Slimline gotek drive hardware configuration

Jeff
Site Admin

Re: Slimline gotek drive hardware configuration

Post by Jeff »

mikeyp wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 8:17 pm
Hi Jeff

I've just swapped in the OLED display which as you can see works flawlessly, however it does cause an odd issue, once initialised the red error LED stays on constantly. The green access LED works as normal.
IMG_1900.jpg
If I swap back in the 7 segment display, it works normally, off most of the time and lighting red when I press a button etc.
IMG_1901.jpg
Is this a bug in the firmware or something the OLED is causing?

Thanks again

Michael
Not a software bug, but a strange thing in the gotek hw design : the "error led" is mounted as pull up on one of the screen i2c bus signal.
Since the oled is constantly updated, the red led is lit constantly too.

mikeyp

Post by mikeyp »

Ooh ok. That is odd. I presume it's safe on this model to remove the red LED then? Some 34 pin models don't seem to have it. I have one with it but folded back internally and two without.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

mikeyp wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 10:42 pm
Ooh ok. That is odd. I presume it's safe to remove the red LED then?
not sure : if you remove this led, this also remove the pull up.
you may need to replace it with a 1Kohms resistor.

mikeyp

Post by mikeyp »

Jeff wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 10:58 pm
R21 is already 1K to the common anode of the LED. Are you suggesting bridging it with another 1K resitor or just relying on the existing 1K resistor?

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

mikeyp wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 11:10 pm
Jeff wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 10:58 pm
R21 is already 1K to the common anode of the LED. Are you suggesting bridging it with another 1K resitor or just relying on the existing 1K resistor?
i recommend to bridge it with another 1K resistor. the r21 is common to both leds.

mikeyp

Post by mikeyp »

Jeff wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 11:47 pm
i recommend to bridge it with another 1K resistor. the r21 is common to both leds.
I de-soldered the red leg of the LED and bridged the connections with a 1K resistor as you suggested. This seems to work just fine. I didn't try it without.

This is the completed unit with OLED screen. I've left the leg floating in case I wish to reconnect it in future. There's no risk of it touching anything. I've also re-removed resistor RA so I don't need custom firmware.
IMG_1915.jpg
IMG_1915.jpg (126.45 KiB) Viewed 6514 times
Here's the finished unit next to an unmodified floppy drive version. All I need now is to find some suitable grey plastic, cut to size and cut the holes and fit it to blend in and keep the original aesthetic.
IMG_1933.JPG
IMG_1933.JPG (91.98 KiB) Viewed 6514 times
Lastly, I have reverted to a standard "Normal" config file but have used the menu on the drive to set the function of pins 2 and 34 to nDiskChange1 and nReady respectively. This way I don't need to change the config file when I take the memory stick back to the standard 34-pin gotek drives.

I also came across the issue where the files aren't in alphabetical order in normal mode because it's an embedded system which puts them in FAT table order but found this thread which fixed the issue. viewtopic.php?f=33&t=3072&p=17386&hilit ... der#p17386

Thank you for your help Jeff and I hope others find this thread useful too.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

mikeyp wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 12:00 am
I also came across the issue where the files aren't in alphabetical order in normal mode because it's an embedded system which puts them in FAT table order but found this thread which fixed the issue. viewtopic.php?f=33&t=3072&p=17386&hilit ... der#p17386
Anyway i will try to add an automatic files sorting in a next fw version.

mikeyp

Post by mikeyp »

Thank you. That would be a good feature.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

mikeyp wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 8:16 pm
Thank you. That would be a good feature.
Done ! :
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=3147&p=20611#p20611

mikeyp

Post by mikeyp »

Hi Jeff. Thank you for this! It seems to work really well!

acadiel

Post by acadiel »

Mickey - were any of these issues ever resolved? I am trying to do the exact same thing - probably as the only solution (I can't find a good 1.25mm 13mm floppy drive for this enclosure any longer.) I have the 1.25mm->1.00mm board on order, and can probably follow your instructions about the jumpers in the thread.

Where did you order your slimline? I want to make sure I get the same exact one.

mikeyp

Post by mikeyp »

I documented everything above to the point it was working fine. Read the whole thread as there were some quirks. Mostly specific to my laptop though.

The unit was one of these but they are hard to find. You’ll likely have to wait for it to ship from China. It doesn’t matter so long as it’s this form factor and says gotek on the front.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/362942851447

Buy and install the hxc firmware and if you have any issues, read this thread, search the rest of the forum and then start your own thread if you don’t find the answer.

Jeff is amazing with his support of this. Be patient and he will get back to you.

Bvalrs

Post by Bvalrs »

Good afternoon
I have the same Gotek slimline (SM32F105) and the same case from Toshiba Floppy disk. I’ve remove resistor RA , RB , Jumpers S1, JD and JE connected , used the menu on the drive to set the function of pins 2 and 34 to nDiskChange1 and nReady - "Disk in drive A is not formatted"...
Does anyone know a solution to this problem?
Attachments
IMG_1538.jpg
IMG_1538.jpg (97.33 KiB) Viewed 1507 times
IMG_1537.jpg
IMG_1537.jpg (103.98 KiB) Viewed 1507 times

mikeyp

Post by mikeyp »

It’s been a long time since I worked on this so my memory of it is vague. Your laptop is newer than mine. It is possible it is expecting standard signals. Have you tried with standard menu settings and then switching each of those in turn individually to see if that helps? Beyond that I can’t offer any advice about your machine but I’m sure Jeff will be along soon.

Bvalrs

Post by Bvalrs »

Thanks for the answer ,
I tried all combinations of settings and different firmware, and on different laptops (these floppy disks were suitable for a large number of Toshiba laptops).
With other settings different from yours, the disk was not detected at all.

p.s. My laptop is Toshiba Satellite Pro 430, 1995, not very new.