Hxc revA as DF1 slave

HxC Floppy Emulator on Amiga support
LeCaravage

Hxc revA as DF1 slave

Post by LeCaravage »

Bonjour :)

I have Slim RevA Hxc on Amiga 500 KS1.3 (MB rev6). I bought it here I can't remember when (may be 6 or 10 years??).

I have two questions :

- I'd like to put my Hxc like an external DF1 (I have already internal DF0 chinon mechanical lector drive), is there something to do specificly ?

- My Hxc can only know .Hfe files, could it be possible to upgrade it via SD card to make him recognize ADF or DMS files ?

Thank you,

Jeff
Site Admin

Re: Hxc revA as DF1 slave

Post by Jeff »

LeCaravage wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:24 pm
- I'd like to put my Hxc like an external DF1 (I have already internal DF0 chinon mechanical lector drive), is there something to do specificly ?
Nothing special. just connect it to the external port.
LeCaravage wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:24 pm
- My Hxc can only know .Hfe files, could it be possible to upgrade it via SD card to make him recognize ADF or DMS files ?

Thank you,
No.

LeCaravage

Post by LeCaravage »

Could it be possible to upgrade by adding a LCD screen to it ?
If yes, do you provide this tweak ?

Edit : I have another question : The Hxc is not recognized tout de suite, I need to reset Amiga several times and then the Hxc is "mounted". Any clue on what happen ?
But mounted in DF0 alone, the Hxc works just fine.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

LeCaravage wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:17 pm
Could it be possible to upgrade by adding a LCD screen to it ?
If yes, do you provide this tweak ?
Yes:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1104&p=15188&hilit=lcd+slim#p15188
I don't provide it.
LeCaravage wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:17 pm
Edit : I have another question : The Hxc is not recognized tout de suite, I need to reset Amiga several times and then the Hxc is "mounted". Any clue on what happen ?
But mounted in DF0 alone, the Hxc works just fine.
Have you mounted an image on the Slim HxC ?

LeCaravage

Post by LeCaravage »

Jeff wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:29 am
Yes:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1104&p=15188&hilit=lcd+slim#p15188
I don't provide it.
Great. Thanks.
Jeff wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:29 am
Have you mounted an image on the Slim HxC ?
Yes.

Strange, it works as DF0 and not DF1 (not always).
The first time when machine is turned on it isn't recognized, I need to reboot Amiga and if lucky enough it makes the "beep" which means the virtual floppy is recognized.
I suspect it's a cable fault or something ? Does the cable need to be minimum length ?

Btw, is there a way to launch selector because DF1 does not boot like DF0 do ? I read PDF doc but didn't find an answer. May be I missed it.

Here is a photo of the cable I use for Hxc :

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

LeCaravage wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:10 pm

The first time when machine is turned on it isn't recognized, I need to reboot Amiga and if lucky enough it makes the "beep" which means the virtual floppy is recognized.
I suspect it's a cable fault or something ? Does the cable need to be minimum length ?
How long you need to wait to hear the "beep" at power up ?

LeCaravage

Post by LeCaravage »

The beep comes right after the power up (less than 1 second).

I suspect a pb of psu din connector (the one on mother board side). I'm on the way to change it.

Btw, is there a way to have an patched Selector program that I coudl write in the disk on slot #0 ? A patch that could handle DF1: (not boot patch but a one that would allow to write selections on a slave DF1:). To summarize : I'd like to have a master chinon drive in DF0: and a slave Hxc DF1: but I'd like to use the selector of Hxc to change images slots which is only possible when Hxc is mount in DF0:

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

The file selector is already able to work from the DF1. The problem is that the KS1.3 is not able to boot from the DF1...

LeCaravage

Post by LeCaravage »

Jeff wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:54 pm
The file selector is already able to work from the DF1.
You mean that even under KS1.3 I could launch selector ? That's I'd like to do, I'm not interested in booting from DF1 in fact.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

LeCaravage wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:16 pm
Jeff wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:54 pm
The file selector is already able to work from the DF1.
You mean that even under KS1.3 I could launch selector ? That's I'd like to do, I'm not interested in booting from DF1 in fact.
Yes you can manually launch the file selector exe from any drive (DF0, DF1, HDD, under the workbench or not)

LeCaravage

Post by LeCaravage »

Sorry to write in french but I feel like I'm terrible at english.

Bonjour Jeff,
Je désirerais utiliser mon Hxc en lecteur externe DF1. Le DF0 lui joue son rôle de lecteur principal qui boot.
Je n'arrive pas à lancer le selecteur Hxc depuis le DF1 alors qu'il est reconnu par le systeme.
Quand je le lance depuis une fenetre CLI, le selecteur se lancer, puis il semble chercher un fichier sur DF0: (alors que je l'ai lancé depuis DF1:), et finalement il fait une erreur. Je t'ai pris quelques photos. Est-ce que je peux t'envoyer les fichiers présents sur la carte SD ? (AUTOBOOT.HFE et HXCSDFE.CFG)

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

2013. Seven years old version... :wink:

Please update it :

https://github.com/jfdelnero/HXCFE_file ... r/releases

LeCaravage

Post by LeCaravage »

Jeff, you're da man !
Works great. Many thanks for your time and your help.

LeCaravage

Post by LeCaravage »

Hi again,

Jeff, I've been using Hxc as DF1 for several years now and everything was fine. Until now.
I just replaced my HXCSDFE.CFG and AUTOBOO.HFE on my SD card by using the following link :

https://github.com/jfdelnero/HXCFE_file ... r/releases

I discovered a bug with this newer version. The HXC menu at starts try to search for files (HXCSDFE or/and AUTOBOOT ?) in DF0 and display an error message and stops.

Also there's another bug with all versions of Hxc I've been using. When I launch Hxcfemng.exe from DF1, if I let a floppy in DF0, the menu manager don't launch, it hangs.

I use the same Amiga config as stated above.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Nothing was changed / released since october 2020, so these issues appears to be hardware related, isn't it ?