Gotek and Korg DSM-1

Jeff
Site Admin

Re: Gotek and Korg DSM-1

Post by Jeff »

kktheory wrote:Here's what disk image looks like after it's formatted by the DSM-1. Definitely looks like a HxC firmware problem to me. (DSM-1 is still able to write data to image files, but not format them)

Send me this HFE file !

kktheory

Post by kktheory »

Agent29, it's all solved now. Jeff sent me a new test version of the HxC firmware and my DSM-1 is in full working state again :)

Thanks a lot to you and Jeff for your help and input. Truly appreciate it!

agent29

Post by agent29 »

Great news kktheory :D. glad you're all sorted.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

The update was pushed on the server.

nkovac

Post by nkovac »

Hey, kktheory, would it be to much to ask you if you could make detailed tutorial how to successfully replace Korg DSM-1 floppy with gotek drive and HxC software. for instance what is the final jumper position, and what kind of USB/TTL converter did you use? where can one buy such converter.
Thank you!

garysome1

Post by garysome1 »

Thanks to kktheory for going through this first! Here's a recipe...

Buy (in addition to HxC firmware):
Gotek floppy drive emulator (and wait a month for delivery):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... -_-Product
FTDI USB to TTL adapter (and wait 3 weeks for delivery):
https://www.amazon.com/XCSOURCE-FT232RL ... CE+FT232RL

Reprogram the Gotek with HxC firmware:
See kktheory's http://funkyimg.com/view/2cjC2 for Gotek pins and take a picture of the FTDI board and enlarge to be able to read its pin legends with human eyes:
-FTDI GND pin to Gotek pin P2 GND (either of the two middle pins)
-FTDI VCC pin to Gotek pin P2 +5V
-FTDI TX pin to Gotek J4 *
-FTDI RX pin to Gotek hole next to J4 (middle of 5 holes) *
Connect Gotek J3 to hole right next to J3 to enable programming *
* tricky as it is just a hole, you can solder or find some way to ensure contact

Connect FTDI USB to computer and run the SecSerialBridge software (Windows required) from Jeff and follow the clear directions provided (including resetting the Gotek).
Remove FTDI USB from computer and disconnect all the wires.
Set these Gotek jumpers: MO and S0
-DSM-1 does not work at all without S0
-DSM-1 does not write data without MO (but will format disks)

Setup USB drive:
-Used a 16GB USB 2.0 driven 8GB will do.
-Formatted as MS-DOS (FAT) using the macOS Disk Utility. Name of drive doesn't matter
-Copied latest HxC firmware (which was HXCFEUSB_HFE_V3_0_8_2a.upd when I did it) to USB drive root directory.
-Choose HxC "Indexed mode" by copying "Config_Files\Indexed_mode\HXCSDFE.CFG" from the HxC download into the USB drive root directory.
-Copied all the DSM-1 ".HFE" disk files to the root USB drive named DSKA0000.HFE, DSKA0001.HFE, DSKA0002.HFE,…
--Notes on CopyQM and HxCFloppyEmulator below to create the .HFE files
--Do not skip locations; if you don't have DSKA0011.HFE you can't get to DSKA0012.HFE.
--Suggestion: fill all locations with files (DSKA0000.HFE to DSKA0999.HFE) with copies of disk images so you can use/overwrite them later.
-Put the USB drive in the Gotek

Replace the floppy drive in the DSM-1 with the Gotek:
Great description:
http://www.wiseguysynth.com/larry/dsm-1/drives.htm
-Gotek not as deep DSM-1's floppy drive (Sony MP-F73W-00D) but the cables reach fine and are in the right orientation.
-Gotek face is not as large as the DSM-1's floppy drive so I cut mylar as a bezel and backed it with some foam core

Power up the DSM-1 while holding down both buttons on the Gotek drive to make the HxC firmware update itself from the "HXCFEUSB_HFE_V3_0_8_2a.upd" file mentioned earlier. You do not need to do this on subsequent power ups unless you want to upgrade the firmware.
Load some floppies and make some great music!

