Trying to decide which version to get

HxC Floppy Emulator on Amiga support
chromium

Trying to decide which version to get

Post by chromium »

I really want one of these but I'm not sure which version is best for me.
I have an A500 and an A1200 and I'd like to be able to use it in both. I don't want to do any case modding, so I'm thinking a cased Rev C would be best and then I can just have it hanging outside of the case. I assume I'd need to find a longer floppy and power cable? If I get a cased version, is it easy to take out of the case and mount it inside the Amiga if I decided I want to do it later?
I was thinking of getting a slim but not sure I want to be limited to never having the LCD. Is it easy to mount a slim in an A500, do the mounting holes line up ok or would I need to drill my own?

Rylos

Re: Trying to decide which version to get

Post by Rylos »

Check out the showroom for pics of the slim install.

I would think the slim is for more of a permanent install but can be used outside the case. the Slim is def the choice if you are concerned with cost but if your not then I'd recommend with the version that has the display. Also, the Slim is made to support a display but I'm not sure if the firmware was updated for it.

This permanent install of the slim can be tricky because the holes in the board do not line up the mounting holes for the A500's floppy. But, with some measuring and the right parts it goes fairly smooth. No case modification are necessary.

Arnie

Re: Trying to decide which version to get

Post by Arnie »

You can mount the slim in an external floppy drive case and use it on any Amiga.

I have one attached to my CDTV using an external floppy board and it works as DF0: only downside is that I can't get it to use DF1:, it may be a CDTV thing or the external floppy board.