Problem with longer floppy cable?

HxC Floppy Emulator on Amiga support
Paul Bearer

Problem with longer floppy cable?

Post by Paul Bearer »

Hello everyone, this is my first post.

I have an Amiga 500 and the HxC (latest firmware) in a case. With the original (short) Amiga floppy cable, everything works well. Now I ordered a longer cable (34 pins straight, 40cm length) and the HxC doesn't work with it anymore. When connected, the inserted disk always switches between track 2/3 and doesn't load - this is, I think, normal behaviour when the cable is connected the wrong way. But if I turn the connector around (on the Amiga side), all three LEDs light up all the time and it won't load anything - there's not even the switching between tracks 2/3 anymore.

Now I would like to know if this is a known problem with longer floppy cables. I would say there is a problem with the cable, but I ordered it from a page that sells only Amiga stuff and it was specified as Amiga floppy cable. I also can't see any damage, of course it's possible that there is "invisible" damage somewhere on the cable. If so, I would like to know where I can get a cable that works.

Jeff
Site Admin

Re: Problem with longer floppy cable?

Post by Jeff »

To be sure about the floppy cable you should try an true floppy disk drive.
If the cable is ok, you can try to add an 1Kohms pull-up resistor on the floppy data line.

Paul Bearer

Post by Paul Bearer »

Unfortunately I have no Amiga disks anymore, but if I connect the floppy to the longer cable, it clicks like it should (drive LED is off). If I connect the cable the other way, it doesn't click and the drive LED is on all the time.

Is this a common problem? Are there cables that are more or less guaranteed to work?

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Paul Bearer wrote:Unfortunately I have no Amiga disks anymore, but if I connect the floppy to the longer cable, it clicks like it should (drive LED is off). If I connect the cable the other way, it doesn't click and the drive LED is on all the time.

Is this a common problem? Are there cables that are more or less guaranteed to work?
Have you a way to try it on another machine (PC?).

Here i commonly use floppy cable with a length of 40cm or more without any problem.
So this definitely not the issue here...

Paul Bearer

Post by Paul Bearer »

Jeff wrote:Have you a way to try it on another machine (PC?).
Unfortunately, no.
Jeff wrote:Here i commonly use floppy cable with a length of 40cm or more without any problem.
Thank you, then I will try to find another cable (this will take a few days) and try it.