get an entirely different device to achieve my goal of file transfers?
Steve S

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

AnchorAmiga wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:50 pm
Ok, so I am not really understanding what your reply means. I bought the device from AmigaKit.com
the device says Hxc2001.
when the autoboot screen is chosen, the icon on the workbench screen says "HxCFESelector.amigados
Do I have to get an entirely different device to achieve my goal of file transfers?
Steve S
No. AmigaKit didn't buy anything from me. They have put something imitating/"emulating" my firmware. I don't provide any support for this.
Please contact them directly for the support.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Jeff wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:02 pm
AnchorAmiga wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:50 pm
the device says Hxc2001.
Steve S
No. AmigaKit didn't buy anything from me. They have put something imitating/"emulating" my firmware. I don't provide any support for this.
Please contact them directly for the support.
By the way : Are they providing HxC materials/softwares on a stick or something else ?

AnchorAmiga

Post by AnchorAmiga »

OK, this is shaping up to be a complicated situation. It sounds like there is some friction with AmigaKit. I am starting to have a few of my own issues with AmigaKit. I will go back to them for support. I had no idea they would snag your design, tweek it, and then call it their own. The device is supported with a USB based flash drive that contains the software to drive it. I have my doubts as I have installed maybe 20 games on it, and only 5 of them work properly, the other games crash or hang. I had better results just using an old program called "Blitzer" to copy adf files to a floppy and then run the program from the floppy. The trouble back then was failing floppy drives and bad floppy disks. That problem has been resolved with new floppy disks and modified floppy drives that used to live in PC's.
So, If A guy was to spend the $110.00 dollars on the unit presented on your web site "Lotharek online shop", what would one expect from the unit?
SD FB - HXC Rev F BLACK CASE
Keep in mind, I am using a windows PC / laptop to obtain Amiga based files, or simply move audio files from Cool Edit Pro in the Amiga format to the work Amiga machines. I am trying to avoid going back to the Windows XP machine being cabled to an Amiga via a serial port.

tadawson

Post by tadawson »

Your other option, since it seems the hardware that you were sent *is* actually a Gotek with Flash Floppy on it, would be to puchase a license for HxC, and reflash it will HxC. It will give you the function that you thought you were buying, and will be a heck of a lot cheaper than a $110 repurchase.

(Assuming that you don't have an option to return what you have. If you do, you could buy a generic Gotek and proceed as above as well. I run 3 with the actual HxC firmware, and they work quite well.).

- Tim

AnchorAmiga

Post by AnchorAmiga »

Thank You. I appreciate the positive direction.
I do not have any interest in sending it back to the UK. I can use the device as is, with the limitations, or will most likely follow your direction and reFlash the USB drive with Hxc firmware.
details are very hard to come by these days, especially from AmigaKit. I maybe expect too much, but just a few short 20-30 years ago, things were explained so much more better.
Thanks again
Steve S