Please review my Gotek installation for compleness? thx!

kc9kep

Please review my Gotek installation for compleness? thx!

Post by kc9kep »

Hello!

Could someone who is familiar with the “Gotek hdx2001” review my procedure and tell me
if my assumptions are correct? Thanks!

I have ordered a “bare-bones” Gotek model from Amazon, with just two-push-buttons and LED front panel display.

1.) As the unit is received. It needs to be re-flashed. I used a USB to Serial adapter module. One must set-up jumpers as instructed in the “https://hxc2001.com/docs/gotek-floppy-e ... -firmware/” manual to flash the boot-loader. (Lessons learned, set the module to 5V (not 3.3V) and use a SHORT USB cable to the REAR USB ports of my Windows 11 machine). It uploads quite quickly, maybe 2 minutes or so. Then I remove the programming jumpers.

2.) One is instructed to install the *.upd firmware program. It's accomplished by loading the *.upd file onto a FAT32 formatted USB stick. Insert the stick, hold the two front-panel buttons in, power up the Gotek drive while holding the buttons for 2 seconds and the firmware is loaded.

I've added an OLED display as well.
Somewhere it mentions that DRIVE-B is OFF by default. One can launch a MENU driven utility in the Gotek by pressing the front panel buttons. I turned ON drive B.

I set the Gotek jumper-block for DRIVE-B.

I boot from my A: drive and want to access the Gotek as my B: drive.

When I try to see the B: drive (>B: <return>) the Gotek activity LED comes on as expected, but the system hangs.

WHAT I AM TRYING TO DETERMINE IS THIS: Are all the required floppy drive settings contained within the *.upd file? (There is a custom firmware editor available for that file.) Is that the only file I need on the USB stick in order for the Gotek to operate?

Of course the OLED display tells me that I have no image files on the USB stick.

FWIW: My computer is a legacy home-brew Z80 system with 64K ram, running CP/M 2.2

I'm really floundering here ..

Copious thanks!