newby - old IMG not recognized

syevad

newby - old IMG not recognized

Post by syevad »

I've just managed to install the Hxc firmware and can record new "floppies" from my Korg Trinity Plus (and changing floppies and the lot)...but I'm having problems loading IMG files from old floppies - I get ERR and then 000...I've also tried to copy single files (SNG and PCG format) using the DosDiskBrowser and creat HFE files with it and then converting it into IMG (then renaming) ...but whatever I try to write into the IMG files from the PC gives ERR messages.
What's the best way to copy old SNG and PCG files into a file which can be read by the Gotek and the Korg Trinity?
Thanks

Jeff
Site Admin

Re: newby - old IMG not recognized

Post by Jeff »

syevad wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:32 pm
I've just managed to install the Hxc firmware and can record new "floppies" from my Korg Trinity Plus (and changing floppies and the lot)...but I'm having problems loading IMG files from old floppies - I get ERR and then 000...I've also tried to copy single files (SNG and PCG format) using the DosDiskBrowser and creat HFE files with it and then converting it into IMG (then renaming) ...but whatever I try to write into the IMG files from the PC gives ERR messages.
What's the best way to copy old SNG and PCG files into a file which can be read by the Gotek and the Korg Trinity?
Thanks
Probably a file image size issue.

But regarding your usage i recommend you to use the new Image-less mode : in this mode you don't need to mess with the images anymore and you can drop the files on the usb stick partitions and read them naturally on the Korg. You will see that this is a lot more straightforward to work with the emulator this way.

To use this mode you just have to prepare/partition the usb stick : There is some pre-partitioned / formatted images available in the the firmware archive (in the "Image_Less_Mode" folder). Write with rufus (or any others tools) the gpt_usb_stick_16_1_44M.img usb stick image.

syevad

Post by syevad »

at last!
I've managed to load some old files using the pre/partitioned IMG (that's great).

Just a few thoughts:
1) Is it normal to have to wait when changing partitions and having to click the "New Medium"? (a lot faster than using real floppies don't get me wrong - just wondering).
2) I need to plug the dongle after turning on my PC (otherwise the Gotek doesn't read any partition). Is there a way to have the dongle working automatically after turning on the trinity (at this stage I need to unplug and plug it again) I'm thinking of using one of those ultra small "FIT" dongle on the gotek? So I can forget about it (I'll take it out only when I need to manage the files on my PC).

thanks.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

syevad wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:59 pm
1) Is it normal to have to wait when changing partitions and having to click the "New Medium"? (a lot faster than using real floppies don't get me wrong - just wondering).
Yes, this is the Auto select delay. You can change it into the embedded menu : Remove the stick, press both button to enter the menu, select '5' then select the number of seconds you want.
syevad wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:59 pm
2) I need to plug the dongle after turning on my PC (otherwise the Gotek doesn't read any partition). Is there a way to have the dongle working automatically after turning on the trinity (at this stage I need to unplug and plug it again) I'm thinking of using one of those ultra small "FIT" dongle on the gotek? So I can forget about it (I'll take it out only when I need to manage the files on my PC).
the stick should be readable right after the power up. have you tried another stick ?

btw you should try the 4.5 MB partitions (gpt_usb_stick_16_4_5M.img) . the trinity is maybe compatible with these big floppy.
to test it put more than 1.44MB of data in one 4.5MB partition and then try to save and read back something on the korg.

syevad

Post by syevad »

I'm waiting to receive the tiny FIT dongle then I'll experiment with bigger partitions for the Trinity (that's certainly an improvement).

About the embedded Menu - are there other functions? Where do I find more info? (Iassume there are at least 5 if not more useful features).

Do I need to copy the CFG file into the dongle to allow this to be read automatically when the Trinity is turned ON?

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

syevad wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:36 am
I'm waiting to receive the tiny FIT dongle then I'll experiment with bigger partitions for the Trinity (that's certainly an improvement).
ok
syevad wrote:
About the embedded Menu - are there other functions? Where do I find more info? (Iassume there are at least 5 if not more useful features).
Yes :
viewtopic.php?p=16457#p16457
see "Internal parameters settings"
syevad wrote:
Do I need to copy the CFG file into the dongle to allow this to be read automatically when the Trinity is turned ON?
No, the "Image-less" is also "config less" ;)

syevad

Post by syevad »

The new SanDisk Cruzer Fit works like a charm on my Trinity Plus...not only is it recognized when left plugged on my Trinity (I can leave it there being so tiny) but it's also a lot faster than the older Kingston DataTraveler G3 (just an older model).
BTW - when using Rufus to write the image partitions on the Cruzer Fit, I opted for GDP and bootable...not sure I did select the bootable option for the Data Traveler...maybe that was the reason why this dongle wasn't recognized if left inside the Korg? (and needed to re-plug it).

Tried to access the hidden menu - it was easy and set the time to a lower 2 (it was defaulted to 4 if I'm not mistaken)...and yes, the access to the floppies is faster...now, if there was a way to get rid of that "Medium Changed" message and related click it would be nice...

Tried also to use bigger partitions (4.5Mb) but apparently the Trinity doesn't like them...the directory shows all files (basically I copied the contents of 4 floppies in 1 partition...but only reads/loads the few on top (the first floppy) - if the files are outside the standard boundaries I get the error message shown in the picture and need to reboot the Trinity (pity).
Attachments
Trinity error message when reading above floppy size...
Trinity error message when reading above floppy size...
20200907_143211small.jpg (66.5 KiB) Viewed 2949 times

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Ok thanks ! (i think i should make a list the machines supporting big/non standard floppy format).

syevad

Post by syevad »

still...IMG files not recognized - the functionality is limited to copy or recording files to a partition but how do I update/restore the OS is something goes wrong?

I need a solution...

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

syevad wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:41 pm
still...IMG files not recognized - the functionality is limited to copy or recording files to a partition but how do I update/restore the OS is something goes wrong?

I need a solution...
Without these IMG files images i can't help . Please share them.

syevad

Post by syevad »

It seems I can't load IMG files in here...shall I try by email?
Meanwhile:
I've read on another thread about this upd file which apparently worked on another trinity...
HxCUSBFEUNGATED.UPD

Is it worth having a try? If so, where can I download it?

(I'll send the IMG files soon).

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

syevad wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:39 pm
It seems I can't load IMG files in here...shall I try by email?
Meanwhile:
I've read on another thread about this upd file which apparently worked on another trinity...
HxCUSBFEUNGATED.UPD

Is it worth having a try? If so, where can I download it?

(I'll send the IMG files soon).
If the emulator is working in image less mode, this is not an hardware or firmware issue (since the emulator is working...), but an file image format problem.
Please send me these .IMG files.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

I still don't have received your files.

syevad

Post by syevad »

I've lost count of how many times I've sent the IMG and ZIP files...can you please provide another email? (maybe the one you are using is blocking my attachments)...I've used another account (previously via Outlook didn't work...the new account is via Gmai).

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

syevad wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:45 am
I've lost count of how many times I've sent the IMG and ZIP files...can you please provide another email? (maybe the one you are using is blocking my attachments)...I've used another account (previously via Outlook didn't work...the new account is via Gmai).
The problem is that any IMG file with a boot sector code will be rejected by the server. As workaround please add a password to the zip file and if your zipper allows this also hide the filenames with the password. This will cipher/encrypt the whole thing and the stupid server antispam/antivirus shouldn't block them anymore.

Other solution : i send you an ftp account and you just push the files on it.