Writing to Amiga images

HxC Floppy Emulator on Amiga support
abbalah

Writing to Amiga images

Post by abbalah »

I've had the HxC Rev C emulator (firmware 1.7.2.0) installed in my Amiga 500 a few weeks and I have no problems reading
data from DF0 and DF1. The emulator replaced a broken internal floppy drive. Basically I'm a very happy user.

I do have problems writing to the disks. I'm using the empty Amiga disk images provided at
https://hxc2001.com/download/floppy_driv ... Images.zip.
I can see the README.TXT they contain, so I know they are working.

I've tried the save function from a couple of games (Cannon Fodder, Monkey Island etc), which gives error messages.

From the shell I've tried copying files first to the ram disk and then back to the empty disk. The file I copy remains in the image
until I change disks. I manage to format images using bformat, but nothing is actually written even though I can see that the drive
is writing from the LCD. I have checked that write protection was off on both SD cards I've tried.

I'm just wondering to what extent is write support expected to work for the Amiga? Should I be able to use the save game function for games for instance?

Are there some additional settings that I could be missing even if reading images works great? How are other Amiga users using the write functionality?

Jeff
Site Admin

Re: Writing to Amiga images

Post by Jeff »

Try the firmware present in your email box and let me know how this work.

abbalah

Post by abbalah »

Thanks again for the quick assistance, something definitely started working better :)

I managed to save Workbench settings, delete the README.TXT from an empty image, copy a file
from the RAM disk to DF0 and make it survive a reboot.

I also managed to save and load (after rebooting) a save game in Monkey Island.

I had some problems formatting disks and making files created in the Workbench Notepad survive.

I also had some problems starting Cannon Fodder, which previously started fine. I you want me
to try something specific, just let me know. I'll try finding a pattern in what works and what doesn't.

abbalah

Post by abbalah »

I downgraded the firmware, because on my subsequent tries DF1 could not be detected by Workbench for instance.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

abbalah wrote:I downgraded the firmware, because on my subsequent tries DF1 could not be detected by Workbench for instance.
What ? Who is "DF1" ? THe HxC ?

abbalah

Post by abbalah »

I only have the HxC attached to my Amiga 500, both virtual drives enabled. I replaced a
broken internal drive and removed the external drives.

What I tried to explain was when I started Workbench using the 1.7.2.0 firmware i could see
the the Workbench image in drive 0 and the empty floppy image in drive 1 (as an icon on the desktop).
The empty image in drive 1 was accessible.

When I started Workbench using the 1.8.1.10a firmware I could no longer see nor access any floppy
images attached to drive 1. Otherwise I had the same settings (Drive B enabled).

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

abbalah wrote:I only have the HxC attached to my Amiga 500, both virtual drives enabled. I replaced a
broken internal drive and removed the external drives.

What I tried to explain was when I started Workbench using the 1.7.2.0 firmware i could see
the the Workbench image in drive 0 and the empty floppy image in drive 1 (as an icon on the desktop).
The empty image in drive 1 was accessible.

When I started Workbench using the 1.8.1.10a firmware I could no longer see nor access any floppy
images attached to drive 1. Otherwise I had the same settings (Drive B enabled).
Ok and with the 1.8.1.12a ? (in your email box).

abbalah

Post by abbalah »

Thank you again for your response.

I installed the update, but unfortunately AUTOBOOT.HFE (v. 1.7a) refuses to start and freezes with the message
"LBA Change Test Failed ! Write Issue ?"

I tried two SD cards with the same result. Settings and everyting unchanged except for the firmware update.

The LCD on the HxC says "LBA:00000000WESE"

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

New firmware in your email box :wink:

abbalah

Post by abbalah »

Thanks again for the quick response :)

This time AUTOBOOT.HFE worked and both virtual drives were detected properly.

I tested using Workbench 1.3 in DF0 and an empty image in DF1. I managed to save Workbench
preferences on DF0 and also manage to copy files to the empty image and create new files with
Notepad. All changes were written and survived restarts.

On my first attempt the disk image seemed to get corrupted, Workbench failed to boot and reported
a disk validation error. I formatted the SD card and copied fresh images to it and did not get it since.

Will see if I can recreate it, but so far so good!

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

abbalah wrote:
On my first attempt the disk image seemed to get corrupted, Workbench failed to boot and reported
a disk validation error. I formatted the SD card and copied fresh images to it and did not get it since.

Will see if I can recreate it, but so far so good!
Image wrote by the previous firmware ?