CRT instead of OLED as a gotek display?

OriginalDan

CRT instead of OLED as a gotek display?

Post by OriginalDan »

hi just wondering if anyones tried using a CRT instead of the typical OLED for the goteks display as a nice companion to a retro system
a few candidates might be these new old stock 4"ones from china that adrians digital basement covered or sony watchmen that can still be found fairly cheap
i have a few that are surprisingly clear with text, i could 3d model up a case design for em.
I'm still waiting on my goteks to arrive so it may be a couple months before i can try this, in theory its just convert whatever video signal the gotek sends into a composite one, but itad be great to know if anyones tried something similar already.
there's also various 5" cheapo generic black and white portable tv sets that could be used, they Might even fit inside two 5.25"bay which would be a fun project if i can find some locally, the main concern would be making sure its magnetically shielded if its going inside a retro system, thoughts?

Jeff
Site Admin

Re: CRT instead of OLED as a gotek display?

Post by Jeff »

Since i have already introduced the OSD support in the Gotek world some years ago, this is probably technically doable :

https://hxc2001.com/docs/gotek-floppy-e ... splay.html

But aren't these screens very bulky for this usage ? :)

OriginalDan

Re: CRT instead of OLED as a gotek display?

Post by OriginalDan »

Jeff wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 8:21 am
Since i have already introduced the OSD support in the Gotek world some years ago, this is probably technically doable :
https://hxc2001.com/docs/gotek-floppy-e ... splay.html
But aren't these screens very bulky for this usage ? :)
thanks that should do the trick! hopefully i can source gotkes that are compatible really difficult to tell which versions vendors have, even direct from taobao sources.
for folks who can't read the small oled screens they might prefer a crt to match a retro system, and with 3d printing you could change the shell to represent a miniaturized version of whatever main crt you're using which is what ill attempt with the amiga, making it look like a mini 1084 or something similar