Gotek won't work in external housing

HxC Floppy Emulator on Amiga support
Starglider

Gotek won't work in external housing

Post by Starglider »

Hi guys,

I have the Gotek version of the HxC. It works perfectly as an external drive using the external adapter cable. However I wanted to move it into a real external drive chassis to look nicer.

As soon as I connect it inside the housing of the external drive, and then plug that in, although I get power, Amiga 500 just reports "Not a DOS disk". Then the LED display on the Gotek turns from 000 to:
_ _ _
_ _ _

I've tried bypassing the external drive's controller board too, by wiring directly from the external drive's cable socket into the Gotek's external cable (took a while!) Exact same result.

I also previously tried changing the jumpers from S1 to S0.

Does anyone who knows this drive know why it might see "Not a DOS disk"?

Thanks in advance!

Jeff
Site Admin

Re: Gotek won't work in external housing

Post by Jeff »

Sound to be a wiring problem. Is a normal drive working in this chassis ?

Starglider

Post by Starglider »

Yep.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Starglider wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:29 am
Yep.
how is the green led ? permanently lit ?

and btw, have you the latest firmware ? :

https://hxc2001.com/download/floppy_driv ... rmware.zip

a last question : which sound mod are you using ? the one needed soldering on the pcb or the other just using the JB jumper pins ?

Starglider

Post by Starglider »

Thanks for your help.

The green LED flashes a few times trying to access then off.

I believe I have the latest firmware as I bought it new in 2015. Is using the drive in an external housing something that there was a firmware update for? My drive has always worked externally using an adapter cable like this one: https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2363110859
It just doesn't like the "cable" for the new external housing I put it in instead.

The sound mod needed soldering but the drive worked fine with it done, until I put it in the external housing. If I put the old cable back it works again.

I can't figure it out. Technically it's just going from the back of the Amiga, through a cable, to the Gotek. One cable works, one doesn't. I tested the continuity of all pins in the cable and they're fine.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Starglider wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:22 am
The sound mod needed soldering but the drive worked fine with it done, until I put it in the external housing. If I put the old cable back it works again.
Remove this crap. These mods directly using the step signal are known to cause electrical and timing problems. I bet that this is the case here. the cable capacitance and/or external case filters just make the difference.

And update the firmware with the one in the zip files. tons of improvements was done since the 2015 firmware.
The new firmware can drive the piezzo from the JB output :

https://hxc2001.com/docs/gotek-floppy-e ... uzzer.html