Is a converted IMG exactly the same as an OUT?

HxC Floppy Emulator Roland Samplers/Keyboards support
Jidis

Is a converted IMG exactly the same as an OUT?

Post by Jidis »

I've been using an HxC emu in my S-550, but made some images I would like to share, so I followed the procedure I saw here for converting the HFEs back to IMG files (which could be renamed as OUTs).

Renaming and dumping the OUTs back to 720k floppies (with SDISKW) and trying to read them in the Roland with the original drive wasn't 100% smooth though and I can't figure out if it's just a hardware or driver issue on the XP PC, or if the IMG files don't make compliant OUTs for some reason. The Roland countdown will usually turn red at some point while reading them and retry a couple times (usually with an error).

The catch is- Something called "Floppy Image" has been able to write working 720's, but they are being loaded as the original converted IMG files rather than renamed OUTs.

Thanks!

Jeff
Site Admin

Re: Is a converted IMG exactly the same as an OUT?

Post by Jeff »

Jidis wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:54 pm
I've been using an HxC emu in my S-550, but made some images I would like to share, so I followed the procedure I saw here for converting the HFEs back to IMG files (which could be renamed as OUTs).

Renaming and dumping the OUTs back to 720k floppies (with SDISKW) and trying to read them in the Roland with the original drive wasn't 100% smooth though and I can't figure out if it's just a hardware or driver issue on the XP PC, or if the IMG files don't make compliant OUTs for some reason. The Roland countdown will usually turn red at some point while reading them and retry a couple times (usually with an error).

The catch is- Something called "Floppy Image" has been able to write working 720's, but they are being loaded as the original converted IMG files rather than renamed OUTs.

Thanks!
if possible try to export the hfe to imd files and use ImageDisk under msdos to write them to the floppy disks.

Jidis

Re: Is a converted IMG exactly the same as an OUT?

Post by Jidis »

Jeff wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:35 pm
if possible try to export the hfe to imd files and use ImageDisk under msdos to write them to the floppy disks.
Thanks Jeff! The Floppy Image app seemed to make a couple working disks when I tried it, so I'm probably OK getting them back onto floppies, but I was mainly interested in uploading the images somewhere where all the other files are in Roland OUT format, and wanted to make sure others could use them.

One thing I hadn't tried was maybe writing IMGs to disk with Floppy Image then reading them back to OUT files with one of the Roland utilities, but it's a lot of work if the OUT and IMG formats are supposed to be identical.

Thanks Again