Gotek and Korg DSM-1

kktheory

Gotek and Korg DSM-1

Post by kktheory »

Cheers everybody!

So, I bought one of those Gotek floppy drive emulators to use with the Korg DSM-1 sampler. I dind’t manage to get it to work yet, though. I’ll give you a rundown of what I did and, hopefully, that will give you enough information to pinpoint the problem.

Here’s what I did:
1. Got a license from Jean-Francois and got the bootloader into the device using the USB/TTL converter.
2. Updated the firmware using HXCFEUSB_HFE_V3_0_8_1a.upd file.
3. Connected the prepared Gotek to the DSM-1 using the original ribbon cable pinout (i.e. pin 1 to pin 1, pin 34 to pin 34, the same as it was on the floppy drive)
4. Formatted an 8Gb USB drive stick to FAT32, copied Indexed Mode config file (HXCSDFE.CFG) to the root of a USB drive.
5. Downloaded a bunch of *.dsk Korg DSM-1 and Korg DSS-1 disk images from here http://www.wiseguysynth.com/larry/dss-1/disk.htm and here http://www.wiseguysynth.com/larry/dsm-1/disk-dsm.htm
6. Batch converted them from *.dsk to *.hfe using HxCFloppyEmulator app
7. Renamed the converted files to DSKA0000.hfe, DSKA0001.hfe, DSKA0002.hfe, etc. and put them to the root of a flash drive.
8. Inserted the prepared drive into the Gotek. Looks like the Gotek itself is working, as there are “HxC” letters on it’s display when the DSM-1 boots up. After the boot, I’m able to select disks using buttons on the Gotek. But as soon as I try to run any function that accesses the disk (i.e. load a system, get disk status, format disk, etc), the DSM-1 just freezes dead and I have to power it off and on again to get it back to life.

What am I doing wrong? :) Do I have to change the jumper position on the Gotek itself? What’s the right way to convert images from DSK to HFE format? Have no other ideas where the problem may be.
Hopefully, you will be able to help me out with this :) Thanks in advance!

kktheory

Re: Gotek and Korg DSM-1

Post by kktheory »

OK, turns out the jumper on the Gotek has to be set at S0 position. Tried it out and it WORKS :) DSM-1 loads up both DSS-1 and DSM-1 disk images just fine.

The only problem left is that the DSM-1 can't format existing disk images downloaded from the internet, and, as a result, it can’t save my own samples. The DSM-1 makes an attempt to format, but then displays "Disk Data Error" and that's it. I do have some properly formatted blank floppy disks lying around, but I can't make image files out of them because I’m on a Mac and have only USB floppy drive. So far I wasn’t able to find any software that makes disk image files out of DSM-1 formatted floppy disks via a USB floppy drive. Any ideas on how to create blank HFE image files so that DSM-1 will be able to format them?

agent29

Post by agent29 »

From the raw file format window try selecting "Standard 3" Amstrad CPC" then "create empty floppy". Export it as DSKA0000.HFE then put it on your disk and try and format it. Also make sure your config file has index mode enabled.

kktheory

Post by kktheory »

Thanks for your suggestion, agent29. Just tried that, but it doesn't work as well. I don't think this is the right option because the output image size is 1Mb, whereas other converted DSM-1 images are 4Mb each.

kktheory

Post by kktheory »

Alright, here's a little update. I've tried to modify and save existing samples on the DSM-1. Looks like the Gotek drive isn't able to write data to the disk image files at all. As soon as I try to save samples/multisamples from the DSM-1 it just makes an attempt to write data and then just freezes. I tried several USB flash drives and different disk image files to no avail. So, the problem is either in the Gotek drive itself or in the HxC firmware. Any ideas?

agent29

Post by agent29 »

Hi there sorry for the late reply we've been moving.

Ive attached some HFE files which are 1.91MB and my config file from my DSS1 for you to try, there may be either sounds or waveforms ive written? Its been a few months since the studio was packed up for moving and I really cant remember whats on them? and the DSS is still in storage! I was able to format these HFE files from the DSS after a lot of faffing around as it also wouldn't write or format to start with, however I cant remember what I did to resolve the write issue. Anyway try these files and see how you get on they do work for me on My DSS1 :D
Attachments
HXCSDFE.zip
(216 Bytes) Downloaded 467 times
DSKA0000.zip
(81.03 KiB) Downloaded 458 times

kktheory

Post by kktheory »

ayo man, thanks for your efforts! truly appreciate it! I'm going to try your files today.
Do you have the Gotek or some other HxC emulator in your DSS-1?

agent29

Post by agent29 »

I have two DSS-1's both running Gotek drives flashed with HXC Software. Hope the files work for you. if not Ill dig out one of the DSS's from storage and see if we can find a resolution, as it was a bit of a faff to get them to work.

kktheory

Post by kktheory »

oh. even one DSS-1 is a beast, but two of them is just wow :)

I tried your files, Agent29, but the DSM-1 still wasn't able to format disk images. Looks like it does something for about two minutes, but then just shows "Disk Data Error" message in the end.

