Akai S950

HxC Floppy Emulator Akai Keyboards/Samplers support
Jeff
Site Admin

Re: Akai S950

Post by Jeff »

Feliks wrote:I was trying empty disk images when attempting to save files, If I try the S950 images from the zip file the S950 says it needs to format the disk. Then I format the empty disc image on the S950 but when I try to save any samples it says "Disk full".
Ok understand. The firmware you have doesn't support the format. There is an new firmware in your email box supporting it.
Let me know if all is ok.

Feliks

Post by Feliks »

Ok, I just installed the new firmware and this is a little odd....The contrast has still been blocked out (like the pics) since earlier, However when I started the sampler to install the FW update the LCD was blocked out, but once the firmware had installed the text appeared really clearly (just long enough to display the Firmware version) and then the contrast reverted back to super high. It seems strange that the Firmware can (temporarily) override the contrast problem I'm having.

I also now can't save programs or samples to the SD card. No matter what I do the S950 asks me to format the disk. Once it's formatted I try to save to that Image and it asks me to format again.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Feliks wrote: I also now can't save programs or samples to the SD card. No matter what I do the S950 asks me to format the disk. Once it's formatted I try to save to that Image and it asks me to format again.
Send me back the HFE file by email.

EDIT : And if not already done, try the same operations on the purdy drums image.

Feliks

Post by Feliks »

I can't actually see any of the text on the lcd right now so I have no idea which image is being selected, making it very hard to test that "Purdy drums" file or to access any specific image files as there's no real way to identify them with the screen out of action.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Feliks wrote:I can't actually see any of the text on the lcd right now so I have no idea which image is being selected, making it very hard to test that "Purdy drums" file or to access and specific image files as there's no real way to identify them with the screen out of action.
In this case remove all other images.

Since your LCD doesn't work, you should activate and use the "indexed mode" :

https://hxc2001.com/download/floppy_driv ... al_ENG.pdf
Page 9 for more details.
Attached the right CFG file for this mode.

Just rename the wanted HFE file to DSKA0000.HFE and copy the attached cfg file to the sd.
The DSKA0000.HFE file will be loaded at power up.
Attachments
HXCSDFE_indexedmode.zip
(215 Bytes) Downloaded 660 times

Feliks

Post by Feliks »

I removed everything from the card except for the unzipped cfg file you just linked to and the "purdy drums" hfe file, all programs and samples loaded and saved again without any issues :D
My contrast is still screwed up though.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Feliks wrote:I removed everything from the card except for the unzipped cfg file you just linked to and the "purdy drums" hfe file, all programs and samples loaded and saved again without any issues :D
My contrast is still screwed up though.
Can you send me back the working HFE ?

Feliks

Post by Feliks »

Here's the HFE file from my SD card. I didn't format the image vai the S950 or anything, I literally just loaded the samples into my S950 then saved them back over the existing version of the "purdy drums".

Edit - I tried to attach the file but it doesn't seem to have worked. I'll email it over to you.

Feliks

Post by Feliks »

I've found another S950 I can test this drive in, I'll try it today and let you know what happens.
Failing that, Is the resistor modification going cause issues with trying this drive in my Emax?

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Feliks wrote:I've found another S950 I can test this drive in, I'll try it today and let you know what happens.
Failing that, Is the resistor modification going cause issues with trying this drive in my Emax?
No should not be a problem.

winsten

Post by winsten »

Jeff wrote:
Feliks wrote:I've found another S950 I can test this drive in, I'll try it today and let you know what happens.
No should not be a problem.
so if I get resistor mod for a hxc, I can use in s950 and any other sampler? say a s3000xl? sp1200? s2800? emu-esi32?

winsten

Post by winsten »

Hi guys still need the information

can the hxc save the full amount of keywords on a fully maxed out s950?

I read that hd disks can be saved with the s950 but do these disks allow the full amount of data held in ram to be saved on a single disk?

also

if I get the resistor mod needed for the s950 , would I be able to take out the hxc and use in any other sample if it has had the resistor mod done to the hxc?

Thanks

Feliks

Post by Feliks »

Hi guys,
I just wanted to drop in and say that my s950 woes are over. Lotharek sorted the issue I was having with screen contrast and now my HxC drive works perfectly.
Thanks to Jeff & Lotharek for all the help and troubleshooting advice. :D

winsten wrote:can the hxc save the full amount of keywords on a fully maxed out s950?
I read that hd disks can be saved with the s950 but do these disks allow the full amount of data held in ram to be saved on a single disk?
Yes, the HxC can save the full amount of keywords but the disk images I have been using are only 720kb DD Disk images so you need to use 2-3 images to save all contents of the 2.2mb ram on a s950. I have no experience with HD disks so far.

winsten

Post by winsten »

Feliks wrote:Hi guys,
I just wanted to drop in and say that my s950 woes are over. Lotharek sorted the issue I was having with screen contrast and now my HxC drive works perfectly.
Thanks to Jeff & Lotharek for all the help and troubleshooting advice. :D

winsten wrote:can the hxc save the full amount of keywords on a fully maxed out s950?
Yes, the HxC can save the full amount of keywords but the disk images I have been using are only 720kb DD Disk images so you need to use 2-3 images to save all contents of the 2.2mb ram on a s950. I have no experience with HD disks so far.
thanks for the information,

how about larger floppy sizes for eg I seen a custom 4.5mb mpc 3000 floppy image http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iet4gD4qcRo

I want to be able to store full ram contents onto one disk,

also jeff any opinions on my overclock idea? feeding data faster to the actual device with user selectable increments for eg

speed 100%-990%

see if these devices can take data at a faster rate.

TSR

Post by TSR »

Hi there, newbie to the site!

Got my HXC Rev F drive some days ago, made the 2 k resistor mod and installed the latest firmware. Afterwards I tested the drive by means of the Quick-Install-Images.

These are the results.
- Loading Purdy Drums = ok
- Changing drive, e.g. some of those "empty_disk_xxx" = ok
- Saving single samples or programs to this empty disk = ok
- Loading these again from the drive = ok

However, there is obviously something wrong with the amount of disk capacity:
- I cannot save all contents of "Purdy Drums" to a new drive, so it says 0 % at the beginning, meaning these are actually empty.
- Formatting the drive = ok, but afterwards it says 54 %. So it seems like HD and FD drive capacities are mixed up somehow.

Any ideas?