Gotek no keep position after loading.

Zanac_76

Gotek no keep position after loading.

Post by Zanac_76 »

Hi,
I have a small but annoying inconvenience since Gotek with Amiga 500. I have the HXC update V3.4.10.8a. With "normal mode" configuration.

After loading an ADF image, it does not maintain the position of the file.
If I need to load disc 2 of a game, when I give it up or down position, Gotek forever returns me to the beginning of the folder and I lose the mentioned position of the disc.
I don't know what to configure. ..some help?

Thanks !

Jeff
Site Admin

Re: Gotek no keep position after loading.

Post by Jeff »

Weird. Have you the cfg file on the stick ?

Zanac_76

Post by Zanac_76 »

Hi Jeff,
I just saw your answer.
Yes, the configuration file is present in the pen (normal mode)
The pen is 32GB formatted correctly to FAT32.

I must add that this is happening to me with the updates from 2019 onwards. I think before that I did not fail.
The cfg file that I have in the pen is the one that includes the updated package.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Zanac_76 wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:39 pm
Hi Jeff,
I just saw your answer.
Yes, the configuration file is present in the pen (normal mode)
The pen is 32GB formatted correctly to FAT32.

I must add that this is happening to me with the updates from 2019 onwards. I think before that I did not fail.
The cfg file that I have in the pen is the one that includes the updated package.
How many files have you in the same folder ?
This is maybe related with the files sorting features introduced last year. Due to RAM limitation the file sort is only working if you have some hundreds of files in the folder, not many more. Maybe you are in this case.

Zanac_76

Post by Zanac_76 »

I tried what you said about the number of files per folder and even with only 64 files I also had the problem.

I think that given the problem.
I have an external Amiga drive adapter cable for Gotek and when I power the unit from the Amiga's rear connector, it fails me.
With external power the problem disappears.
The Amiga 500 does not really offer power to these units by the external disk port?

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Zanac_76 wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:12 pm
I tried what you said about the number of files per folder and even with only 64 files I also had the problem.

I think that given the problem.
I have an external Amiga drive adapter cable for Gotek and when I power the unit from the Amiga's rear connector, it fails me.
With external power the problem disappears.
The Amiga 500 does not really offer power to these units by the external disk port?
ooh this is getting more and more interesting :!: . So this means that the Gotek and/or the USB stick is resetting when you try to change the image ?
Maybe the Gotek is not enough decoupled and the EMI filter in the Amiga is indirectly causing the issue.
In fact i think that the USB stick can be the cause : Some USB 3 stick have some very important peak current when writing. The gotek is definitively poorly decoupled so the 5V and maybe the 3V MCU voltage probably drop to some unacceptable level.
Can you add a capacitor on the Gotek ? Something around 220uF ?

Zanac_76

Post by Zanac_76 »

I tried to change the pen for another 2.0 and the problem persists. Discard then the USB 3.0
I would like to try the capacitor, could you leave me a small scheme or where to weld it exactly?

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Zanac_76 wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:25 pm
I tried to change the pen for another 2.0 and the problem persists. Discard then the USB 3.0
I would like to try the capacitor, could you leave me a small scheme or where to weld it exactly?
Just put a chemical capacitor on the gotek input power connector : Connect the Positive pin to the +5V (Red wire) and the negative pin to the gound/vss (black wire).

Zanac_76

Post by Zanac_76 »

I just did two tests.
One with a 10v capacitor. 220uf
Another with another 16v capacitor. 220uf ..

The problem persists, I returned to the beginning of the folder again... :(

Do you suggest anything else? Anyway I thank you for your help.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Zanac_76 wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:44 pm
I just did two tests.
One with a 10v capacitor. 220uf
Another with another 16v capacitor. 220uf ..

The problem persists, I returned to the beginning of the folder again... :(

Do you suggest anything else? Anyway I thank you for your help.
What about the internal power connector ?

Zanac_76

Post by Zanac_76 »

Hi,
Sorry for the delay in responding, I haven't had time to devote to this until now.

I have discovered something else relevant.
With external power, when the Amiga is turned off and on .. The Gotek not interrupting the power, not problem ..
But I tried with internal power of the external diskette port .. and if I only reset Amiga and the current is continuous, the problem does not occur.

With a computer on, if I turn off the power to the gotek and turn on when choosing a floppy disk, it always resets at the beginning of the folder. The last disc loaded appears on the gotek screen, but as long as I give it a choice of disc with the left or right buttons .. it takes me directly to the beginning of the folder.
The problem is not the food itself, it is more like a problem I think of the gotek. When the gotek itself is turned off and on (power cut) even when the last disc appears on the screen, it always takes me to the beginning of carperta, but if there is no cut in the gotek and the current is continuous, there is no problem.

I hope I explained myself well.

EDIT :
I want to point out that now with the condenser you recommended, the performance of the gotek is remarkably better.
Respond better to the selection controls, faster.
Before the response of the buttons was slower, so even if I do not correct the problem in question that I mentioned, I will leave the condenser only for the improvement that I told you,

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Zanac_76 wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:47 pm
Hi,
Sorry for the delay in responding, I haven't had time to devote to this until now.

I have discovered something else relevant.
With external power, when the Amiga is turned off and on .. The Gotek not interrupting the power, not problem ..
But I tried with internal power of the external diskette port .. and if I only reset Amiga and the current is continuous, the problem does not occur.

With a computer on, if I turn off the power to the gotek and turn on when choosing a floppy disk, it always resets at the beginning of the folder. The last disc loaded appears on the gotek screen, but as long as I give it a choice of disc with the left or right buttons .. it takes me directly to the beginning of the folder.
The problem is not the food itself, it is more like a problem I think of the gotek. When the gotek itself is turned off and on (power cut) even when the last disc appears on the screen, it always takes me to the beginning of carperta, but if there is no cut in the gotek and the current is continuous, there is no problem.

I hope I explained myself well.
Ok then this is totally different thing...
I will have to test this on my unit here.
Zanac_76 wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:47 pm
EDIT :
I want to point out that now with the condenser you recommended, the performance of the gotek is remarkably better.
Respond better to the selection controls, faster.
Before the response of the buttons was slower, so even if I do not correct the problem in question that I mentioned, I will leave the condenser only for the improvement that I told you,
Interesting and weird in the same time. Are you sure that this the capacitor is helping ? This is maybe something else you have done ?

Zanac_76

Post by Zanac_76 »

The condenser is true at least in my case, it improves the execution time of the controls in the gotek.
If it is rare but with a desoldering condenser I have tried and the gotek becomes somewhat slower .. No idea that it can be :?:

Regarding the problem of returning to the beginning of the folder, I hope you try it and if possible you can give some advice on this.
Anyway I will have to pull external power for now if I do not want this to happen ..
Either that or with internal power, reset with the keys LEFT A + RIGHT A + CTRL .. I do not like the idea to load a program or game initially ..
Sometimes certain programs do not go well and you need to turn off and on the computer to release ram and thus load the program with full work property.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Hi,

i have fixed the issue in the attached firmware (v3.4.11.1). Please test it and tell me if this is Ok for you.
HxCUSBFE.UPD.zip
(86.15 KiB) Downloaded 161 times

Zanac_76

Post by Zanac_76 »

Hi Jeff,
I just tried it thoroughly and I must say that now it goes like silk ! :D
With Gotek on external disk rear port, I now turn off and on the computer. I load a program and if I need disk 2, Gotek keeps the last position loaded and allows me to choose the next disk without a positioning problem.
Please, remember to include this correction in the next updates.

Many, many thanks for this, really wonderful ! :wink: