Roland EXR-5, Gotek & HxC Firmware

TommyRM

Roland EXR-5, Gotek & HxC Firmware

Post by TommyRM »

After a long testing time, several experiments and wild yelling I have managed to get my Roland EXR-5 Arranger work with all it's functions perfectly emulated.
The original Floppy drive was a JU-257A168PC and the only two switches onboard were set on "RY" (ready on Pin 34) and D0.
The hardware is a Gotek SFRKC30.AT3
It's a34 34 Pin emulator with 3 x 7 segment display and an Artery AT32F415CBT7 chipset.
First of all I had to flash the Artery chipset to a HxC firmware (following the standard instructions for the USB-A ---> USB-A connection flashing).
The working solution has been found using the HxCFEUSB_V3_8_3_1a Gotek update, flashed via USB dongle.
Only one Jumper on the Gotek board set on S0 (to match the D0 on the floppy drive).
All the other configurations can be found in the Gotek HxC Floppy Emulator firmware manual - SETTINGS
The Firmware runs in INDEXED MODE (Menu 4 set = 02).
Menu 0 = 19 (Roland)
Menu 1 = 08 (Generic Shugart DD)
Menu 2 = 02 (Write enabled)
The Usb dongle must be formatted FAT32 and must contain the CFG and image files (Empty DOS formatted 1.44 floppy image named "DSKA0001.IMG" - change the numbers as you please but it must start with DSKA for the indexed mode to work properly).
.Mid and .sth/.stl files can be loaded on image files using "DosDiskBrowser" from the HcX Floppy Emulator software bundle. Keep your file names clean and short cause the EXR-5 doesn't easily digest long or fancy file names.

There you go.

Enjoy your upgrade and feel free to drop a line if you have any doubts about this Roland Keyboard setup.

Tommy.