CopyQM and making .HFE files:
You can figure out how to make diskette images from your DSM-1 or DSS-1 diskettes using CopyQM from this great info:
http://www.wiseguysynth.com/larry/dss-1/copyqm.htm
Quick notes:
-Set write protect tab on DSM-1/DSS-1 diskettes as you'd feel awful if you would accidentally overwrite them
-Requires DOS or old Windows (95, 98)
-Run cqmenu.exe and choose these settings:
--CopyQM mode of operation: Create a image file
--Controller access method: BIOS Access (you might need to use Direct Hardware Access if BIOS Access doesn't work)
--Source for master diskette: choose your floppy drive, likely "A:"
--Must master be write protected?: Yes
--Format Conversion: No
--Copy in "Blind" mode?: Yes
--Ignore source data errors?: No
--who cares when it beeps…
-When CopyQM is doing its work it tells you information about the disk that is helpful when using HxCFloppyEmulator
--DSS-1 disks: 800K, 1024 sector size, 5 sectors/track, 2 sides, low density, 80 cylinders
--DSM-1 disks: 1600K, 1024 sector size, 10 sectors/track, 2 sides, high density, 80 cylinders
-Convert the diskette images to HFE format using HxCFloppyEmulator:
--Choose Batch Converter
--Set Source and Target directories
--Select "Treat input files as RAW files" and in the dialog choose Predefined Disk Layout to Custom Disk Layout and modify these fields:
---For DSM-1 images: Track type MFM, 80 Number of Track, 2 Sides, 10 Sector per track, 1024 Bytes Sector Size
---For DSS-1 images: Track type MFM, 80 Number of Track, 1 Side, 5 Sector per track, 1024 Bytes Sector Size
--Select "Convert"

garysome1

Post by garysome1 »

whoops, second to last line wrong in previous post (should be 2 Sides). So corrected:
---For DSS-1 images: Track type MFM, 80 Number of Track, 2 Sides, 5 Sector per track, 1024 Bytes Sector Size

DSSDAN

Post by DSSDAN »

Hi - I have a Korg DSS-1 that I'm trying to update with a USB drive (sadly I'm a better musician than tech expert!).

I've read through your post and tried to follow the steps, but haven't managed to get the USB drive working with my synth. Here's the emulator I purchased: SFRM72-FU-DL USB Floppy Drive Emulator. I'm pretty sure it's the right one.

For a DSS-1 do the files need to be .dsk or .hfe? I wasn't sure if this was just a DSM thing.
Do I need to flash the Gotek to make it work? The one I purchased stated 'suitable for Korg synths' so hoping it would be ready to go.

If anyone could give me a step by step guide on what I need to do I'd be very grateful. Just keen to play the old 'aircraft carrier' again!

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Is the drive flashed with the HxC firmware ?

DSSDAN

Post by DSSDAN »

I now suspect not. Please can you advise how this is done.

It's all rigged up the DSS-1 but when I insert a usb with the config file and .hfe files I can't select a disk. If I tried to load one using system 1 on the Korg it just hands on 'loading'.

DSSDAN

Post by DSSDAN »

Hi Jeff,

I'd like to purchase the firmware to flash my USB emulator, but can you advise if this will work with a Gotek SFRM72-FU-DL and my Korg DSS1.

Also, do I need to purchase something like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/tinxi%C2%AE-FT ... Port+TE203

Thank you in advance for your assistance. :D

tmatos75

Post by tmatos75 »

DSSDAN, did you ever get the usb emulator to work with your DSS1?
If so, what did you do?
I'm in the same boat.
thanks

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

tmatos75 wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 1:52 pm
DSSDAN, did you ever get the usb emulator to work with your DSS1?
If so, what did you do?
I'm in the same boat.
thanks
Get this :
https://hxc2001.com/store/index.html