FAT error Gotek Batch Manage Tool

jg77

FAT error Gotek Batch Manage Tool

Post by jg77 »

First a little info about my setup;

I run a 486 machine with a standard Gotek (no firmware change), and a standard 3.5" 1.44MB floppy drive.
I run a 386 machine with a HxC Flashed Gotek, and a standard 5.25" 1.2MB floppy drive.

The purpose of these machines, besides being played on, is to create the needed floppies for my older (XT) machines which I keep close to original, so no Gotek there.
The problem I run into is that the standard Gotek doesn't handle disk images very well when they are not 1.44MB (corrupt data). So I was working with all kinds of software to make that work (WinImage to change the image size, rawrite3 on DOS to write disk images), which is kind of cumbersome (isn't working with retro hardware that already).

Anyway, I read that the current firmware is able to read the USB sticks created in the Gotek Batch Manage Tool (I am running version 1.40). So therefore I went ahead and bought the firmware and flashed the Gotek in the 386. After I flashed it, it could only recognize the first 4 disks (000 - 003), on the USB stick where there are 37 floppies with content.

I created a new USB Stick with floppies, first of 1.44MB, then changing some to 720KB in the Gotek software, and put some data on it. The USB stick reads perfectly fine in the standard Gotek in the 486, but the Gotek in the 386 says 'FAT', without being able to change the floppy image number.

Am I doing something wrong? Or are there some issues when using the Gotek Batch Manage Tool?
I want something I can use in both machines, so I would like to use my USB stick with both the machines.

I hope someone here can help me with this.

( I should add that I am using the 3-digit Goteks )

jg77

Re: FAT error Gotek Batch Manage Tool

Post by jg77 »

Follow up..

spend quite a few hours today on what to do. Been reading several comments on lots of websites, watch youtube videos about the topic..

Finally came to the conclusion that is would be easier to flash the other Gotek as well, and switch over to the indexed method of placing images on the USB stick (which also involves the hassle of always creating an image, even only for a few files). But... that would mean buying a license for each Gotek I use now, and will use in the future (because I don't want to create specific USB sticks for a system). So... that means in my case it is just as easy to start using Flash Floppy for Gotek, since I don't use any other systems then PC's, and now I don't have to pay 12 euro for every Gotek I have.

This firmware really looks quite special and has so many options, but it's not for me (right now).

Thank you for reading!

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Which firmware version have you installed ?

Anyway i recommend you to use the partition mode :
https://hxc2001.com/docs/gotek-floppy-e ... ition.html
No need to use image, and no need to any additional software !
This way you don't need to use the Gotek Batch Manage Tool nor any file image ! :)

jg77

Post by jg77 »

Hi Jeff, thank you for your reply!
I installed the latest upd file available in the download package from the email, so version 3_8_3_1a.

I looked at the several modes, and took some time so look at the partition mode. I do like the easy part of the Gotek software in creating the folders and just use drag and drop, or upload an image when needed.
For me it wasn't clear how to create all those partitions in the correct sizes (batch creation), in mix 1.44MB and 720KB. The Gotek software doesn't create partitions but folders (at least not partitions recognizable by Windows), and somehow there seemed to be a compatibility issue with your firmware on the Gotek.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

You don't have the latest fw version.

Anyway as explained in the documentation use rufus to prepare the usb stick with the provided partitions images :

https://hxc2001.com/docs/gotek-floppy-e ... ition.html