Roland Atelier at90s organ

HxC Floppy Emulator Roland Samplers/Keyboards support
Fchazz

Roland Atelier at90s organ

Post by Fchazz »

Has anyone on here had success with installing a gotech into a Roland Atelier at90s organ?

Jeff
Site Admin

Re: Roland Atelier at90s organ

Post by Jeff »

Fchazz wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 3:20 pm
Has anyone on here had success with installing a gotech into a Roland Atelier at90s organ?
SD HxC and Gotek HxC floppy emulator drives work with the Roland Atelier at90s.

Fchazz

Post by Fchazz »

I have installed a gotek with HxC bootloader and firmware. The jumper is on S1. The organ can read from the stick just fine. When I try to save a set of registrations to a blank floppy image I get "unknown disk". When I try to have the organ reformat one of the blank floppies, I get "disk ejected".
Any suggestions?

Fchazz

Post by Fchazz »

Solved, thanks Jean-François.

SimplePuss

Re: Roland Atelier at80s organ

Post by SimplePuss »

I have a Roland Atelier 80S and also want to replace its FD drive with a Gotek. Could you let me know what model and firmware configuration you used? Your help would be appreciated.

JCote

Post by JCote »

Hi, I have the same setup and my drive and organ cannot read the HFE files... Any suggestions? I'm going crazy trying to figure this out. I know that it read a midi file and a Roland registration file but no idea how to read the HFE file.
Thanks!!!!

SimplePuss

Re: Roland Atelier at80s organ

Post by SimplePuss »

SimplePuss wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2022 6:05 pm
I have a Roland Atelier 80S and also want to replace its FD drive with a Gotek. Could you let me know what model and firmware configuration you used? Your help would be appreciated.
I have managed to get the Gotek functioning correctly, and which should work in my Roland AT80.

SimplePuss

Post by SimplePuss »

JCote wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 6:56 pm
Hi, I have the same setup and my drive and organ cannot read the HFE files... Any suggestions? I'm going crazy trying to figure this out. I know that it read a midi file and a Roland registration file but no idea how to read the HFE file.
Thanks!!!!
The MIDI and Registration files (or any file) are saved onto a virtual disk which are what the HFE files are. Just think of each HFE file on the USB stick as being a formatted floppy disk.

However, I may be able to help, but need I a couple of days to gather all the information you would require. This applies to the SFR1M44-U100K GoTek 1.44MB USB SSD Floppy Drive Emulator with OLED display, Rotary knob and loudspeaker. Aside, have you bought the firmware from HxC?

JCote

Post by JCote »

Hi, thank you! Actually, I am looking at buying that exact drive. The one I have is the SFRC922D.

I don't think it can be updated as far as I have researched. Maybe it's worth it just to swap it out?

SimplePuss

Post by SimplePuss »

I think you may be looking at the number printed at the corner of the Printed Circuit Board, which is the same as mine, therefore should work with the appropriate firmware update. The model I am using is listed as the SFR1M44-U100K GoTek 1.44MB USB SSD Floppy Drive Emulator. What Gotek did you actually buy? See http://www.gotekemulator.com/P_view.asp?pid=55

SimplePuss

Post by SimplePuss »

I have a Roland Atelier AT80SL (similar) to the 90, and have resolved the problem. I spent an hour writing up my results, but Torlus log me out and lost everything I wrote. I will try writing it up again tomorrow.

SimplePuss

Re: Roland Organs Atelier AT90, AT80, AT70 Series Floppy Emulator

Post by SimplePuss »

I have resolved my problem with the Gotek floppy emulator not working correctly in my Roland Atelier 80SL electronic organ. The fix which I present below should apply to other Roland organs in the AT70 and AT90 range, which according to my Roland User manual also includes these models. The floppy drives in these organs are standard 1.44M IBM PC compatible.

I will not cover the method of flashing the firmware of the Gotek emulator for which there is a lot of information available from Gotek, HxC and wealth of websites.

I used a SFR1M44-U100K Gotek emulator to which I added an OLED display, Rotary Control and Loudspeaker. I recommend the loudspeaker as it gives reassuring ticks when reading and writing data.

Initially I flashed my Gotek with HxC’s firmware. This procedure was simple enough. I copied some HxC image files (.HFE) to a flash drive together with the Hxc (.CFG) configuration file.

After changing the address of the Gotek (S0/S1) I installed it into a PC with a floppy disk drive interface and running Windows 10. IT WORKED; edit, copy, delete, rename, format, but the real trouble began after installing the Gotek in the organ. Yes, it worked, but not properly. The organ displayed error messages on its display even though it performed some of the tasks. This was too unreliable.

NOTE - The jumper on the Gotek should be set to (S1) for the organ.

I won’t bore you with the details, but after many hours I found a solution which works reliably (saves, loads, deletes, renames, disk edit, disk format), and no error messages.

1. Flash your Gotek with the HxC firmware.

Do NOT use HxC’s image (.HFE) files on your flash drive, but do the following:

2. Download the [Gotek Software Suite] of programs and unzip them.

3. Open the folder [USB Floppy Emulator V2]

4. Run the USB_Floppy_Manager_v140i.exe (Batch Manager Tool)

5. Insert a Flash Drive into a USB port on your computer (Do not use a very old flash drive.) I have tested flash
drives of various manufactures and sizes, and only one very old flash drive failed.

6. Select [USB Flash Drive] from the horizontal menu. Click on [Format] from the drop down menu.

7. From the [Format] window select 1.44M format and the number of floppy disks required.

8. Click on [Begin to Format]

9. You will see a list of the virtual drives listed in the righthand panel.

10. Exit the program, and copy any configuration files [.CFG] to the ROOT of the flash drive.

11. The flash drive is now ready to be used.

Pre-loading Organ Registrations and Song files etc

You can use the Gotek [Batch Manager Tool], as above, to pre-load all your old organ floppy disk files.

Double click your mouse or right click on one of the virtual disks to open it. A separate window will be displayed.

Locate the files to be copied and [Ctrl]+[Left Mouse Button] to drag them to this windows. Alternatively, [Crtl]+[C]] and [Ctrl]+[V] to copy and paste.

DO NOT FORGET TO SAVE THE CONTENTS OF EACH VIRTUAL DISK BY RIGHT CLICKING ON ITS SERIAL NUMBER FOLLOWED BY [Save] after which the percentage used space with be displayed.

NOTE - An error message may appear on the organ's touch panel if an operation is selected before the virtual floppy has completed loading which would be normal under this circumstance.

SimplePuss

Post by SimplePuss »

Please see my post of 12-06-22 which may be of help.