Akai s950 + Gotek capacitor mod

HxC Floppy Emulator Akai Keyboards/Samplers support
ofmgk

Akai s950 + Gotek capacitor mod

Post by ofmgk »

Hello, I have an older Gotek USB model, SFRC922C imprinted on SFRM72-FU-FL (possibly pre-2016).

I installed & flashed hxc inside an s950 years back.. For a period of time it was able to sample, save & load no problem. Started getting s950 error messages (Bad data from disk) during loading & saving, wasn't predictable so I got frustrated, too lazy to keep removing from racks & opening, etc.. so forgot about it. Recently upgraded the firmware, still no change so I opened it up to see if a ribbon was incorrect but the only other direction of connection gives the "rib" error on the gotek screen and does not read partitions.

After reviewing multiple posts I'm assessing that it is in need of a resistor mod, somewhere. However most posts I've referenced seem to be for the Rev F model from hxc, where my Gotek model was via ebay. I just read a post on another forum where the resistor can be placed on the s950 instead of inside the emulator, but the posts seem to indicate multiple 'mods' so I'm confused if this just 1 position to choose or if multiple mods must be done.

Either
1. resistor swapped in the s950 at R18-- I'm desoldering the old s950 resistor for a new 4.7k ohm 1/4" (due to low signal current on the s950 data lines..?)
2. resistor added in the Gotek-- 2.2k ohm resistor soldered on pin 30 (Read Data), I'm assuming underneath is easier to solder vs the top. I'm confusing if it's just the resistor soldered to the 2 parallel pins of the 34 pin connector?
or 3. both places?

Would just choosing 1 would be sufficient? My desoldering skills are subpar so would like to make this as quick & least painful for both myself and my Akai/Gotek, so if I can solder a couple things on the Gotek I think that would be the safest..

Hope this question wasn't too confusing, appreciate the help!

R

Jeff
Site Admin

Re: Akai s950 + Gotek capacitor mod

Post by Jeff »

I think that your issue probably related to your usb stick or the s950 power supply.

Try to use a new usb stick if possible.

ofmgk

Post by ofmgk »

Hey Jeff,
So I formatted a different usb and copied the files over from the older USB but I'm getting the same "Oops Bad Data from Disk" message as before. I checked the PSU and all the caps look fine, no leaking or cracked solder joints.. I could try to reflow some solder on the underside of the PSU but it still appears to be rather healthy.

Do you recommend I try the capacitor mod somewhere on the 950 board or inside the gotek?

Thanks for the help!

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Try to use some S950 images from this archive :

https://hxc2001.com/download/floppy_dri ... Images.zip

And you can also try to update the Gotek firmware :

https://hxc2001.com/download/floppy_dri ... rmware.zip

https://hxc2001.com/docs/gotek-floppy-e ... pdate.html

And also reset the internal settings :

<<To clear/reset all settings to the default values, press the Gotek’s right button at power up during 5 seconds.>>

ofmgk

Post by ofmgk »

So my drive was initially formatted with that same archived s950 IMG link you recommended, I copied that link's contents onto new USB but realized it's the same s950 IMG I use on my old USB.

I also tried to update the firmware again, as well as reset the internals on the gotek but unfortunately it doesn't seem to make any improvements.

One of the DSK files on my USB also freezes the s950 after it mounts in gotek and I hit Disk, which is a recent issue I forgot to mention. I'm wondering if there was too many samples taking up space.

Do the modern LCDs cause any power issues for the emulators? I think I replaced the floppy & new LCD at the same time after I purchased. After opening it up recently I think I noticed the old LCD inverter in there still, so just wondering if that could be any issue.

Any other recommendations or ideas?

Thanks again for your help!