AKAI S700

HxC Floppy Emulator Akai Keyboards/Samplers support
reboot

AKAI S700

Post by reboot »

hello

my akai s700 have a quick disk drive..

how can i connect my Hdx sd on it , if it's possible ?
thank you

Jeff
Site Admin

Re: AKAI S700

Post by Jeff »

reboot wrote:hello

my akai s700 have a quick disk drive..

how can i connect my Hdx sd on it , if it's possible ?
thank you
Not for the moment, but if you can provide some informations i will have a look. Can you make a picture of the internal connection and of the FDC used on the motherboard ?

reboot

Post by reboot »

sorry for last answer , the drive as a 10 pin socket .

thank you .

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

reboot wrote:sorry for last answer , the drive as a 10 pin socket .

thank you .
a picture please ?

Rob Ocelot

Post by Rob Ocelot »

Reviving this old thread.

I have an Akai S-612 with MD-280 Quick Disk drive. The drive is not working but I'm reasonably sure the interface/controller board is working (powers up another QD drive scavenged from a Yamaha FB-01 -- but this drive needs a belt replacement)

Give me a day or two and I can upload pictures of the 10 pin connector and the controller board.

If we can get this working then it would also help Roland S-10 and Famicom Disk System owners.

Disk format, sector and track info:

http://wiki.nesdev.com/w/index.php/Fami ... isk_System

I'm about 90% sure the FDS used the same format as the samplers. As far as I am aware no one has dumped/imaged one of the sampler Quick Disks to PC using one of the pirate FDS dumpers.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Rob Ocelot wrote:Reviving this old thread.

I have an Akai S-612 with MD-280 Quick Disk drive. The drive is not working but I'm reasonably sure the interface/controller board is working (powers up another QD drive scavenged from a Yamaha FB-01 -- but this drive needs a belt replacement)

Give me a day or two and I can upload pictures of the 10 pin connector and the controller board.

If we can get this working then it would also help Roland S-10 and Famicom Disk System owners.

Disk format, sector and track info:

http://wiki.nesdev.com/w/index.php/Fami ... isk_System

I'm about 90% sure the FDS used the same format as the samplers. As far as I am aware no one has dumped/imaged one of the sampler Quick Disks to PC using one of the pirate FDS dumpers.
Hi,
We have some internals project to provide a solution to dump and emulate this kind of disk.
So stay tuned ;)

(Waiting for the pictures)

adsr75

Post by adsr75 »

Is there a chance to get the floppy emulator working in replacement of a QD 2,8 drive ?
Like in Akai S612 / 700 / X7000/ X3700 - Roland S10 / S220 / MKS100 - Korg SQD1 / SQD8 - Yamaha MDF1 ?
In some Thomson and Sinclair computers too...
(Most of these Mitsumi Quick Disk drives are dead now).

Unusually, the Quick Disk utilizes "a continuous linear tracking of the head and thus creates a single spiral track along the disk similar to a record groove."[45] This has led some to compare it more to a "tape-stream" unit than typically what is thought of as a random-access disk drive. (wiki)

Highly interested, I'm not a technician, but would be pleased to help if I can, cheers !

pulkomandy

Post by pulkomandy »

I don't know about the others, but the Thomson floppy controller seems to handle QDDs pretty much like a single-track floppy.
http://www.alternative-system.com/speci ... T_TO8.html, part 3, section 9 hassome information in french.

* No STEP command
* No motor ON
* No index pulse

But the THMFC1 is a custom controller, it may be doing many things differently when a QDD is detected.

orgo

Post by orgo »

is there any news on this? Did someone try this succesfully yet?

THX

Liam_79

Post by Liam_79 »

Just to bump this up a bit... Working on a floppy emulator for 10 pin Quikdisk drives could be quite profitable I'm sure. I've seen devices that use these rare drives just tossed into a skip before (in this case 8 Akai X7000s thrown out by a university). A floppy emulator could be their only hope.

I can't speak for other devices but there are plenty of X7000 owners (well, me for starters) out there that would love to keep a library of samples on one SD card. They're a decent quality keyboard and the sound is gritty and punchy. Nice simple interface too.

Anyway, to those that have the knowledge of floppy emulation, you could save countless mid-eighties samplers and game consoles from total destruction by emulating this obscure format....somehow.

msoutheron

Post by msoutheron »

Has there been any update on this?
I also have an Akai X7000 with a busted Quick Disk drive

MatthewleBlom

Post by MatthewleBlom »

Hi all,

I'd like to tune in here.
Recently I bought an Akai S700.

I've succesfully built in Gotek units in these samplers: Casio FZ10m (not mine), Oberheim DPX-1 (also nog mine), Akai S950, Akai MPC60II and a Roland s330 and I VERY happy with the results :D
If someday an emulator will be present for the QuickDisk drives or if some beta testers are needed I'd e happy to spend some time on this!

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

QuickDisk Emulation done in the HxC Firmware for Gotek :

viewtopic.php?f=2&p=21010#p20956

:wink: