Re: Akai S950

Post by Jeff »

Jeff wrote:Any wattage is ok.

Yes this is this place.

aaking76

Post by aaking76 »

Cant get High Density images to work...

I am attaching the images, I have no problem with DD,I have backed up many and they all work, but I have not gotten one HD image to work...

The .AKAI file is here, I made it with omniflop, using the s950 hd setting
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/18509785/CRUMAR1.AKAI

and here is the HFE made the same as I have been making dd only changing to hd setting.
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/18509785/CRUMAR.hfe

I am really happy so far, but really need to get this High Density thing worked out...

Thanks,

Any help will be greatly appreciated, I also just did a blog post about this adventure...
http://bitvoltage.com/mod-your-akai-s95 ... rd-reader/

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

The image looks good. Did you have applied the resistor mod ?
Firmware version used ?

aaking76

Post by aaking76 »

Yes I have the resistor mod, and thanks for chaecking my images...

It ended up being a setting in the emulator itself that I must have changed during initial trouble shooting...

in the main menu, I had chosen akai dd images, I changed that to from hfe file, and now it
WORKS!!!

YAY, thanks again....

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

aaking76 wrote:Yes I have the resistor mod, and thanks for chaecking my images...

It ended up being a setting in the emulator itself that I must have changed during initial trouble shooting...

in the main menu, I had chosen akai dd images, I changed that to from hfe file, and now it
WORKS!!!

YAY, thanks again....
Yes common mistake. I will make a "trouble shooting" page to help to solve this kind of misconfiguration.

Feliks

Post by Feliks »

Hi everyone,

I've been trying to avoid posting unnecessarily and had hoped to solve my problem myself but I've been re-reading this thread over and over for the past 3 days and I'm still having issues with HxC rev F in my S950.

So far, not a single version of the HxC Config file has worked, every possible version I try to load says "BAD FILE!" and whenever I try to load or save anything from the S950 to a floppy image on the disk it shows "Disk is unprepared, you must FORMAT it.........."

My HxC drive has the R12 resistor mod (Installed by Lotharek) as well as the correct jumper setting (ID0A is the only switch in "on" position) and the HxC also has the latest firmware (1.7.2.0) installed.

PLEASE HELP! :?

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

And with this ? :
https://hxc2001.com/download/floppy_driv ... Images.zip

Have you formatted your SD in FAT32 ?

EDIT : about the "BAD FILE" - this is normal since you need to load an HFE file, not a CFG file.

Feliks

Post by Feliks »

My SD card is a Sandisk 4gb SDHC, Formatted in FAT32 on OSX, Is that likely to cause any problems?

I've tried the S950 disk Images from that Zip file with no success.

What should I try next?

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Feliks wrote:My SD card is a Sandisk 4gb SDHC, Formatted in FAT32 on OSX, Is that likely to cause any problems?

I've tried the S950 disk Images from that Zip file with no success.

What should I try next?
When you select an HFE file, what can you read on the LCD ?
"RA ....." at the second line ?

EDIT : If you always see a "RA" at the the second line, with all hxc LED always on and without any other behavior when you try to read the disk, this means that the floppy cable is not connected to the right way. In this case, reconnect it to the other way (the colored wire to the opposite).

Feliks

Post by Feliks »

When I try to access a .HFE file it displays "RA" followed by Track data counts and stuff.

Does that mean I should reverse the floppy cable?

Also, it appears that the screen contrast on my HxC drive is turned up as the characters have become hard to see when looking at them straight on. I have to look at the screen from a slightly upward angle to make out the writing. Is this a fault?

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Feliks wrote:When I try to access a .HFE file it displays "RA" followed by Track data counts and stuff.
Does that mean I should reverse the floppy cable?
S:1 at the end ? If yes -> YES.
Feliks wrote: Also, it appears that the screen contrast on my HxC drive is turned up as the characters have become hard to see when looking at them straight on. I have to look at the screen from a slightly upward angle to make out the writing. Is this a fault?
a picture please ?
And a picture of the floppy power supply connector !

Feliks

Post by Feliks »

Ok......

It did say S:1, I tried to open my sampler to change the floppy cable back but a screw on my S950 threaded so I can't get into my S950 at all.

Also, I can't get a decent pic, my only camera is a crappy cellphone camera and I don't have anywhere to upload the pic to.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Feliks wrote:Ok......

It did say S:1, I tried to open my sampler to change the floppy cable back but a screw on my S950 threaded so I can't get into my S950 at all.
You have no choice : you must reconnect the floppy cable correctly !

Feliks

Post by Feliks »

Jeff wrote:
Feliks wrote:Ok......

You have no choice : you must reconnect the floppy cable correctly !
I know, Just need to go buy some screw extractors now before I can do anything else.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Feliks wrote:
I know, Just need to go buy some screw extractors now before I can do anything else.
Buy some screw extractors ? Seriously ?