Not really sure if taking your DSS-1 out of storage will worth the effort. AFAIK, DSS-1 and DSM-1 are slightly different, because DSS-1 can read only 720Kb disks, while DSM-1 can read both 720Kb and 1.44Mb disks. DSS-1 disks are backward compatible with DSM-1, but not the other way around. As of now, I'm inclined to think that the two possible sources of the problem could be:
1. Jumper setting on the Gotek drive. I tried various jumper settings and with some of them the DSM-1 was able to read data, with some of them it was able to read and successfully write data and with some of them it wasn't able to work at all. But haven't found a jumper setting that allowed the DSM-1 to successfully format the disk image, which leads to the second possible problem
2. HxC firmware bug/error/problem that scrambles the DSM-1 data, thus preventing the unit to format the disk image properly.

Agent29, do you remember if you changed jumper settings or anything at all physically on your Goteks?

agent29

Post by agent29 »

I had completely overlooked the fdd interface differences, do you have jumper "JA" closed for drive ready on pin 34, it also may require the "MO" jumper to be closed as well for motor sensing. any chance you can upload a picture of the drive showing jumpers and IDC cable?

Im editing this post as I have just had a brainwave. The config file interface setting I believe should be set to "Amstrad CPC" as this is the default "DSK" format shared between the Korg and CPC. I did mention earlier in the post about setting the HFE file to Amstrad, this was a "retard moment" on my behalf which should be ignored. Try just my CFG file with the files you converted from DSM / DSK to HFE.

I believe this could be just a CFG issue which can be fettled to work , however we need to make sure the jumpers are correct on your Gotek. do you still have the mechanical drive removed from the DSM? it should have jumpers you can see and emulate on the Gotek.

agent29

Post by agent29 »

Right, again ignore my last post Ive had my proverbial knickers in a twist trying to suss this, looking at my CFG file it is a standard auto file.

Having gone through some old emails I found a reply from Jeff when I was having issues. I had converted DSK to HFE incorrectly by selecting Treat files as RAW files however the response from Jeff was "Don't use the "treat input files as raw files" for these files : This is CopyQM DSK files and the software can recognize them"

I have prepared a HD HFE image which I hope works but I dont have a DSM to test it with, place it in your flash drive and attempt to format it from the DSM.
Attachments
DSKA0000.zip
(39.29 KiB) Downloaded 432 times

kktheory

Post by kktheory »

Yeah, I still have the original floppy drive lying around. Interestingly enough, it doesn't have any jumpers whatsoever.

Also, right now I have the Gotek's jumpers set to S1 and MO. Looks like with these settings the DSM-1 is at least able to write data to the image files. The IDC ribbon cable is reversed (i.e. the red stripe is on the right) as it doesn't work the other way (?).

What's really frustrating, is that there's no input from Jeff.

Image Image Image Image Image

agent29

Post by agent29 »

One thing I have noticed from the uploaded pictures is the "JA" pins do not have a jumper closing them, the Korg does need this!, try placing a jumper on these pins. I would try it with the "MO" jumper removed as well. This will help to see when the DSM is accessing the drive and it also may be hindering the motor sensing as the green LED is always lit instead of illuminating only when the DSM accesses the drive.

I have the following samplers with the same gotek drive fitted:

Casio FZ-10m, Roland S-550, Akai S900 and the DSS-1's ofcourse

All samplers have required just the "JA" (ready on pin 34) and drive id select jumpers either S0 or S1, with the only exception of the S900 that also needs the "M0" jumper aswell.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

agent29 wrote: All samplers have required just the "JA" (ready on pin 34)
Don't put anything jumper to "JA" with the HxC firmware ! This is the third button "select" connector.
To have the same behavior use the hxc software to setup the cfg file.

kktheory

Post by kktheory »

Here's what disk image looks like after it's formatted by the DSM-1. Definitely looks like a HxC firmware problem to me. (DSM-1 is still able to write data to image files, but not format them)