Firmware updates for the STM32/Gotek HxC floppy emulators !

Jeff
Site Admin

Re: New Alpha version Firmware - Volunteer Testers needed !

Post by Jeff »

Kingstener wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:35 pm
Jeff wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:20 pm
i haven't received your email. anyway i have just sent another firmware.
Btw : how many time is needed for the uC do receive the i2c command and draw a character ? Is there some kind of buffer into your firmware ?
Unfortunately also not much better, it is like a random generator - times it works, sometimes missing letters... :-(

There is no buffer, the two nibble are received, added to a byte, and outputted with the write edge, if this is done, the akn for the write command goes out. So there are lot different timings, but so it remains synchronous and it gives no drop outs.
The exactly timing I have now no longer in the head - up to the v3.0.19.2a there has everything worked perfectly, think i will flash this and good is ....
Did you use the "stretch" i2c functionality to slowdown the master if needed ?

Kingstener

Post by Kingstener »

Jeff wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:20 pm

No! Stretching keeps the Clk low to slow down the transmission.
I let the master wait for the AKN, as long as the transmission to the OLED runs
Otherwise it would not work, since I transfer the character in point columns, it takes somewhat longer than the two nibbel of the STM.
And so it remains synchronous- until now without problems
But thank you for your help, if you do not want or can not make the previous transmission mode,then it remains ...

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Kingstener wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:38 am
Jeff wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:20 pm

No! Stretching keeps the Clk low to slow down the transmission.
I let the master wait for the AKN, as long as the transmission to the OLED runs
Otherwise it would not work, since I transfer the character in point columns, it takes somewhat longer than the two nibbel of the STM.
And so it remains synchronous- until now without problems
But thank you for your help, if you do not want or can not make the previous transmission mode,then it remains ...
Ok got it ! this the AKn waiting time is maybe the issue : In the firmware if it didn't come fast enough, i reset the i2c communication. This delay is probably too short ! I have sent to you a new firmware with the delay corrected and a very slow refresh (for test!).

Kingstener

Post by Kingstener »

Jeff wrote: Ok got it ! this the AKn waiting time is maybe the issue : In the firmware if it didn't come fast enough, i reset the i2c communication. This delay is probably too short !
And why were the errors only in the first line? The second line was always error free!
The longest time needs "clear screen" with 512 bytes
Jeff wrote: I have sent to you a new firmware with the delay corrected and a very slow refresh (for test!).
Ok, this works without missing characters - (very slow )

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Kingstener wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:50 am
Jeff wrote: Ok got it ! this the AKn waiting time is maybe the issue : In the firmware if it didn't come fast enough, i reset the i2c communication. This delay is probably too short !
And why were the errors only in the first line? The second line was always error free!
The longest time needs "clear screen" with 512 bytes
Jeff wrote: I have sent to you a new firmware with the delay corrected and a very slow refresh (for test!).
Ok, this works without missing characters - (very slow )
Which acknowledge are you using to slow down the communication ? the first one right after the the i2c address transmission ?

Kingstener

Post by Kingstener »

Jeff wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:01 pm
Which acknowledge are you using to slow down the communication ? the first one right after the the i2c address transmission ?
If the byte to be transferred is complete, ie the second nibble with enable = high or differently expresses the AKN of the fifth byte

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Kingstener wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:18 pm
Jeff wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:01 pm
If the byte to be transferred is complete, ie the second nibble with enable = high or differently expresses the AKN of the fifth byte
Ok so to get this ack working correctly, i must send one I2C frame per byte ? Multibytes I2C frame is not possible ?

Before : 6 I2C frames to send one LCD data byte.

I2CADDR BYTE 0 STOP
I2CADDR BYTE 1 STOP (first Nibble enable)
I2CADDR BYTE 2 STOP
I2CADDR BYTE 3 STOP
I2CADDR BYTE 4 STOP (second Nibble enable)
I2CADDR BYTE 5 STOP

Now :

I2CADDR BYTE 0 BYTE 1 BYTE 2 BYTE 3 BYTE 4 BYTE 5 STOP

Can this work with your mod ?

Kingstener

Post by Kingstener »

Jeff wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:51 pm
Now :

I2CADDR BYTE 0 BYTE 1 BYTE 2 BYTE 3 BYTE 4 BYTE 5 STOP

Can this can work with your mod ?
We're turning in a circle - i'm rather think not, because from somewhere the problem must come

I'm not so deep in the I2C matter, as I said at the beginning I use a finished I2C software module and get only the data that I process and confirm

You have not answered the question yet - why no errors in the second line? What is different there ?

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Kingstener wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:34 pm
You have not answered the question yet - why no errors in the second line? What is different there ?
I don't know at all. all lines are processed with the same way in the code and all is working properly with a normal lcd. after different tests it appears that the mod don't like the set address/cursor position.
I have changed the code to remove the multibytes i2c frames. let me know if this solve the issue...

Kingstener

Post by Kingstener »

Jeff wrote:
...after different tests it appears that the mod don't like the set address/cursor position.
But otherwise the track / display would not work
I had scanned everything that was needed and implemented it
Jeff wrote: I have changed the code to remove the multibytes i2c frames. let me know if this solve the issue...
Works apparently, only the LED annoying, can not be switched off after the communication?

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Kingstener wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:16 pm
Jeff wrote:
...after different tests it appears that the mod don't like the set address/cursor position.
But otherwise the track / display would not work
I had scanned everything that was needed and implemented it
Jeff wrote: I have changed the code to remove the multibytes i2c frames. let me know if this solve the issue...
Works apparently, only the LED annoying, can not be switched off after the communication?
in this version the whole screen is updated all the time.
i have just sent a version with less communication. Is this still working ?

Kingstener

Post by Kingstener »

Jeff wrote: in this version the whole screen is updated all the time.
i have just sent a version with less communication. Is this still working ?
Works too and the LED flashes now slightly slower, but still annoying. Must that be necessarily ?

Remains resolder or visit a shrink ? :shock:

Edit:
Too early pleased, after about 30 minutes with a wake up at once only confusion in the first line (was the scrolling text of a longer name)
With the old firmware, the computer has run through 7 days /24 hours without any errors
confusion.jpg
confusion.jpg (29.88 KiB) Viewed 780540 times
I'm sorry, I have now flashed an old firmware, the computer must now run again ... !
And I also have to devote again myself to other things, thanks for your support !

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Yes, i confirm i got this corruption on normal LCD too. This may take several hours to happen, but it does. the lcd become out of sync between the nibbles.
As workaround i have added an frequent reinit of the lcd to recover this possible situation. the reinit is done every 20seconds.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

LCD / OLED issue fixed :

https://hxc2001.com/download/floppy_dri ... rmware.zip

(in the <<Next_WIP_Alpha_Firmware_And_Tools>> folder)

https://hxc2001.com/download/floppy_dri ... _notes.txt

Kingstener

Post by Kingstener »

Jeff wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:30 pm

- Sound buzzer output on the "JB" jumper position. You can connect a piezo or a magnetic buzzer (transistor needed for the magnetic version).
The sound output can be disabled or enabled into the selector settings.
(Note : Please remove these old sound mod using directly the step signal, they are producing reliability problems...)
Nice , but even a piezo should not be connected directly without suitable protective, in the case of mechanical excitations (bumps, vibrations) there higher voltages can be generated and the processor can be damaged...