HFE image write errors

HxC Floppy Emulator on Amiga support
Eamoex

HFE image write errors

Post by Eamoex »

Hello Everyone,

so, I’m getting slowly to my dream setup. I’ve successfully hooked an HxC floppy emulator to my A2000 rev 6.3 build, which has a GVP HC+8 SCSI controller with a SCSI2SD adapter for hard drive.

Now, I use a PlipBox to talk to my network. The only working way I found to set this up (because I’m lazy and not very knowledgeable) is to use a network boot disk image which configures an on-floppy install of AmiTCP-3.0b2 on first boot. Of course, it makes a few configuration writes on the disk for that. It makes the network stack go well and I can login to the FTP dir on the Amiga. But as soon as I reboot the A2000, there are either:
  • weird stuff happening to that floppy image. Configuration parameters seem to still be there but I get errors (like login fails, password don’t work anymore, or device driver isn’t working anymore...)
  • or write error alerts on boot (which are not recoverable)
I suspect some writing errors from the floppy emulator. Is this a known occurence?

EDIT: I've just read in this forum post about the importance of SD card speed. Mine is class10 IIRC.

Jeff
Site Admin

Re: HFE image write errors

Post by Jeff »

Hello,
Class 10 ok, but which brand and model ? (Recommended : Sandisk Extreme series)
Which image are you testing ?
Which kickstart/workbench version are you using on this Amiga ? (Definitively better with KS/WB version 2.0 or higher)

Eamoex

Post by Eamoex »

• Card: 32GB SanDisk Ultra SDHC1 Class 10
  • Image: networkbootdisk.hfe (converted from ADF taken here, using HxC software)
  • KS/WB: 3.1

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Eamoex wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:05 am
  • Card: 32GB SanDisk Ultra SDHC1 Class 10
  • Image: networkbootdisk.hfe (converted from ADF taken here, using HxC software)
  • KS/WB: 3.1
This is odd then... This KS/WB shouldn't cause any trouble.
I will try this image on my Amiga 600 to compare. (If possible ?)

Btw If i remember correctly i made some speed tests on these Sandisk Ultra years ago and they was somewhat slow with small packet write. If possible test another sdcard. Even some very old/small capacity models (<512MB) may be interesting.

Can you send me the hfe image to hxc2001 at hxc2001 dot com after the write attempt/failure ?

Eamoex

Post by Eamoex »

Okay, thanks for your reply.

I only suspect the emulator because there is no other explanation as to why things work fine with a fresh image and then degrade with writes.

Can't remember about what the emulator config options are, but I guess there's no point in searching there. I mean, if the Amiga sees the images and can read them, everything is supposed to work, right? (apart from the "card quality" problem)

I'll try another card.

EDIT: yes I'll send you the corrupt image. I need to recorrupt one though, because I trash them when it happens... :)

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Eamoex wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:20 am
Can't remember about what the emulator config options are, but I guess there's no point in searching there.
Yes probably, but i forgot to ask you the firmware version you are using ?

Eamoex

Post by Eamoex »

FW: 1.8.2.40
TBH, I haven't paid attention to the firmware version. :oops:

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

I managed to make some tests with an SD HxC Floppy Emulator Rev F with the firmwares v1.8.6.20 and v1.8.8.1 with a standard A600 (KS2.0) :

-> I have done several configurations. The parameters appears to be correctly set.
-> No sector damaged (i used the HxC track/disk viewer)
-> I have extracted all the files from the images and compare them with the original image : all changes are matching with the settings i have changed.

So here i didn't manage to reproduce the issue.

So if this is a floppy emulator issue, this should be solved with a faster SDCard (i used an old 128MB ATP and an 8GB Sandisk Ultra SDCards for the tests). Another workaround : You can edit the configuration files on your PC / MAC with the HxC software, or preconfigure the image with winuae...

But :
or write error alerts on boot (which are not recoverable)
This remember me something. Are you using the file selector software ?
In the past i got some supports cases with virus infected Amiga machines. The file selector software can be contaminated by virus, very present into the tosec/adf files available on internet... Maybe this is the case for you too ? What about the hard disk ?
(Please note that once configured this image doesn't seem to write anything to the disk !)

Eamoex

Post by Eamoex »

Thanks for your investigation!

I don't use the file selector. And the image might be infected, true. But the HD? As far as this first-boot configuration thing on this particular floppy goes, there is no read from or write to the HD involved, so I don't think my HD install is infected (at least I hope so), and BTW I have no problem doing stuff from an HD boot (writing to disk, reading, playing games, installing stuff... what you do with an Amiga! :) )

Okay well, I have two things to try:
  • other SD card
  • firmware update
I'll do this testing and let you know how it turns out.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Many previous virus related issues was with machines with HDD ;)

What you may try : disconnect the hdd, use a fresh/newly converted hfe file, turn off the machine and wait some seconds to be sure that no resident piece of code stay in the dram before the first boot.

Eamoex

Post by Eamoex »

Okay, haven't tried remedies yet, just to recorrupt an image file for your information. It succeeded quite well this time, I haven't even had time to reboot, a write error occured even before the configuration of the disk could finish. I then got read errors as well, and rebooting from the floppy image gave obscure output in the CLI window (some outputs of commands I don't know, which probably were supposed to send to NIL: in the first place), and a halt to the prompt.

Here is the corrupt image.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Yes it appears that this Amiga is going nuts and is writing garbage to the disk... :
Screenshot at 2021-04-22 13-54-23.png
Screenshot at 2021-04-22 13-54-23.png (89.06 KiB) Viewed 15819 times
Have you disconnected the Hard disk before doing this test ?

Another point : Can you check the Amiga +5V voltage ?

Eamoex

Post by Eamoex »

Thanks for checking out!

Did not disconnect the HD. I think I'll first try what doesn't require opening the beast. Like a different card. I've been opening/closing this thing for 2 years... :mrgreen:

The PSU delivers nice steady voltages on all rails. I've overhauled it in 2018 with only matched values Nichicon caps.

So I need to test with:
  • other card
  • new firmware
  • HD disconnected
Will report when new stuff emerges.

Eamoex

Post by Eamoex »

OK the SD card is ruled out. Tried a 32GB SanDisk Extreme and got a read error during configuration. Stay tuned…

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Eamoex wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:55 pm
OK the SD card is ruled out. Tried a 32GB SanDisk Extreme and got a read error during configuration. Stay tuned…
yes, i tried the same sandisk ultra last week and didn't managed to reproduce the issue... This is something else.