Error when saving PCG on Korg Triton Studio

Ziah4u

Error when saving PCG on Korg Triton Studio

Post by Ziah4u »

Hi,
I've been using a Gotek drive on my Korg Triton Studio for a while now and everything works perfect except for saving PCG files.

A message says "Error in writing to medium".
I find this to be odd because I can save other files like my SEQ and sampling data. The drive can also read and load any file (including PCG) to my keyboard.

The only PCG file I can save is the global setting but not the programs, combination, arp pattern or drum kit. They all give the same error message.

I have tried several different flash drives and also changing the jumper location on the drive but get the same result.

I really love using this Gotek drive and would wish that this function could work as it is greatly needed.
Last edited by Ziah4u on Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jeff
Site Admin

Re: Error when saving PCG on Korg Triton Studio

Post by Jeff »

What can you read on the Gotek's screen without any usb stick connected?

Ziah4u

Post by Ziah4u »

hXc or hHc

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

What is the average file size of "PCG" files ?

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Jeff wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:26 pm
What is the average file size of "PCG" files ?
And btw, share you floppy image file and check the firmware version you are using : press both buttons, choose 'F' , and read the 4 numbers.

Ziah4u

Post by Ziah4u »

Firmware version is 3-4-16-12
Disk image
DSKA0000.zip
(113.49 KiB) Downloaded 167 times
The average file size of PCG files is about 1.2 mb

PCG includes Programs, Combinations and Global settings of the keyboard that can be backed up on a diskette.

The factory reset PCG files can be used to reset or restore the keyboard by downloading from KORG website. I did this and used one of the HFE disk images to save it and load it onto the keyboard using Gotek disk drive.

This worked great. But when I tried to save the same PCG files back to the disk image it gives an "error in writing to medium" message.

I mentioned this because I don't think the files are too big for the disk. I even tried saving only one bank or part of the PCG file and it still didn't work.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Yes there is effectively a problem : i see a bad sector. Look likes the write was interrupted by something.
Have you tried another/different usb stick ?

Please retry with this img file (The firmware support the img files)
Attachments
DKSA0000.zip
(2.41 KiB) Downloaded 165 times

Ziah4u

Post by Ziah4u »

IT WORKED!!

OMG!!! YOU'RE A GENIUS!!! THIS IS AWESOME!!! :D :D I was so excited to see this saving at last. All my great tones! I probably held my breath until it was done. THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! MUCH RESPECT.

I must admit I was sceptical at first but was hopeful. You're truly an amazing person to provide such fantastic support for this product.I never expected such a quick response. I wish you well in your business.

Thanks again Jeff.

Ps. The file you sent me I had to change the name from DKSA0000 to DSKA0000.HFE for it to work. Maybe it was a typo in naming the file.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Ziah4u wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:51 pm
Ps. The file you sent me I had to change the name from DKSA0000 to DSKA0000.HFE for it to work. Maybe it was a typo in naming the file.
mhh no the file in the zip have the .img extension. this should work "out the box" (and this is not a hfe file!)
Maybe you should update the firmware too.

and you should have a look to this, this may interest you :
https://hxc2001.com/docs/gotek-floppy-e ... ition.html
:)