OLED mod

af0l

Re: OLED mod

Post by af0l »

Kyran wrote:With the Ardinuo IDE I'm able to upload standard sketches to the Digispark Attiny85 via USB. However, I haven't figured out how to do the same with the HEX file. Do I treat the HEX as a bootloader?
on Mac it goes like this:

/Applications/Arduino.app//Contents/Java/hardware/tools/avr/bin/avrdude -C/Applications/Arduino.app//Contents/Java/hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf -v -v -v -v -pattiny85 -cstk500v1 -P/dev/cu.usbmodem1411 -b19200 -Uflash:w:/Users/andrej/Downloads/oled/Firmware_AVR_I2C/oled_t85_v01b.hex

I reworked this from Windows sample, so it should not be hard to change it back. Good luck :)

af0l

Post by af0l »

Wow. This looks great. Thank you!
IMG_0005.png
IMG_0005.png (133.82 KiB) Viewed 6269 times

aotta

Post by aotta »

hi, i've tried to implement the good kingstener guide for both i2c and spi lcd but... i'm not able to make it work! :?
When connected the vero board, the lcd remain off, and gotek doesn't work too (red led doesn't blink at boot time).
I've checked the input voltage to LCD, and it's 5v and 0v to VCC and GND, and a bit less of 4v to SDA and SCL.
I programmed the attiny85 with my TL866 (my Arduino is out of service), trying both with default fuse setting and with the setting suggested in the readme.
Some help from who has already made the work? the lcd should display something (or simply lights, like 16x2 lcd do when SDA and LCD are inverted.. :) ) when powered on, even if Attiny85 or some connection are wrong?
Any help will be appreciated, thanks!

af0l

Post by af0l »

Well, when turned on, the red lihgt on the Gotek should blink. The OLED does not have backlight, so it does nothing until the characters are displayed (which should happen pretty fast, if tou have USB key with correct config plugged in...

Maybe if you posted a picture of your connection, we could help you with that.

aotta

Post by aotta »

af0l wrote:Well, when turned on, the red lihgt on the Gotek should blink. The OLED does not have backlight, so it does nothing until the characters are displayed (which should happen pretty fast, if tou have USB key with correct config plugged in...

Maybe if you posted a picture of your connection, we could help you with that.
Well, my Gotek's red led blinks (and works) when Oled PCB disconnected, so it may be somewhere shorted... i'll post a pic of my board when at home, but it isn't one of my best (and clear) soldering job... maybe i'll try to rewire from scratch before! :)

ghostinthemachine

Post by ghostinthemachine »

Hi Kingestener,

im interested in this mod.

Could you explain where to get the pcb for translating between gotek and the oled? Does it need to be programmed?

aotta

Post by aotta »

ghostinthemachine wrote:Hi Kingestener,

im interested in this mod.

Could you explain where to get the pcb for translating between gotek and the oled? Does it need to be programmed?
Hi,
waiting for Kingestener reply, you can read carefully the first post... all files are included! ;)

Kingstener

Post by Kingstener »

@aotta This circuit is made for a graphic OLED display and is completely unsuitable for LCD. :)

If nothing happens on the display, there maybe an confusion between SDA / SCL
In the wiring diagram was an error in the marking of SDA / SCL, I have just corrected it.
Sorry... and thanks for the hint.

@ghostinthemachine sorry, it's just for DIY

aotta

Post by aotta »

Thank You for updating the schematics, i will update my board (and sorry for named "lcd" the oled display in previous post). But gerber files you attached to your pdf are correct? I have just ordered 2 pcb..
And, the second capacitor in the spi version, is a 100nf? I made my test with the different value you suggested
Last edited by aotta on Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kingstener

Post by Kingstener »

Yes, the PCBs are correct, so the error with the marking in the schema was not noticed :wink:

aotta wrote: And, the second capacitor in the spi version, is a 100nf?
Argh, a hole stuffed, the next ripped up... :shock:
For the reset that must be 1000nF=1µF :wink:
Last edited by Kingstener on Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

aotta

Post by aotta »

Thank you! While testing, i have already burned (literally) a gotek hxc modded and an oled display... But i will try until i will got it work! I love your project!

ghostinthemachine

Post by ghostinthemachine »

i found it. The detailed explaination was only in the english version...

af0l

Post by af0l »

Kingstener wrote:@aotta This circuit is made for a graphic OLED display and is completely unsuitable for LCD. :)

If nothing happens on the display, there maybe an confusion between SDA / SCL
In the wiring diagram was an error in the marking of SDA / SCL, I have just corrected it.
Sorry... and thanks for the hint.
@ghostinthemachine sorry, it's just for DIY
And here I thought it was me who misread the markings :)

Thanks again for the design, it looks awesome. I'm devising a case to put it inside my Mega STE and make it even prettier...

aotta

Post by aotta »

i am afraid my oled is not the right resolution... or may be i have fried it while testing the correct connection... any suggestion? :)
3dTank.jpg
3dTank.jpg (70.91 KiB) Viewed 6177 times

Kingstener

Post by Kingstener »

ooh, it looks strange... :shock:

- 0.91" OLED 128x32 with SSD1306 driver ?
- Fuses from readme?
- R/C on reset 1000nF/27K? (if it is a SPI display)
- VCC 3,3V ?

Swap of SCL / SDA brings nothing to fry :wink: