HFE image write errors

HxC Floppy Emulator on Amiga support
Eamoex

Re: HFE image write errors

Post by Eamoex »

Hi from a different world! Sorry for necroing this thread, but I'm a busy man (as most of us are I'm sure) and I've only come around to try making this work again today.

I've tried with the GVP HC+8 SCSI controller disconnected and I get no errors on the image. So bottom line: no HD, no errors.

There's one thing I realize I had not talked about. To power the SCSI2SD card (takes 5v on a dreaded micro-USB) which is connected to the huge GVP SCSI controller, I've installed a tap on the 5v line from the Amiga internal disk drive power connector, the one the HxC floppy emulator is being fed from.

See the black and red wires on this image.

Could it be that the power draw from the SCS2HD card messes up the emulator when the big GVP SCSI controller is connected?

EDIT: and, if yes, what should I do? Abandon the idea fo using a 5v rail from the A2000 PSU for that and have an USB cable stick out of the computer case? :cry:

Jeff_HxC2001

Post by Jeff_HxC2001 »

Eamoex wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 5:15 pm
There's one thing I realize I had not talked about. To power the SCSI2SD card (takes 5v on a dreaded micro-USB) which is connected to the huge GVP SCSI controller, I've installed a tap on the 5v line from the Amiga internal disk drive power connector, the one the HxC floppy emulator is being fed from.

See the black and red wires on this image.

Could it be that the power draw from the SCS2HD card messes up the emulator when the big GVP SCSI controller is connected?

EDIT: and, if yes, what should I do? Abandon the idea fo using a 5v rail from the A2000 PSU for that and have an USB cable stick out of the computer case? :cry:
And what if you disconnect the HD SCSI data cable but keep the power cable this way ?

Eamoex

Post by Eamoex »

The Amiga hates my gut if I do this. It doesn't boot at all. I think somehow it detests having a scsi controller connected with no drive on the SCSI chain.

But I've tried powering the SCSI2SD card from a wall wart USB PSU + keep the SCSI rig connected and everything is smooth. I can boot from the HD and the emulator seems to work fine. So everything seems to be related to power delivery. Somehow.

One day, maybe in 2027, I'll have an Amiga which boots with a working FTP share and a floppy emulator. I just need to find the time to set it all up! :D

Now empty disk images created with HxCFloppyEmulator 2.5.6.6 are seen as a DF0:????, unformattable disks on the Workbench. Which is another topic... :)