Gotek with HxC firmware in A3010

mikecad

Gotek with HxC firmware in A3010

Post by mikecad »

I just got a Gotek delivered for my A3010. I can read and write files but the issue is that during transfers, drive empty messages keep popping up. I can retry several times throughout the transfer and eventually everything reads or writes and all is good.

Menu 0 (System family selection) is set to 02 (Acorn)
Menu 1 (Interface mode) is set to 02 (IBM PC HD) I set this because the only Acorn option available seems to be GENERIC SHUGART DD which I presume is good for the A3000 etc with 800K drive.

The jumper on the Gotek by default was in position S0. I have also tried it in S1 and M0. S0 and M0 give the same issue. S1 the drive doesn't appear at all.

Any thoughts on what might be causing this?

I just transitioned from using one of Lotharek's HxC Rev F's on this machine which worked fine 100%. Problem is it doesn't fit in the A3010 case so I know my floppy cable is fine, and the firmware. Presume it's a jumper/setting issue. Cheers!

Jeff
Site Admin

Re: Gotek with HxC firmware in A3010

Post by Jeff »

Have you the issue also when reading ? Are you using HFE files ? Which firmware version have you ?

mikecad

Post by mikecad »

I'm using HFE files yes, same ones I used on the HxC Rev F, but also a few new ones I created. I created some empty floppy images to write data to and some with software on to test writing it back to hard disk.

I just did a test now, writing from the hard disk to a floppy image, got interrupted plenty of times and had to click retry lots. Copying it from the floppy image back to the hard disk did not have any issues. Went straight through without any interruption (about 1.1MB data in total).

3.4.14.1 is what is shown in menu F.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

mikecad wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:14 pm
I'm using HFE files yes, same ones I used on the HxC Rev F, but also a few new ones I created. I created some empty floppy images to write data to and some with software on to test writing it back to hard disk.

I just did a test now, writing from the hard disk to a floppy image, got interrupted plenty of times and had to click retry lots. Copying it from the floppy image back to the hard disk did not have any issues. Went straight through without any interruption (about 1.1MB data in total).

3.4.14.1 is what is shown in menu F.
Ok then this is probably a write speed issue : The A3010 doesn't like the late index signal..

Can you try to use .ADF file directly ? This is supported by the firmware and the write speed should be better.

mikecad

Post by mikecad »

I exported a blank 1.6MB ADF floppy image and dropped it onto the USB stick. Computer doesn't like it though, reporting Disc not formatted.

This is by creating a new disk 1.6MB 3.5", DSHD, FAT12 disk, exported as DSKA0002.ADF to the root of the USB drive. Gotek is running index mode.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

mikecad wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:33 pm
I exported a blank 1.6MB ADF floppy image and dropped it onto the USB stick. Computer doesn't like it though, reporting Disc not formatted.

This is by creating a new disk 1.6MB 3.5", DSHD, FAT12 disk, exported as DSKA0002.ADF to the root of the USB drive. Gotek is running index mode.
no this is not the right way for the A3010 (the sectors size are different). Can you export/convert an currently working HFE file to ADF ?
(With the HxC tool , export to *.IMG, then change .IMG extension to .ADF - Don't use the "*.ADF" choice in the hxc tool, this is for Amiga.)
(Share some of your HFE files).

mikecad

Post by mikecad »

OK I created a 1.6MB HFE disk and put a file on it. Saved it, then exported it to IMG raw. Then renamed it to ADF. The resulting disk comes up as Disc not understood - has it been formatted? error when reading etc. I presume IMG raw is what you meant? I can read the HFE disk ok, just not the one exported to IMG and renamed to ADF.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

mikecad wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:26 pm
OK I created a 1.6MB HFE disk and put a file on it. Saved it, then exported it to IMG raw. Then renamed it to ADF. The resulting disk comes up as Disc not understood - has it been formatted? error when reading etc. I presume IMG raw is what you meant? I can read the HFE disk ok, just not the one exported to IMG and renamed to ADF.
Please share your HFEs.

mikecad

Post by mikecad »

So I loaded the ADF image you pointed to in the HxCFloppyEmulator. Attempting to open the image and browse the disk gives Null sized DOS image ! Invalid disk ! and when loading as a RAW image it gives the same. The A3010 looks to be able to read it ok though. I managed to create a folder on it. How best to go about adding files to such an image from my Mac? What settings do I need to use when attempting to browse it?

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

mikecad wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:14 pm
So I loaded the ADF image you pointed to in the HxCFloppyEmulator. Attempting to open the image and browse the disk gives Null sized DOS image ! Invalid disk ! and when loading as a RAW image it gives the same. The A3010 looks to be able to read it ok though. I managed to create a folder on it. How best to go about adding files to such an image from my Mac? What settings do I need to use when attempting to browse it?
mhh maybe i will learn something with your question : Is the Acorn A3010 able to read DOS/PC floppy disks ?
If so just try to create an 1.44MB IMG file without changing the extension.

As far i know the Acorn .ADF files don't use the FAT file system. That's why you can't browse it with the HxC Tool.