Gotek rebooting Roland S-550 after disk load.

Jidis

Gotek rebooting Roland S-550 after disk load.

Post by Jidis »

I'm having an issue with my Gotek randomly crashing/rebooting my Roland S-550 immediately after loading the first disk.

Is there anything in the custom firmware which might stop that from happening? In the internal settings I think the only changes I made were Roland family, generic Shugart DD interface mode, and indexed for user interface (just using the stock 3-digit).

I'm loading raw .img files, but I believe it was doing it for hfe's as well, and if it makes it through the first load, it has no trouble loading any of those same .img files. It's currently running 3.5.12a firmware.

Thanks

Jeff
Site Admin

Re: Gotek rebooting Roland S-550 after disk load.

Post by Jeff »

Jidis wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:07 pm
I'm having an issue with my Gotek randomly crashing/rebooting my Roland S-550 immediately after loading the first disk.

Is there anything in the custom firmware which might stop that from happening? In the internal settings I think the only changes I made were Roland family, generic Shugart DD interface mode, and indexed for user interface (just using the stock 3-digit).

I'm loading raw .img files, but I believe it was doing it for hfe's as well, and if it makes it through the first load, it has no trouble loading any of those same .img files. It's currently running 3.5.12a firmware.

Thanks
Is it a recent issue ?

Some possibilities i see :

-> The image is corrupted.

-> You have an hardware issue ( Power supply issues ? )

Have you tried HFE files ?

Jidis

Post by Jidis »

Hey Jeff,

Yeah, the HFE files were doing it too. It's not every single boot either (maybe 1 out of 4). It's like there's some event after it gets done loading the disk that triggers it.

I'm not 100% positive, but it may have come up after I updated to 3.x firmware.

Thanks!

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Jidis wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:26 am
I'm not 100% positive, but it may have come up after I updated to 3.x firmware.
3.x firmware ? 3.x firmware of the S-550 or the Gotek ?

Can you tell me which firmware you have exactly (version ?)

I have released a fix firmware for the Electone with the v3.5.1.9a. maybe this help too here. try this version.

If this doesn't help, try to downgrade to the v3.4.18.1a and tell me if this fix the issue.

Jidis

Post by Jidis »

Jeff,

Sorry it took a while, I had replaced the Gotek with a non-HxC that was here.

-The most recent firmware giving me the problem was 3.5.1.2a (in the Gotek).

-I updated to the current 3.5.1.9a and it still rebooted.

For some reason, the post with the link to 3.4.18.1a gives me the same (current) 3.5.1.9a file, so I couldn't try that as an older one.

I'll try to keep the machine open for a bit.

Thanks!

<EDIT> I did have a copy of 3.4.16.2a here, and that still reboots, so I don't guess 3.4.18.1a would've helped.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Jidis wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:25 pm
For some reason, the post with the link to 3.4.18.1a gives me the same (current) 3.5.1.9a file, so I couldn't try that as an older one.
All the older firmwares are just in the "OLD_Firmwares" folder in the zip archive.

Please try the v3.4.15.2a and the v3.2.4.1a.

Jidis

Post by Jidis »

Hey again Jeff,

3.4.15.2a still reboots the 550.

3.2.4.1a for some reason wouldn't even boot (the 550 screen just stayed black).

Thanks

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

You don't remember which version you have used before the issue ? Have you tried hfe files with the 3.2.4.1a ?

Anyway you should received an new firmware in your email box. Try it and let me know if this help.

Jidis

Post by Jidis »

Jeff,

I'm not seeing that firmware email yet, but I'll check for it again in a little while.

The version I had been running all along was possibly a 2.x or something. It was from back before we could open .img files.

Take Care

Jidis

Post by Jidis »

Hey again,

Just put 3.2.4.1a back on there and remembered that's the one that doesn't even boot. It's doing the same thing with all HFE files.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Jidis wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:28 am
Hey again,

Just put 3.2.4.1a back on there and remembered that's the one that doesn't even boot. It's doing the same thing with all HFE files.
attached.
HxCUSBFE.UPD
(90 KiB) Downloaded 118 times

Jidis

Post by Jidis »

So far so good Jeff!

It's made it through several boots using several different .img files without the startup crash. I've got to go to sleep soon, but will run it through a bunch tomorrow and post if I can get it to screw up again (hopefully not).

Much Thanks

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Jidis wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:18 am
So far so good Jeff!

It's made it through several boots using several different .img files without the startup crash. I've got to go to sleep soon, but will run it through a bunch tomorrow and post if I can get it to screw up again (hopefully not).

Much Thanks
Ok. this firmware was generated with this : https://hxc2001.com/custom_fw/

With "Non gated mode" set
and
Raw file image family preference set to "Roland".

would be interesting to do the test without the "Non gated mode" option (default value).

Jidis

Post by Jidis »

Bad news Jeff,

I am able to get crashes with that custom FW. I generated a couple (one with/one without non-gated mode set) and got crashes on both, then went back to your attachment FW and still got them. I must have just been lucky last night.

Right now, I've got the HFE images back on there and have been through a few boots with no sign of the crash, so it is still possible that it's an .IMG thing. I guess it's also possible that the drive itself has some issue. I'll let you know if I can get the HFE's to crash.

FWIW, there looks to be a brief flash of the "Next disk please" message on the 550 display before it blows up, so it seems like maybe it happens right when it checks that disk change signal for a new disk.

Thanks

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Can you try with the v3.3.8.2 ? (24 July 2019)